eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Shipping overseas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
capitalus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Shipping overseas Reply with quote

I just got a new order, and it's placed from Ireland! It has been paid with Paypal. Of cause I'm happy, but...The s/h quoted (free in this case) is meant for mainland USA only, and this is stated in my FAQ, but not in the listing.. Any suggestions how to address this? The extra charge would be $7 on a $20 item... Question
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
HandcraftedDollsbyLu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello capitalus, my suggestion would be to email the customer and explain the situation. Depending on how bad they want the item, they may be willing to pay the extra $7.00, or they might cancel the order. Then, depending on how they respond to you, you can go from there.

I also suggest that you add all of your terms and shipping information to each and every item description. When the shoppers come to our ads from froogle/google, they have no access to our information pages, the faqs, terms, about, and contact links go to ecraters, NOT OURS! It is quite clear to me that many, many sellers do not realize this. So, if you say, "see my faqs" in your item description, the shopper will be confused because when they go there, it will be ecrater info. I've only been with ecrater for a short time, but already, twice, shoppers have emailed me to let me know that my links were not working, they clearly expected the links to go to my info. This navigational confusion is something I've mentioned before, and am hoping that admin will address soon

Have a great day.
Lu
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since your listing state FREE SHIPPING they really don't owe anything.

A buyer never sees or has access to your FAQ UNLESS they entered your store directly and not from froggle/google because they end up at www.ecrater.com and if they click FAQ whn on the item in ecrater.com they go to ecrater.com FAQ.

This is why You don't state free shipping in the listing unless it's for everyone.

You can ask them to pay it, you can refund it. BUT technically you listing does state free shipping. It doesn't state internationa buyers have to pay extra.
capitalus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lu and BT for the replies!

First, you are both right and I'm now thinking how to fix the situation: I sold about 20 items so far on Ecrater (thanks Ecrater!) , and this is the first international customer here for me!

Well, I know the title says free shipping, though inside the listing (I know not every listing, but certainly in this one) I say "FREE SHIPPING to continental USA on this item!" So whoever is outside of continetal USA should realize they should expect to pay extra.. Well, I guess this is only in my mind.. Now putting myself in the buyer's shoes, I would probably try to check out, and if it worked I would assume that's it.. I'm still at work, so I guess it's going to give me something to think about on my way home... Sould I ask and loose (most likely, right?) the customer or just keep the customer happy... Confused
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I did after my first FREE INTERNATIONAL shipping problem -- (since I use fixed rate - ecrater shows zero for international orders)
I turned off all international shipping and in each description I say email me.

If the item in question said FREE for US ONLY - then yeah, I would email him and tell him you need an additional $7 for shipping!
capitalus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's a good idea. I was thinking to create a shipping matrix and say buybuy to the free shipping.. I will block the international shipping for now.. BT - do people actually contact you with shipping quote requests? Honestly, I personally wouldn't unless I really badly want this item, and it's not available anywhere else.. Even if the price seems low, I would assume you would load it up with the shipping..

And one more related question: you you know why it could be that I didn't get a usual "order #.." email from noreply@ ecrater for this order? It seems ok on my admin site, and paypal sent the the payment confirmation.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capitalus wrote:
And one more related question: you you know why it could be that I didn't get a usual "order #.." email from noreply@ ecrater for this order? It seems ok on my admin site, and paypal sent the the payment confirmation.

I occasionally don't get them from eCrater when I've gotten the PayPal notification. Same for my own website's cart, too, but I have no idea why...
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
do people actually contact you with shipping quote requests?

YES! But what I sell is not readily available especially outside the US.
They usually use ask the seller a question and tell me it's not working, lol. They place the items on the order form and once they enter their address they can't go any further. Seems like they think it's broken as oppose to the fact they have to contact me directly.

Quote:
one more related question: you you know why it could be that I didn't get a usual "order #.." email from noreply@ ecrater for this order? It seems ok on my admin site, and paypal sent the the payment confirmation.

I only have that issue with google checkout.
capitalus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My update: First, I followed BT's advice and turned off international shipping for now, though I haven't added an invite to contact me to my listings yet. I guess I will later.. Hopefully they will contact me anyway..And I shipped the order and enclosed my regular packing slip, just this time I added a shipping charge of $5 ( I found a cheaper option luckily) and removed the words "it's not a bill". So it shows an outstanding amount of $5. I now would let it up to the customer if they read it and send me the balance. If not, I'm not planning to follow up on that. I didn't loose money on this sale, I just didn't get what I priced for, but I take it as a part of the business. Thanks again to those replied!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: