eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Hits from Twitter not showing in Google Analytics
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
YayBeads

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Hits from Twitter not showing in Google Analytics Reply with quote

Okay, I'll add a new item to eCRATER. Occasionally I'll put in a link to an item from Twitter and the item counter in eCRATER will jump over the next 2 minutes). However, Google Analytics never shows these hits from Twitter. Whassup? Any ideas?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
acread

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The initial surge of click I think may be from bots. They change the url etc and may be contacting the page with different part. So it is not all people.

Analytics does show the click from people coming from twitter (I see it in my reports). But not as many as you see in your hit counter at eCrater. And I think the difference is that (the bots).
YayBeads

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're telling me that the bots are picking up links from Twitter and checkin' em out? Shocked Too bad the bots don't buy! Very Happy

('cause this pseudo surge happens immediately after I put the link in Twitter, which may be a day or more from the time I add the item).
aspencounty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellspring wrote:
So you're telling me that the bots are picking up links from Twitter and checkin' em out? Shocked Too bad the bots don't buy! Very Happy

('cause this pseudo surge happens immediately after I put the link in Twitter, which may be a day or more from the time I add the item).

AC is right, most likely a bot visit. Twitter is very popular and content changes by the second and the Google Bot loves that and probables live there just waiting on new links to crawl.

The thing to keep in mind is you can't compare Analytics and the Ecrater counter, they work in entirely different ways. Ecrater's counter is a simple server hit counter which means anything that calls up a file from the server (bots included) will register as a hit.

Analytic is much more sophisticated and requires a person (computer) with an actual IP address to visit a page on which your tracking code embedded.

The Ecrater counter will let you know you site is receiving "activity" but since it registers non-human "hits" it's not a reliable way to measure real visitor traffic where as Anylytics will give an in depth analysis of who and where you traffic is coming from.
YayBeads

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, no problem. The bots are welcome!
poopsheet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is that Google is now displaying Twitter posts in regular search results.
candybarwrappers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My analytics are showing my links from splitweet (that's where I tweet to all my twitter accounts) & from Twitclicks (where I track my link clicks)

So it's all getting picked up in analytics
aspencounty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellspring wrote:
Hey, no problem. The bots are welcome!

You bet! I use other third party statistics on my other sites and I love it when I see Google Bot making lots of visits. Guess that means I'm doing something right to get them there Wink
poopsheet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candybarwrappers wrote:
My analytics are showing my links from splitweet (that's where I tweet to all my twitter accounts) & from Twitclicks (where I track my link clicks)

So it's all getting picked up in analytics

But is it showing clicks from Twitter itself?
acread

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I stated above my analytics account is showing clicks from twitter (not twitclicks cause I am not using that). They are not as many in number as the immediate hit increase in the ecraters hit counter (right after I post the link I see a flurry of hits, that is what makes me think most are bots, cause not everyone following me is present every second and click on every link).
kjscreations

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think...... my hits are FROM Twitter "perse"... but it reads Twitclicks cuz they are my link tracker OR splitweet with regular links that I post cuz I actually post FROM there. But my actual "eyeballs" are from twitter.
Hope that just made sense. Laughing
acread

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twitclicks is just re-routing of the twitter links (if you use twitclick the link you post goes through twitclicks to extract info about the person who clicked on that link. Origin is in twitter and end destination is on the page you want to send people).
poopsheet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AC, good to hear your actual Twitter hits are coming through. I'd imagine everybody will start seeing them soon since Google's including them in the search results now.
acread

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they were always searchable at Google. I do remember seing them a month or so earlier.

The stuff I posted this morning is showing up at Google now. That's fast indexing http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ericandkathy+christine+feehan
poopsheet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, maybe you're right. I thought it was a relatively new thing but I think I might've misinterpreted an article I read.

But I have a bunch of Google Alerts set up and I only saw my first Twitter result within the past couple of weeks. Weird...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: