eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

NEW Google Checkout Rates --
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RustyFarmall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACRead wrote:
RustyFarmall wrote:
my-little-e-shop-in-ukraine wrote:
I am an international seller

When did Google become available Internationally? I though you could use it only for sales to the U.S. and Great Britain?

My-little-e-shop is in UK. (Well not always, but that's his base) So he gets to use GC.

O.K., but GCO is still not available for use in countries other than the UK and the US. Correct??
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked the Google Check-out information. Rules are different for sellers and buyers.

"Google Checkout is available to U.S. and U.K. merchants."

"Buyers from many other countries outside the United States and United Kingdom can also sign up for the service and make purchases through Google Checkout. While their purchases will always be processed in the currency matched to your address (U.S. dollars for U.S. merchants or Pounds Sterling for U.K. merchants), buyers' credit cards will usually provide seamless currency conversion. Check the Location drop-down menu on the sign-up page to see if Google Checkout is available in your buyer's location."

Looks like there are about 140 countries that are available for buyers.
RustyFarmall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K., I learned something today.
insulator-king

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really happy with this, but it is the way of business. I still trust Google checkout much more than Paypal. They did give a 2-3 month notice, and made it all ou tin the open.
RustyFarmall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to that announcement, I was accepting GCO only. After the announcement, I began accepting paypal once again. I have since had two sales that went through paypal, which proves to me that some folks still prefer paypal. Google may soon realize they were a bit premature in raising their rates.
namebranddealz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Google OR Paypal Reply with quote

My biggest gripe about Google CO is having to wait 3 days, some times longer to get the payment.. Time is Money.
That being said, I wonder if thats whats at play here.
With interest rates dropping like a rock, Google has probably lost a lot of interest income on all that Float when they hold our payments.. so they figure raising the rates TO match Paypal is an equalizer.. they aren't any more expensive than the competition but they can shift their earnings from Interest to Fees to make up the difference.
I will still offer Google because customers DO use it, but as a shopper, I don't think I would ever use it myself.
kjscreations

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With interest rates dropping like a rock, Google has probably lost a lot of interest income on all that Float

Actually... the money does not sit at google those 3 days...
as with ALL merchant accounts...
The customer pays with visa through google. It goes over to google just during that day until they batch all that money out at night ... then it goes to visa...MC...amex etc..... THEN it sits there for a day or 2 till cc companies clears the customers money & THEN batches out to the banks.
That is how ALL the merchant accounts work.

No Paypal is not a bank.... they get the payment, it "clears" BUT they immediately LOAN you that money. Then THEY get it from the cc company. But it "circles" within paypal. Thats why you don't need merchant #'s.... akc numbers.... no batch posting of funds....
They just don't have to abide by actual banking rules.

SOOO... to make a long story short (I know... too late).... google does not hold any of your funds more than the same day they get it.
They may have gotten a raise of % fees themselves. (They get charged from MC...visa...amex etc) I just got a hike in % fees from a couple of my Credit cards Confused

BTW.... in 2001 when I processed CC thru wellsfargo.... fees back then were 3.2 on up (Amex was about 4%) PLUS statement fees, transaction fees... gateway fees...
SO IF I did not make a single sale.... I paid about $75 a month anyway.

So I don't complain a BIT when % go up cuz I only pay IF I make a sale.
namebranddealz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense to me.

Why would Google send money TO Visa/MC/Disc etc.. ?
When I get my payments, they come from Google, Not
from Visa/MC/Discover..
When Google captures an authorization, they are requesting
that money be sent to Google.. then Google forwards it to the
sellers..
I worked in Banking for 15 years and assisted business customers
in getting their Merchant Servicing set up (as well as their Online
Banking..)
Thats the point of having that Merchant Servicing.. That company
is who sends payments TO the seller, so Visa/MC/Am Exp doesnt
have to..
MagicCardHaven

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww, I don't like the new rates. As a first tier person (less than 3000) this means my fees will practically be the same as paypal's. Sad One of the things I liked about GC are the smaller fees.
kjscreations

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe I forgot (my rep explained it years ago)... maybe it is google sends the info to visa... visa (cc company) actually pays google & then it gets to our bank. Like my cc is visa thru my bank.... so I want to buy something... my number goes to google (or googles merchant CO)... they batch it that night...(may go to their account holder if they have one) goes to my cc bank... money comes out to google & google pays seller. LOL so no money really goes anywhere until it comes from customers account then back to google & then to seller.

It all makes sense in my head.... typing it is harder. Anyway... they don't keep cash for interest for more than maybe a day in their bank account.
BUT million$ even 1 day ... with interest dropping could mean one Helluva drop in their interest income. So that part may be why the increase.
gabelcorp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDeesPostcards wrote:
Just checked the Google Check-out information. Rules are different for sellers and buyers.

"Google Checkout is available to U.S. and U.K. merchants."

"Buyers from many other countries outside the United States and United Kingdom can also sign up for the service and make purchases through Google Checkout. While their purchases will always be processed in the currency matched to your address (U.S. dollars for U.S. merchants or Pounds Sterling for U.K. merchants), buyers' credit cards will usually provide seamless currency conversion. Check the Location drop-down menu on the sign-up page to see if Google Checkout is available in your buyer's location."

Looks like there are about 140 countries that are available for buyers.

Hello,

I'm just stopping by to say that I use GC as a merchant and I'm from Venezuela.

I have an US bank account and that allows me to receive the payouts from GC. At first, I had a $500/month payout limit because I needed to provide a SSN or EIN, neither of which I had at the time I opened the account. Later, I applied for an EIN which allowed me to remove the payout limit.

So far all my ecrater sales have come through GC, so I won't complain too much about the fee increase.
gypsymart

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm debating on keeping GCO - their customer service is practically non-existent - plus they don't have close to the features that PP does. Like shipping labels, for one!

They really should have improved the service, before announcing a price change.
namebranddealz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLUS - I'm not sure WHY, but I've had customers go and pay for their Item multiple times, when using Google Checkout. And NO, it wasn't like a minute apart, I'm talking like they logged in the next day and made that payment a second time - and this becomes a Pain to the seller because if we refund the whole sale amount for any reason, We still have to pay that per Transaction fee to Google - currently .20cents.. Paypal refunds the whole thing so the seller isn't out that fee...
acread

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set your GC account not to charge automatically. They you won't have to pay refund fee.
namebranddealz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I'm more versed in how Google works, I could go back in and change that back to Authorize only - Good Idea. Smile

But it makes me wonder whats wrong with the buying process going thru Google Checkout that this has happened so many times (to me as a seller anyways..) I think its happened like 4 times since I started using it.. Makes me wonder what makes shoppers think it didn't work the first time that they go in the next day and pay all over again.. ??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: