eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Hi everyone, I just got here!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustSayNoWayEbay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Hi everyone, I just got here! Reply with quote

I opened yesterday. I am yet another disgruntled Ebayer as you can probably tell by my store name

Laughing

I couldn't figure out the shipping matrix. Found some useful links but I can't think with my 3 little ones running around. I decided to take the easy way out and do free shipping. I hope that works for me! Its so nice to not worry about listing fees isn't it! We can afford to offer good/reasonable prices. Although I have noticed alot of sellers ask more than people were on ebay for some reason. Although that could've been a fluke i didn't look at very many items..
Still waitin on somethin to sell though... but then its only been a day and a half
Rolling Eyes hehe
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to ecrater.

I don't think you are doing yourself any favors by using eBay as part of your store name. Sour grapes never makes fine wine. Lots of ecrater buyers have never even been on eBay so they won't know what you are talking about. You are not the first person to mention eBay in their listings and about pages, etc. It is unprofessional at best. eBay will and is hanging itself. It's best to let them do it unaided.
JustSayNoWayEbay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I had been thinking the same thing. Not to mention that I sell toys and my name doesn't reflect that. But really I just thought it was funny and more memorable than my old name AKidAtHeartToys and I'm not exactly a professional type trying to pass off my store as well ... a real store. I have made no secret that I'm just a stay at home mom that has a source of a few goods and is trying to make ends meet by selling some things online. Thats not a bad thing. Many sellers are like me. Thats not to say that I (and they) don't treat customers well and haven't built a good reputation as an honest seller and superfast shipper with fair prices.

I know I'm not the first to mention ebay on here...
Actually who hasn't heard of ebay? If they haven't maybe they will find out what I mean by that and be sure to steer clear.

That being said I have been considering it because I do focus on toys and not a little of everything.
And now I guess I don't want people like you that think it was out of sheer bitterness instead of just having fun with reflecting the spirit of the typical or at least many sellers on here.

Thanks for the "welcome" too
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I like the name AKidAtHeart.

I think I understand your feelings. I was bitter as he)) when I left eBay. They decimated my income and left me with a ton of stuff. But I think of ecrater as a fresh page not a place to vent however subtly.

You would be surprised how many on line shoppers have never been to eBay. They may have heard of it; it is a frequent word in cross-word puzzles now. But buyers don't find us by going to eBay and following a link. They find us from our advertising or by Googling some key words. The web is much vaster than eBay.
flockgrlcavern

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to ecrater

I don't think maggie was being mean. Ecrater is all about self promotion. I'm like you, a small time seller coming from "the other site". But I think what Maggie was trying to imply was nothing mean, but trying to explain that when you have to promote your store to actually get a sale, your store name doesn't reflect toys. That's why everything on ecrater is free - we have to do our own advertising and getting our name out there.

With the other site, all the promoting was done by them. Here we do it ourselves and a lot of people do searches through Google or other search engines. That's why your store name is important - not that you are trying to be a professional store...it's just easier to find you on the web Smile

So please don't take anything personal, nothing was meant by it. A lot of people are very very helpful here and no one here criticizes.

Again, welcome Smile
Abbystreasures

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Ecrater!

I agree with the above remarks and would like to give you some encouragement. You are not "just a stay at home Mom", but a professional and present your store that way. Check out lots of others and copy what you like about them. You never know what will develop. Years ago one of my friends, a stay at home mom with 3 kids, started reading books at night, when her husband's company started to fail. She stepped in and saved it. The company was later sold for millions.
funkyclassicsboutique

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: New to Ecrater Reply with quote

I'm giving this a shot because E-bay is making me sick. Seriously.

I would love to help in promoting this site. It would be cool if there was a way for everyone to donate to an advertising fund.

I would love to see this site improve in the search method and really gain some traffic.

My store is funkyclassicsboutique.

I'm still on the ebay and here. I'll be transitioning over. This is my only source of income- real job. I'd really like to see this work!
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I clarify professional and unprofessional?

You can be professional as a stay at home mom, in the way you take care of your family, maintain your home, etc. It doesn't involve money or a 3 piece suit. In the same way an executive of a multi-national company can be unprofessional. Professionality is all about how you do whatever it is you do.

Ecrater provides a section for ex-ebayers to gripe and vent. Stores that are open for all the world to see should be as professional looking and sounding as possible.
kjscreations

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can be professional as a stay at home mom

You Bet!.... for my candybarwrap site, here are a FEW companies I've worked with....
Starbucks (main office), UPS, DHL, Delta Airline, Hilton, Double tree, IBM, Amgen, Gallo winery, Cequent Pharmaceuticals, GM, Many Cities & other bizes.
Do they know I talk to them from home & email them from my laptop in my bedroom??? Do they know I wrap their candybars in my diningroom?
Nope.... I have a professional name, website & toll free number. I take credit cards over the phone or online. I don't use a "freebie email" (only in emergency)
They think I have a big office & warehouse.

So... to work with "the big boys"... ya gotta "look" like a "big boy" Laughing
IgotStuff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaggietheCatsMeows wrote:
Welcome to ecrater.

I don't think you are doing yourself any favors by using eBay as part of your store name. Sour grapes never makes fine wine. Lots of ecrater buyers have never even been on eBay so they won't know what you are talking about. You are not the first person to mention eBay in their listings and about pages, etc. It is unprofessional at best. eBay will and is hanging itself. It's best to let them do it unaided.

So changing my store name to Darth_Ebay would be a bad idea ? Very Happy
JustSayNoWayEbay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL !! Laughing

I actually love your store name! I got Stuff..makes me wish I'd thought of it!

Yeah I'm trying to change it but don't know how. Maybe I'll have to open a new one but I'm not about to redo everything I've done already! Even though it does seem so easy and goes very fast. Maybe from now on list in the new store and slowly move it over time.

Does anyone know how? I have changed it everywhere else except the url address can't seem to find a way to do that.

I still think Lighten up people but I'm not THAT emotionally tied/vested in that name. Don't want to piss people off so back to A Kid at Heart Toys.. I couldn't figure out how to make a logo (my hubby totally could but too busy for now) so i had my 6 year old make one for me. Took a picture of it and viola!
www.justsaynowayebay.ecrater.com
IgotStuff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your store looks great .
I got the idea behind your store name .
People just need to lighten up a bit and learn to have some fun .
I made a list of possibles for store ideas and I always us the word "stuff" anyway , so it made sense .
A few other ones I was considering : closet cleaners, the kids college fund , look what I found, so that's where that was , treasure or trash , and my personal favorite....its this or the dumpster. Very Happy
feel free to borrow any of these fine ideas and send your check to ......
acread

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustSayNoWayEbay wrote:
Does anyone know how? I have changed it everywhere else except the url address can't seem to find a way to do that.

I still think Lighten up people but I'm not THAT emotionally tied/vested in that name. Don't want to piss people off so back to A Kid at Heart Toys.. I couldn't figure out how to make a logo (my hubby totally could but too busy for now) so i had my 6 year old make one for me. Took a picture of it and viola!
www.justsaynowayebay.ecrater.com

To change store url you will need to change store name. Here is how it is done: http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8985

It is not about people lightening up or pissing people off. It is about how potential buyers would perceive you. If I were a buyer and saw that name I would think you got a chip on your shoulder (I mean who cares about another selling site enough to put their name on their store name. Which by the way is a wonderful help to eBay since every time their name is mentioned it gives them free advertising and helps their name recogntion. So they are probably glad you are helping them advertise for free). It would make me think you are difficult to deal with. That would make me assume maybe your customer service won't be very good. Of course that would make me rethink about buying from you. Since there is always plenty of goods available for sale, I might look for an alternative. Now you may be very nice and not have thought it through carefully before putting the name up. Why should your sales suffer due to an uncalculated appearance. Maggie is bringing it up so you will be aware of the possible perception of the thing. Anyway, it is stated to help you, to make you aware of a possible issue, not to pick on you or anything like that.

As for the logo you could give www.cooltext.com a try if you like (there are other logo makers listed in the following link http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2097 ). It is simple enough to create a fancy image of your store name for you. When you do just right click on top of the image and use "save picture as" option to save it in your computer at a location you can later find. Then you just open your eCrater store and go to "upload logo" and click on browse and fin the image file on your computer. And save.
cacshack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome!!

Wishing you the very best.

Melissa Very Happy
JustSayNoWayEbay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Cacshack! Smile

And thanks for the links AC Read... I'm playing around with cooltexts now...
I dunno if I'll start all over or not... maybe just fork over the $10 and let ecrater people do it for me Wink

I do get what you all are saying.

I got Stuff: the others are cute too! I like what you went with though. I'm afraid it doesn't really match up with my stuff cuz its new toys usually so I'll probably stick with my boring old name. (A Kid At Heart Toys) since its what I sell mostly. But considering a different spot for the other stuff where I could use a name like that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: