eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

What is Vintage?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJsNovelties

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: What is Vintage? Reply with quote

I just was listing some old jewelry of mine and realized after listing the pieces that they might be considered vintage. But if they are vintage, so am I!

I was shopping ecrater stores earlier today and saw an item from 1984 called vintage. That made me feel so old!

The way I look at it -- if it belonged to my parents or older sister that's vintage 1960 and before. 1970 forward are "retro" to me.

Is there an actual time frame for the use of these terms? I just want to be listing my items appropriately.

Thanks, Jan
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MIZombie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1984 is vintage!!!! Shut UP!!!!! I graduated in high school in '84~ I am with you on this one I do not think 1984 is vintage and I don't even think its retro yet? 2010 it will be retro imo!

Zombie
rowsofclothes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say 1900s-50s would be vintage and 1960s-80s retro. Antiques are of course 100 years and over.
TheConsignmentBarn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOLOL ... What a relief to know that I am not an antique.
zickit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have learned that vintage, retro even antigue really mean nothing any more.

Vintage is technically a term used for wine dating.
In the wine world, from where we borrow the term 'vintage', it refers to a particularly good year, not just a long time ago.

A vintage bead
A bead which is no longer manufactured but is not old enough to be antique.

Researching VINTAGE I found
Pre 1982
Anything built before last year.
anything that is not being made any more

CLOTHING
So you may be shocked to learn that many collectors of used quality clothing define items as 70's vintage or 80's vintage. A vintage purist will tell you that anything within the past 15 years should be referred to as contemporary.
Just because an item is old, does not mean that it is a desirable vintage item. As a consumer or seller it is important to think why a vintage item is desirable.
http://www.fashion-era.com/Vintage_fashion/1_what_is_vintage_fashion.htm#What%20is%20Vintage
alchemy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big & Tall, I say you've come the closest on this so far.

Although for some items, like wine, cars, or people, there are different definitions...the way I've seen these used over the past several years for things like clothes and jewelry is roughly like this:

Anything that was made about a generation ago, and before, can count as vintage -- at least when it's still within the 20th Century. Therefore "vintage" is always a moving target.

"Retro" is something NEW that reproduces or echoes what was in fashion in the past but still considered the generally modern era (loosely defined, the 1930s through 1980s at this point).

"Antique" is generally something from before the 20th Century, although of course, 100 years ago is the Arts & Crafts period of the 20th Century so I can see that being called "antique" now. I'm more likely, though, to be more specific and call something "Victorian" for instance, if there's some clear time period an old piece can be located to.

At least...that's how I sees it...
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it depends on the item and what the commonly accepted terminology of that particular community is.

If you look at some place like eBay (and probably eCrater too) it's very easy to think the terms mean whatever you want them to mean. But all that does is complicate matters...
ljstores

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gosh now i may have to rethink my slogan!!!!
interesting stuff!
I love these boards Laughing

LJ
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alchemy, your things are beautiful! It's my understanding that vintage jewelry is anything over 20 years old, and antique can be ascribed to any jewelry over 100 years old.

I sell vintage jewelry on another venue, and always put the decade of manufacture and designer (if known) in the title to help my customers shop. More than one has thanked me for doing that.

My 2 pennies...
poopsheet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite (sarcasm) is whenever I see "vintage" t-shirts (etc.) on eBay that are simply brand new products made to look like products that wouldn't be vintage even if they were as old as they're made to look (the '80s, for instance).
alchemy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eleganza, thanks so much for the compliment!

Yep, this is an interesting thread. It's a good idea you have eleganza, to put the decade in the title if known. Then people can make their own judgment as to how much age they like on their pieces.

Mmyeah poopsheet, that's the type of thing I would call "retro" - new items echoing older styles.

But you know...fewer and fewer people seem to be able to use English properly, so who knows whether those sellers are trying to pass something off or if they just don't know what the right word is.

(If I see ONE more person confusing "sale" [NOUN] with "sell" [VERB]... Well, you know... I get annoyed. Smile I could go on....but I won't. ...Yet. Very Happy)
Dalgarvenbooks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OHH NO I am halfway to being a genuine antique, well come June I will be! Laughing Laughing Laughing
2BOYSandTOYS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic and I'm guilty.....guilty of being vintage, retro and also almost 1/2 of an antique....

I see all kinds of terms used for a variety of things. I know in clothing, retro is more often used for replica items --- made to 'look like' and vintage is used more often like jewelry - more than 20 years old...

But - when it comes to 'us' - we're only as old as we look and feel - right? So - ask me how it felt to play softball last year in a (r u ready for this......) SENIOR'S LEAGUE? Rolling Eyes Embarassed

It was for 40 and older!!! Obviously, someone in their 20s designed the league, and I'm certain when they hit 40, it'll be called vintage, retro or something else - eh? Very Happy

Erin
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalgar: early happy birthday, I'll be joining ya on June 8!

Erin: YOU GO, GIRL, keep showing 'em how it's done lol! You could easily sell your old uniforms as 'vintage baseball uniforms and equipment'! Laughing

Poopsheet: the ones that really get my dander up are the "new vintage" things you find all over Ebay!
silvermoonxtreme

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son calls me a "fossil" , I would hate to know how old that means.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: