eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Why don't more sellers accept google checkout?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of good input in this thread. I accept both GCO and paypal (love the roll of pennies thought, aspen, ain't that the truth lmao?).

I am kind of uneasy about GCO, though, even though I am taking it because some customers want it. I'm reading different threads and experiences, here and on other forums across the internet, and am seeing a distinct 'Big Brother' approach by Google to sellers who do accept GCO.

Like allnatural's experience on this thread. Now, Paypal to some is the devil, to other's a saint, but I don't believe they try to determine what your listings state on your own PRIVATE non-Ebay website. The fact that Google runs the most used and biggest search engine out there right now, combined with the fact that they seem eager to be website policemen (women, people, insert the PC term you prefer lol), that they recently rolled out an "experimental" search engine, are now planning on offering domain registration (from what I've read, that's mainly to be able to acquire more information)....well, it just makes me uneasy, that's all.

I didn't leave Ebay's police state to have Google now tell me how I can run my site and pilfer my customers' information (they are MY customers, why should I not be able to see what their email address is??)

For now, I don't accept GCO on my website, just direct them here to my ecrater store...

Just sign me,

PARANOID lol

and happy holidays to all!
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
why should I not be able to see what their email address is??

I have only had 3 google payments. BUT only 1 had a google checkout email address - meaning the buyer opt out of having the real email address shown to me.
They other 2 did have the email.

BUT I didn't have a phone number on any of them. Which I often end up calling them because many times they will buy 2 pairs of pains in different sizes and I like to be sure they didn't screw up --- must of the time they did! Other times they want to see which size fits best before ordering more.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
poopsheet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eleganzajewels wrote:
Now, Paypal to some is the devil, to other's a saint, but I don't believe they try to determine what your listings state on your own PRIVATE non-Ebay website.

Not actively so, as far as I can tell, but it can and does happen -- at least in the context of items they consider to be "mature". Of course, that's about products for sale. But I'm not sure what else you may be referring to.

The thing is, it's difficult to see any corporate entity like that as good or friendly or whatever -- they just have to perform their function and you have to try and stay out of their way. Necessary evils and all that...
poopsheet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I just realized something. When you buy at eCrater using Google eCrater doesn't send you a notice, right? Is that because, technically, the eCrater checkout isn't completed? I just now realized (don't have Google in my own store yet) that when you hit "Buy Now" you have to choose either eCrater's checkout or Google Checkout.

I'm just talking out loud here -- I hadn't yet realized how it works. I really need to get it set up for my store...
bargainsforU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking about doing google checkout but have not done so yet. Been with Pay Pal from their beginning and most of my customers use Pay Pal.

Any positive points or negative points from anyone will be appreciated in helping me to make up my mind as to whether or not to do it.
rowsofclothes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had 5 sales so far. 2 have been through PayPal and the next 3 have been through Google Checkout. Google Checkout has NO processing fees for the next year. You are also giving your buyers more options. What more incentive do you need? Wink
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, BigTall, that's right, you can't see the customer's phone number, either. Don't always need it, but when you do, you DO lol.

Hey, poopsheet, how are ya? I had a run in with Google Checkout over on Base, and it wasn't pretty. They took issue with the fact that I used the term "designer inspired" on some of my jewelry. I understand there are a lot of sellers out there scamming folks with knock-offs. But, for instance, David Yurman is world famous for his sterling silver cable design jewelry. Now, I would call a non-Yurman sterling silver cable ring designer inspired, que no?

But, don't like the boats when they rock, so I took the "designer-inspired" off any and all of the listings. Now, on all my Base items, I have them set up to include a Google buy it now button as well as a link to my website. Google went one step further, followed the link and said I cannot use the term "designer inspired" on my website.

Well, that was enough for me. I might not even mind but "designer inspired jewelry" is a hugggge search engine search term (i.e., many, many buyers out there looking for the darned stuff) - so why would I in my right mind take the term off my website so I could save a small amount on processor fees? Capice?

Pennywise and pound-foolish to me Smile

Think you're right on the buy it nows. Don't think Ecrater has a "checkout", per se, it just directs you to a choice of checkout options. As long as you check your CGO account daily, you're good to go, that way no one gets missed.
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bargains4u:

It's a great new option, and treat just like that, another option for the convenience of your customers Smile

Do take the time to read the entire user agreement and the different policies (as you can see by my post above, I didn't read 'em all I guess lol) I swear, half the stuff I see people hollering about with Paypal is the exact same thing that would happen under similar circumstances with a merchant account - except instead of freezing your account or trying to subtract $$ from your Paypal account, a merch account processor will step into your bank account and grab the dough til the matter's resolved.

Brings me to another question - did a little reading on the chargeback scenario at GCO, I am not positive yet whether if there is an issue, they freeze your GCO account or take the $$ out of your bank account. I understand, as a seller, that due to the extreme amount of fraud on the internet, they do have to have some kind of protections for the buyers...just not sure yet how the GCO protection works!
Tsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Brings me to another question - did a little reading on the chargeback scenario at GCO, I am not positive yet whether if there is an issue, they freeze your GCO account or take the $$ out of your bank account. I understand, as a seller, that due to the extreme amount of fraud on the internet, they do have to have some kind of protections for the buyers...just not sure yet how the GCO protection works![quote]

They take it out of your personal account. That is where they transfer the money to so that's where they will get it back from. When they set up their own accounts that when I might get into google check out until then I'm don't like their set up yet. They want to much info they really don't need.

T
poopsheet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about setting up a bank account purely for your Google account? At least then you can control how much is in there at any given time (as opposed to a regular business or personal account that you use daily).

I know some people do that with PayPal, so maybe it's a good idea for Google as well..
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have checking accounts set up just for PayPal and now Google.
I leave $5 in it just to have the accoutn active. PayPal and Google monies go there. When they payments arrive I move them out. I have papers on file at the bank that under no circumstances can money be backed out without my knowledge - that means the bank has no option but to call me before they can allow it - of course the funds aren't even there and I would have to transfer them in if I were to do a refund or I happen to agree with the chargeback, like a lost in the mail item.

Google does not ask for any information that PayPal don't ask for or get without you actually telling them. Both have the right to run your credit report etc. This I totally understand. They are washing money for you - they have to know that you are legit or they can be in trouble too. At least google isn't a one man operation run out of his bbasement like PayPal was when it started. Yeah, thousands of people with money in "their PayPal accounts" and no one seem to question the fact of who this one man was. He could have taken alot of folks money and disappeared and many won't have even known his name but they allowed this guy to hold funds for them - crazy!
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What about setting up a bank account purely for your Google account? At least then you can control how much is in there at any given time (as opposed to a regular business or personal account that you use daily).

I know some people do that with PayPal, so maybe it's a good idea for Google as well

Works for me! The play money and the biz money, never the two shall meet (or be together for very long, anyway!)
remalysbooksncollectables

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just signed up for a Google account. I thought I better do it while they have the special going on. I will still keep my Pay Pal account open. I figured that I would give the customer another option. I have had 2 sells this month, that was shortly after I uploaded a few things. One paid through Paypal and the other paid by check. So I was happy with that result, it at least gives me some hope. But I am still adding much more. Got to get ready for Easter LOL.
Anyways, I figure the more options you give your customers the better chances of making sells if you accept their form of payment plan.
My 3 cents worth.
Happy Holidays Everyone,
Michelle
ClassicTreasures

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I figure the more options you give your customers the better chances of making sells if you accept their form of payment

Michelle, that is it! Exactly. It is not obligatory, just an option. I know of many people who have been waiting of a real competition to PayPal, even though they personally may not have been unfairly treated by PayPal - just because PayPal is owned by eBay, and some people do not like the idea of putting in money into the pockets of an eBay owned company.

For them, any company that can successfully compete with PayPal is welcome. At this point, nobody knows is GC wil manage to successfully take a share of the pie of on-line payments away from PayPal; but many may believe, it is worth a try. Because most sellers are also buyers, you never know, the very same people who post GC on their items for sale pages, may just pop into your store and purchase something from you, partly encouraged by the fact that you offer Goggle Checkout.

Happy happy day! Laughing
buddyslighthouses

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Brand New, and Have Google Checkout Reply with quote

I just now opened my store, and put Google Checkout in it as well as Paypal.

I am also an Ebay refugee, but was a PayPal member long before Ebay took it over. Never had a problem with them. Hope there are no problems with Google either.

Just thought I would give customers as many payment options as possible....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: