eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Handcrafted Artisan Jewelry - new or used?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Handcrafted Artisan Jewelry - new or used? Reply with quote

Happy Thanksgiving!

I will be listing some handcrafted jewelry pieces that I purchased from a Missouri Artisan. These pieces have never been worn, and are newly designed and created, however, the artist uses mostly "found" and vintage elements such as rhinestones, and other preiously used jewelry embellishments, to create the jewelry.

Would this artist jewelry be classified as "new" or "used" in the product condition section of the eCRATER listing?

Have a wonderful holiday!

VintageMoonbeams
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Moonbeams,
Happy Thanksgiving to you!
I would consider the jewelry to be new pieces of jewelry, even though they are made from parts of vintage jewelry. They are a new creation and never worn.
Lori
momsretro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. If they were never worn I'd consider them new. They sound cool btw, can't wait to see them.

I'm glad you asked this question. I found some great vintage beads that I want to make new earrings out of. I was going to list them in new also, I hope that's OK.
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto if these are items recently created.

If you bought out the inventory of someone who has had it in storage for years or from the estate of an artisan, then it would be dead stock but still checked new, described as old stock in your description.
zickit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say USED - made out of recycled items.
explain it clearly in the description.

Be sure to use all the new recyled item buzz words - like go green, etc etc
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the helpful comments! I listed some of the jewelry, and on the two heart brooches I said "new", as they are newly created and never worn. I created a category called "Jewelry Handcrafted Artisan Newly Created". This is what I said in my description:

"Although the heart brooch was newly designed and created, the elements and embellishments used in the design of this heart brooch were mostly from found objects and vintage jewelry pieces. Use of these recycled objects contributes to the world effort to "go green". "

Any more ideas would be appreciated!

Have a wonderful evening!

VintageMoonbeams
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the interest in recycling and people using things like old jeans, tablecloths, etc to create new products there are a lot of items showing up on line and at fairs that are newly created but using old materials.

The fact is that these are new creations and should be checked as brand new products, not used.

There is a big difference between the seller of used jeans and the seller of jean handbags that they have cut and sewn and reconstructed thus creating a new product.

A table made from recovered barn timber is not considered an antique or even used. A wall hanging made from soda can pull tabs is a new work of art. Jewelry is no different. I think most artisans would be insulted if you called their work used goods.

Vintage moonbeams, I just looked at the items in question. I certainly wouldn't list them as used.
zickit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The fact is that these are new creations and should be checked as brand new products, not used.

The fact is (in my opinion) these newly created items are made out of USED items therefore they can not be new.

Sounds like maybe the suggest of adding recycled to the new and used condition might be a good suggestion. With the world "going green" why not have that option?
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTallMensClothing wrote:
Quote:

The fact is (in my opinion) these newly created items are made out of USED items therefore they can not be new.

Sounds like maybe the suggest of adding recycled to the new and used condition might be a good suggestion. With the world "going green" why not have that option?

Because it would be abused more than new/used is. It would be worse than 100% authentic Gucci bags for $9.99.
momsretro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We already have a Used category, we don't need recycled. The definition of recycled is reusing something that was previously used. I think VMB did a good job of describing them.

Go Green is a trademarked phrase btw and I hear they like to litigate.

I also agree with MtC a recycled category would be abused more than an "All Natural" or "Diet" category.

And, I'm thinking like a girl when I look at used vs. new jewelry. I want to know if that earring has ever been in another ear, dangling on someone else's neck or pinned through someone else's unmentionables. If the findings are new, I'd vote for new. Isn't there an agreed upon definition out there already? Do other sites have a policy?
momsretro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After browsing our "Handcrafted, Artisan Jewelry" section I see lots of listings that are quite a stretch to me.

If something is drop shipped from a labor camp in the Orient it's still considered "handcrafted?" I suppose it could be "crafted by hands", but that's not what I am looking for when I go to that category.

Could someone explain those rules for me?
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who sells vintage jewelry, let me assure you that every earring that leaves my home has been sterilized. That being said I would still sterilize all earrings new or used before trying them. You never know if someone in a shop tried a pair of earrings on. A lot of earrings are on display stands and store help is scarcer than hens' teeth, especially in large stores.

I would not fear findings on artisan jewelry any more than I'd fear the beads or new parts or new jewelry bought on line. Look at the piece. If the seller has it well presented and described, if it looks like it has been made with care, you should feel secure about buying it and wearing it.

As for the new/used controversy, consider this:
There is nothing new under the sun. Everything is made from something. All elements from air to water to minerals etc are constantly being recycled. All the things made of plastic are really made from petroleum that has been in the ground for hundreds of thousands of years. All books are made from trees that are at least old enough to be classed as antique.

So when we start nit-picking about new/used there is no where to stop except to call everything used. The wool in the brand new designer sweater once graced the backs of a sheep in Scotland, the new gold bracelet could be made from melted down and recycled scrap gold. It has no end.

Can't we just leave it as: if the boots have been worn, the house lived in, the car driven, the DVD played, it is used and if they have not (in their current incarnation) then they are new?
fairydustcove

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: They are considered new Reply with quote

As a jewelry make for about 10 years in our industry the jewelry would be considerened new, made with "found objects" this is a great market alot of Artists in San Diego do this, and I feel it give you some what of a different edge, using found objects, or recycled jewelry pieces appeal to alot of buyers,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: