eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

help - shipping perfume?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cuppatea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: help - shipping perfume? Reply with quote

Is there any problem shipping perfume via USPS priority mail? I thought I saw a post where perfume was on a list of items that had to go by ground, but I can't find it again.

I have a lovely little item but am waiting to add to my store until I know what shipping I can use...

TIA
Heather Ellen
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
Tsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember see anything like that.
I thought it was just on airplanes

If you bubble wrap it really really good it should make it through with out any problems.

T
henhousegiftsandcollectibles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check with your local post office or ups.com and see what they say.
rowsofclothes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like there may be a problem shipping it priority or even USPS for that matter. Looks like UPS ground is the best.

Found an interesting link here

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?threadID=1000348812&tstart=160&mod=1165676677949

Found this on Sephora shipping

Hazardous Materials
Certain items considered Hazardous Materials (HAZMAT) include aerosols and alcohol-based products (e.g., pressurized spray cans, hairspray, nail polish remover, nail polish etc.) and are required by the U.S. DOT to be shipped by Ground-only transport, due to air transport restrictions and regulations. For these shipments we offer UPS Ground $5.95, USPS Ground (Parcel Post) at $5.95 (CA) or $6.95 (all states with the exception of CA), and FedEx 2-Day HAZMAT at $24.95 (please note that FedEx charges an additional special handling fee of $15.00 for this service). Our P.O. Box customers should select USPS Ground (Parcel Post). Our Alaska and Hawaii customers should select USPS or UPS Ground.
cuppatea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. Found details (on ebay! in the boards there...) Very strange, to totally follow the rules have to contact the manufacturer to find the flashpoint??!! Think I'll just take it to the local Post Office and see what they say.

See more at http://www.usps.com/mailerscompanion/janfeb2005/dmm2.html
search for "perfume"

I learn something new every day!
Heather Ellen
JJHotrocks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Natural Spray bottles are allowed as priority and regular mail. It is the cans or types that are loaded with compressed gases that can create a problem. In areas where there is high heat such as a cargo area they may burst or worse burst into flames. If perfume bottles break or burst in transit it will not be covered by insurance.

Most manufacturers have covered these aspects so most perfumes come in a package that can survive travel on its own and very few are not available as a natural spray. However a little bubble wrap and some styrofoam peanuts go a long way towards helping your shipment survive.

It is a good idea to declare it as perfume on customs forms when shipping abroad. Some places like Canada have storage facilities for mail that are so cold they will cause the perfume to freeze and the bottles to burst.

Some of my suppliers have marked the customs documentation as simply "cosmetics".

-jj
YourRainyDayBookStore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cuppatea wrote:
Think I'll just take it to the local Post Office and see what they say.

Please let us know the answer you receive from your trip to the Post Office.

TIA

Joyce
JJHotrocks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a common misconception that fragrances are not allowed but they are.

This information can be verified over the phone without standing on-line at the post office:

General Information
1-800-ASK-USPS or (800) 275-8777
Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Eastern Time (7:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. CST)
Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time (7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST)
Closed Sundays and Holidays

For international sales you need to check restrictions for the individual country:

http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immicl/immiclab_toc.html

Hope that helps,

-jj
YourRainyDayBookStore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Hazardous Materials! Reply with quote

JJHotrocks - Thanks jj for the information and the telephone numbers. The cost factor of using USPS instead of UPS will be a big savings! Very Happy

When I closed my retail store I ran into this shipping problem as I wanted to sell my large inventory of cleaning and polishing products by mail. I found cleaners and polishes are classified as Hazardous Materials and not allowed to be sent by USPS. Crying or Very sad

My next eCrater store will be devoted to selling these Hazardous Materials..

joyce
cuppatea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you all!! I will call the P.O. for more. It is a set of miniature Lalique perfume bottles, no spray. I think it will work, just not sure if I have to send it by ground. After all, someone shipped it to me!

Will let you know what they say,
Heather Ellen
cuppatea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the scoop. I only ship domestically, so international restrictions aren't an issue. The post office lady said to bring it down and they always ask if something is fragile or hazardous. In this case, I reply both. They mark it as having to go by ground only (can't do air because it is flammable). That having been said, if you're shipping perfume please check with your own post office to make sure that will work for you. Now I can list it!!
Heather Ellen
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: