eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Natural Cures for High Blood Pressure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
auctionmagnet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Natural Cures for High Blood Pressure Reply with quote

I've been going to the dr. lately regarding my blood pressure. In two weeks I went from taken 1 med to now 2 for my blood pressure. Anybody know any natural remedies, other than putting moss in your shoes (my dad told me that one). Smile

auctionmagnet

http://www.auctionmagnet.ecrater.com
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a healthier diet if you need to, exercise, and don't take any over the counter drugs if you don't have to. Also your first med might be clashing with something else you are taking. Show your pharmacist the list of everything you take from vitamins to prescriptions and ask if there are any combinations that are bad. The pharmacists where I live know a lot more about drugs than the prescribing doctors.

Then if this is a very sudden spike in BP, consider whether you are coping with a new stress in your life. If not you might want to have a thorough physical.

Yoga helps by the way.
rememberwhenvintageads

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calcium naturally lowers blood pressure but try to get it by eating leafy greens instead of drinking milk. You get more of it by the greens which is where the milk cows get it from.
aromafields

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you smoke, quit.
Eliminate salt (and salty foods) from your diet.
Take walks to relieve stress.

Wishing you good health!
YayBeads

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the book, "Food, Your Miracle Medicine" by Jean Carper. Dumb Title, great book.

The book is divided into sections on different medical issues, including high BP, cholesterol, diabetes, etc. She writes about various medical studies that have been done with respect to food and how it affected the medical condition. It includes the place that did the study, the number of test subjects, the blind, etc., so that you can judge for yourself the value of the study.

There were some very interesting surprises. For example, eating plain old canned pork and beans can improve your cholestoral (beans are THAT good for you!)

It helped me lower DH's cholesterol 40 points in two weeks!
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back to one med after trying a second one. They kept giving me dizzy spells.

What I did was change my eating habits.

I am on a 'low' sodium diet - 2000 mg per day. Which isn't as bad as some people. You now need to start reading labels and reducing the amount of salt you consume in the many different sources. You would be amazed how much salt is in 'healthy' cereals and breads. Forget soup if you don't make your own. At the same time, you need to become aware of portion control. A can of Progresso soup (my favorite) is actually 2 servings. the salt content on the label is for one serving, so double it and I've consumed almost my entire sodium allowance for the day. Forget frozen processed foods of any kind (veggies are okay, I mean the frozen meals). Packed with sodium. 12 - 16 potato chips (depending on the brand) are a portion, still high in sodium. Forget cold cuts - another source of high sodium, especially ham.

The side affect of lower sodium and small portions - I've lost 25 pounds on this diet. A low sodium diet does not have to be bland. I just did a fresh veggie salad for church and everyone loved the dressing. Very low salt.

There are tons of 'light eating' cookbooks out there with plenty of recipes for new things to try. Since DH puts lots of salt on things anyway, I leave the salt out of even my traditional recipes.

My doctor also recommended the DASH diet. (not Mrs Dash although her low sodium/no sodium seasonings are good) Google it and you will find it comes from one of the heart associations.

If you haven't already, you need to get a home blood pressure taking machine. Take your blood pressure on a regular basis, write down the time and the readings. You may discover a pattern of when it particularly spikes. It will also tell you if the meds are working.

Exercise. My doctor said "any exercise is better than no exercise" when I complained about my arthrititus making it difficult to burn calories. Start simple.
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use fresh herbs to replace the salt and olive oil and lemon juice on salads and cooked veggies.

I've been told chomping on raw carrots has a beneficial effect on BP.

My BP is normal at rest but soars as soon as I move a muscle. It soars even higher when I take BP medicine. After trying numerous medicines it has been decided I'm better off without it. I'm chemically sensitive so I don't react well with any meds.

To the OP. Is the spike in BP sudden or were you just ignoring it and don't know if it was higher before?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: