eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Question about these store closures.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nintendo-n-More

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Question about these store closures. Reply with quote

Hi, Folks,

I registered for a store two days ago, but ran across something that causes me alarm. I thought Id run it past you folks for comment before I go further.

First, a little about me. Im an old timer of 68, and a current eBayer (6 years) with well over 11,000 positive feedback (99.8% positive until they put the new system in) and 23,000 sales (before I lost count). Furthermore, that was all in a risky category - used video games and systems. Ive never been in the doghouse with either eBay or PayPal, but the changes lately make me want to stop putting all my eggs in one basket.

Risk and hard work Im used to. Ive spent 11 years in the Alaskan bush, another decade as a long-haul trucker, delivered 4 of my 6 kids (at my wifes request), and sold fresh-frozen yellowjackets and hornets for another 20 years (gathered live, in season). Obviously, I do careful and quality work.

The things raising a red flag are these store suspensions. I fully understand the need to have some oversight on store contents, etc. In fact, should someone point out to me that I am in error somewhere; its deeply appreciated, as Im an imperfect human being too.

However, should I have 500 to a 1,000 items listed and my store gets suspended for an error on one of them, then it appears that I am expected to sift through all of them trying to figure out what the trouble is, then wait up to a week after applying to see if I got the right one. Meanwhile Im out of business.

If they suspended an item instead of the whole store, if they sent an email letting a fellow know what to look for, and if they didnt have an (apparent) well get to it when we feel like it attitude, then it wouldnt bother me at all. Indeed, I would welcome it.

Some say but youre getting a free service. Dont give me the business. Yes, I hope to make money. So do they, or they wouldnt offer the service. Therefore, it only makes common sense that we both do our best to grease the wheels for each other, for it takes both of us to make this work. Its not like it would cost $100 and 4 hours to send an email. Have a few email templates, check an appropriate box, and youd be done in 5 seconds.

As it is now, the arrangement leaves an impression of supercilious arrogance that is every bit as nauseous as what weve been experiencing at eBay.

So, the question is this: Am I being unfair here and visualizing troubles where there arent any? Any and all input is more than welcome, especially from the moderators (or even higher).

Thanks folks. Im an easy going cuss, but I make decisions carefully.

Tom Howell
Nintendo-n-More
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read the terms and conditions of selling on ecrater including the list of forbidden items?

Please don't think stores are closed down out of arrogance. They are closed because the sellers didn't read or thought they could get away with breaking the rules, or created such a sloppy store it makes the site look bad.

Also stores are not usually closed down if one item is breaking the rules. What happens is the offending item is deleted.

List a few items, come back and ask people to check your listings if you really fear being shut down but unless you are selling pirated media, you should be safe.
Nintendo-n-More

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I appreciate your answer. That was a large question in my mind - are the responses to inaccuracies proportionate to the infraction?

I have no desire to break the rules, and believe in fair play. That's one reason that I have had success in selling used video games and systems, as I use it in my dealings. When considering that most of my customers are kids and young parents, that is crucial.

My policy is to always assume the best until it is proven otherwise. However, that's a two way street.

Which brings up the question: I've read somewhere here on the boards that electronics sellers have problems. Is that because of there being a lot of knock-offs or other reasons?

Yes, I have read them, and they are quite reasonable in my opinion.

Tom
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nintendo-n-More - if you list ONLY items that are allowed, list in English, list in US Dollars, don't steal images that are not yours or descriptions,
then it's doubtful that you will be suspended.

Quote:
selling used video games and systems

is not going to cause an alarm to go off like selling Gucci handbags for $20 instead of their retail price of $4,500.00

Quote:
I've read somewhere here on the boards that electronics sellers have problems. Is that because of there being a lot of knock-offs or other reasons?

Knock-offs, copyright images (Sony will not allow any unauthorized agent to use their images no matter what any drop shipper tells you!), and there were a couple selling some kind of boosted micro chip used in gaming or something that is on the not allowed list on the terms.
Nintendo-n-More

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, BigTall,

Images and descriptions are no problem. I always do that myself.

One more question and I'll be satisfied (I think Smile )

On the subject of knock-offs - I don't knowingly sell imitations or fakes. On the other hand, I offer a fairly complete service for the older video systems such as the original NES, the Super Nintendo, N64, etc., and that includes parts and accessories.

The problem here is that many of those parts and accessories are either after market (such as the Madcatz controllers for the N64) or discontinued by Nintendo itself (such as the battery covers for the earlier Game Boy systems, 72 pin connectors for the NES, etc.), and are available only from third party sources.

Now most of the after market stuff is considerably different from the original Nintendo equipment and clearly labeled "Madcatz" or whatever it happens to be. They are just manufactured to be used with the Nintendo system.

Most of the parts are similar. The battery covers will fit the system well, but the Nintendo logo is not on them as it is on the original. Again, I would label it as after market or however it's deemed appropriate.

I might add that none of these things are of high value. I carry them because there are a lot of folks, such as young parents with children, who look back nostalgically on their own childhood game playing and want to refurbish their old game systems for their kids, and this is the only way to do it.

Will these things cause problems?

Thanks again.

Tom
acread

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should pose that question directly to eCrater and see what they say about it. Use their Contact page.
Nintendo-n-More

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, AC,

Will do.

Tom
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On the subject of knock-offs - I don't knowingly sell imitations or fakes. On the other hand, I offer a fairly complete service for the older video systems such as the original NES, the Super Nintendo, N64, etc., and that includes parts and accessories.

The problem here is that many of those parts and accessories are either after market (such as the Madcatz controllers for the N64) or discontinued by Nintendo itself (such as the battery covers for the earlier Game Boy systems, 72 pin connectors for the NES, etc.), and are available only from third party sources.

Now most of the after market stuff is considerably different from the original Nintendo equipment and clearly labeled "Madcatz" or whatever it happens to be. They are just manufactured to be used with the Nintendo system.

I doubt this is a problem at all.
It's not the same as a copykat, knock-off, fake - your are referring to more like a company that makes parts that fit a machine of another company. As long as you are not saying it's the major brand name when it's not. You can say it works with, fits on, replacement for etc etc
BUT must say the part is from blah blah.

IF yu do not hear back -- that's a good thing.
Nintendo-n-More

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, BT,

LOL on the not hearing back being a good thing!

Actually, I did hear back from Dima and it looks like I have an all clear. Here's his answer:

"Thank you for your email. We do not allow mod chips on eCRATER. Since you are not selling mod chips I don't see any problems with your products. You are welcome to list them on eCRATER."

I figured I should post it in case someone else is in the same situation.

Thanks for you help, and I hope to see you around!
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

COOL BEANS!
Nintendo-n-More

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!!!

Whot yu doin' up this late? Don't you know only old geezers like me get to stay up this late? Laughing

Thanks!

Tom
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nintendo-n-More wrote:
LOL!!!

Whot yu doin' up this late? Don't you know only old geezers like me get to stay up this late? Laughing

Thanks!

Tom

late??? My bed time is 4-4:30 in the morning MST
Haven't you read my avatar??
GuadalupeForgeWroughtIron

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot, if I'd known you two were over here yakking earlier this morning, I'da been here too. Instead I was working at 2AM trying to figure out why the email links in my doorway site wouldn't work. Best time of the day to work.

Tom, I've been meaning to comment on your first post above. Anyone who has delivered babies, driven trucks and sold yellow jackets has my utter respect. Welcome to eCrater (from another newbie.)
Sheri
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: