eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Unfinished stores
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poopsheet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SammieShepherdJewelry wrote:
Sorry but I guess I'm taking some of these comments personally Laughing

Nah, no need to take these comments personally. Just keep a realistic view of how it may look to potential customers.

If the "on hold" feature blocked the store from customer view then sellers in the process of building their stores wouldn't even have to worry about it.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
AlmostAntique

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SammieShepherdJewelry wrote:
I feel the need to put my 2 cents in as I fit in to some of this-I think after reading all this there are 2 separate issues 1) fly by nites, no info, contact, FAQ's etc and 2) new stores with little or no inventory that some people feel is not a good sign. I have been opening a second store called Bracelet heaven for WEEKS because as AC mentioned some of us have full time jobs. Mine happens to be a 12 hour day, but my point is that one day I set up the logo etc, several days later I set up my texts, a week later I put in categories, and I now have a whopping 10 items on there.
I do have a note in my welcome inviting people to my regular store for now but why should I put the new one on hold in the meantime? I already have had a bunch of hits on those items (maybe from people in this thread ha ha) but I think there should be a difference between the 2 as mentioned above. Sorry but I guess I'm taking some of these comments personally Laughing

Please don't take offense. I am not talking about stores like yours. I am talking about the ones that just plunk there stuff here. No rhyme or reason and nothing to let the buyer make an informed decision. One or two word titles. Descriptions that aren't very informative, these don't help in your search engine results when there is nothing there to search.

This is a shopping cart site. We are individual store owners. We have to make our stores look like the other stores out on the web, now grant it we aren't macy's or walmart or such and don't have the money to spend on fancy web designers but we can take tips from them organize our stores and list our products in the same manner. Not make our listings like ebay, and say things like payment is due in two days of close. That sounds like auction talk. This isn't an auction and to many people put wording in on their products as if they are auctions. All I am trying to say is if you really want to make sales here your store has to entice people in and the buyer has to become confident that you are legit. Plus there is a whole lot of promoting that has to be done because buyers don't just find you by listing your items. You have to find them and draw them in.

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3841991 this is an example of a poorly put together product. I don't think I would go much further and would probably click out. I need more information and most buyers do. It has to look like you care as that shows you care about your customer. JMHO
kjscreations

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one's not as bad as some.... I see this has been updated today.... does have some contact, faq & terms...
Does need some category pics on front page. I bit more on the descriptions like measurements.

Some are waaayyy worse.
AlmostAntique

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjscreations wrote:
That one's not as bad as some.... I see this has been updated today.... does have some contact, faq & terms...
Does need some category pics on front page. I bit more on the descriptions like measurements.

Some are waaayyy worse.

I know but I didn't want to go and search for them. I just picked one off the first page. But yep there are alot out there that makes me think "what are they thinking or not thinking and who the heck is even going to buy that when there is nothing to even give me any information about it or any contact info of any kind. First Impressions are what sell.

The ones that really get me are the bad english, spelling errors, and grammer issues. They look so unprofessional and I don't purchase from them. I think if they can't even get the item page looking decent how is their customer service going to be. It just looks poorly done. Its a reflection on the person believe it or not, no matter if they are an honest person, poorly put together product listings won't sell. I have taken enough courses in business over the years and business midmanagement is my degree and in marketing class they teach you that the first few minutes is the key to capturing the buyers interest. First impressions count...

A person knows when they have a spelling problem and they should have someone proof read their listings or type them in word and spell check and then paste into their description window.

I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings I am only speaking the truth when it comes to the above issues. My son is a sound speller the boy can't spell to save his life. Every thing he writes goes through a word processor so he can make it look right. He use to have me proof read his school work and I would circle or underline areas that needed improvement and he would then type that stuff into the computer and find the correct spelling. I on the other hand am a sight speller. If I type or write something incorrectly my brain automatically says wait a minute that doesn't look right. Plus I am the type that has to read things out loud to make sure it sounds right to the mind when read. Just some tips I picked up along the way to keep my writing in check and it really makes a difference.
SammieShepherdJewelry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from dishonest fly by nites- I wonder if some of these mostly empty stores are people who figure it's easier to do this than have a garage sale....you know throw up on a store a pair of jeans they got for Christmas with the tags still on. Which is fine for Ebay.
viewfinders

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlmostAntique wrote:
My son is a sound speller the boy can't spell to save his life. Every thing he writes goes through a word processor so he can make it look right. He use to have me proof read his school work and I would circle or underline areas that needed improvement and he would then type that stuff into the computer and find the correct spelling. I on the other hand am a sight speller. If I type or write something incorrectly my brain automatically says wait a minute that doesn't look right. Plus I am the type that has to read things out loud to make sure it sounds right to the mind when read. Just some tips I picked up along the way to keep my writing in check and it really makes a difference.

And I am one who won all the spelling bees as a kid and now have to spell check everything Laughing

But the point is that I do use spell checkers. However they do not pick up on homonyms and that is seemingly the area of my brain that is most easily confused. I don't even think about it. The wrong one just comes out.

A lot of our sellers are English second language people. Since English is required here, I can't recommend highly enough to get an English grammar book and construct simple basic sentences so your listings make sense.
wearitagainsam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viewfinders wrote:
AlmostAntique wrote:
My son is a sound speller the boy can't spell to save his life. Every thing he writes goes through a word processor so he can make it look right. He use to have me proof read his school work and I would circle or underline areas that needed improvement and he would then type that stuff into the computer and find the correct spelling. I on the other hand am a sight speller. If I type or write something incorrectly my brain automatically says wait a minute that doesn't look right. Plus I am the type that has to read things out loud to make sure it sounds right to the mind when read. Just some tips I picked up along the way to keep my writing in check and it really makes a difference.

And I am one who won all the spelling bees as a kid and now have to spell check everything Laughing

But the point is that I do use spell checkers. However they do not pick up on homonyms and that is seemingly the area of my brain that is most easily confused. I don't even think about it. The wrong one just comes out.

A lot of our sellers are English second language people. Since English is required here, I can't recommend highly enough to get an English grammar book and construct simple basic sentences so your listings make sense.

I would have to agree, If I can't understand it I am not buying it.
NuthinbutSTUFF

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this thread and have to agree. Visualize this for a moment.... remove eCrater from the web and make it a brick and mortar mall full of stores, walking through the front doors and browsing where there are many beautiful shops among the forever under construction or abandoned. Would you shop that mall location regularly or find another near by with realitively the same type of shops but more polished? I don't know, I might choose a different mall, but that's just me. Very Happy
AlmostAntique

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I would have to agree, If I walked into a brick and mortar store and saw the stores looking like alot of the ones on here. I would be high tailing my behind right out of there.
craftnut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I've been asking questions,reading forums and correcting everything everyone suggests as i want to look professional and never sold online before only shows and street festivals. Mad I hope my store is not one you are talking about cause I'm really trying hard to get it done. Sad again thanks to all who gives me guidence I love the critics so I can learn. Laughing
proimage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

craftnut wrote:
ok I've been asking questions,reading forums and correcting everything everyone suggests as i want to look professional and never sold online before only shows and street festivals. Mad I hope my store is not one you are talking about cause I'm really trying hard to get it done. Sad again thanks to all who gives me guidence I love the critics so I can learn. Laughing

If you want to replace the "Your Logo Here" this thread has a couple of places where you can create a logo: http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=15733&highlight=logo+maker
After you create your logo, you save it to your computer and click upload logo on your ecrater administrative page.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craftnut wrote:

Craftnut, you are going to be fine. YOU are trying. We are talking about shops that sign up, list a bunch of things and then do nothing more.

Proof of how little attention some people pay to their stores is the number of suspended stores here that the owners probably don't even realize are suspended. They don't bother to close them, they don't ask why they are suspended and they are doing nothing to reactivate them.
craftnut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEA! Very Happy I got all my "stuff" done except the logo which I'm going to do now. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I AM OPENING SHOP!!!!!! D Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I will continue to add products daily to fill my catagories...Please stop by and try to find the flaws for me!! Thanks again all of you,What a great community.
AlmostAntique

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your store is really coming along and it looks great in organization and your items are lovely. However. Your terms page could use a little re wording to make it flow better and also it has many spelling mistakes. You may want to copy it to a word document and look for the underlined errors. or run spell check on it. received, confirmation, Plus I would either take out line three or try to put it in a different way because it makes it sound like you have a problem with this happening. Just my opinion. The best way to know if something sounds right in print is to read it out loud. Or have someone else read it outloud. You will know when you hear it if something doesn't flow right. I also would change the statement on your contact page to Say I check my email every day (or whatever amount you feel comfortable with) and will get back to you within 48 hours or sooner. its really important to commit to a time frame. A generalized statement doesn't build confidence. That way they know when to expect a reply. And the best way to state your contact email is to just say

For any questions, comments or concerns please email lrprimcrazy@gmail.com.

I check my email everyday and will get back to you within 48 hours.

That is how I would put your contact page. It sounds more professional.

As for the FAQ page. It looks well thought out. But again needs to be run through spell check. description
Also place a space after words that have a comma before writing another word. Its to crunched the way you have it and makes it really hard to read. You can take alook at what others have done here at ecrater to get a feel for what their pages look like and if you want copy the format with your own wording. There is nothing wrong with wanting your store to be as professional as possible as that says alot about your product.

I am going to go and look at some of your products if I have more ideas I will post again. Best of luck here at ecrater.

I did check several of your products. You have the word received misspelled
craftnut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks! yea I realized the received word acouple days ago, been correcting it ever since, I used that word alot! Must have been the meds. at that time! Very Happy Gonna fix what you said. I have looked at alot of stores and got some ideas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: