eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Shipping
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
YourRainyDayBookStore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Shipping Reply with quote

TheConsignmentBarn wrote:
I've just spent the last 3 hours reading posts related to shipping charges ... I did a search and it came up with over 300 different posts with their accompanying answers ... Needless to say, I am more confused than ever ...

I live in Northern Michigan (The Upper Peninsula) ... The items I sell will range in weight from 1 to 2 ounces all up to 20 to 30 pounds ... I managed to get a copy of the USPS rate book and even bought a postage scale ... I have accurate weight on my items but still can't figure out the matrix ... For some reason, this old brain just doesn't understand the matrix ... To simplify things I've been doing some thinking of a flat rate system ... This system would be based on the sale price ... If I decide to sell an item for $30.00 I would add another 40% to the sale price (making the selling price seen by the buyer $42.00) ... I would state that shipping, insurance, tracking and delivery confirmation are all included in the sale price ... I've not had any sales yet and feel it is due to the confusion in the S&H charges ... Is 40% a fair charge? ... Anyone have suggestions?

Hello Terry - Your store looks great! I wasn't able to figure out how to make the shipping matrix work with Zone shipping. Embarassed It would be nice if eCrater ADDED a USPS postage calculator to this site.

Right now you may have a shipping problem! In your listings you dont mention shipping or quote a shipping price. A buyer has to read your FAQ to learn that shipping will be added after purchase. You must have shipping information in your description or you will end up giving buyers free shipping! Crying or Very sad

If a customer enters your listing by using a search engine they will arrive on your page thru the eCrater site and they will see your description page and nothing else. If your customer does click on the FAQ or any of the text pages they wont be seeing your information as they are NOT in your store. Confused

Try a test by going to http://www.ecrater.com/ and clicking any of the categories to bring up an item for sale. It appears to be a sellers store page but it isnt as it has the eCrater logo. Click FAQ, About or Terms and you will find eCrater information! Shocked

I hope this has been helpful (Dont forget to go to the Suggestion forum topic Top 3 and enter your 3 wishes..) Very Happy

joyce

http://YourRainyDayBookStore.ecrater.com
http://AtticTreasures.ecrater.com
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
TheConsignmentBarn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joyce, thank you very much. I didn't realize this. That will addressed very shortly. Thank you for taking the time to look at my store. God Bless. Terry
ClassicTreasures

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capitalus, excellent points on the fixed shipping charges! I have been using this model, and it works great. One more thing: I offer half off the shipping on like items (same weight group) for 2nd and 3d item; and if someone buys more than 3 of my items paid in one invoice, I throw in free shipping on the fourth item, then the number crunching starts from the scratch. I wish there would be a shipping system that could be set up to reflect this method, rather than manually calculating this.
cassiescloset

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: How do you use flat rate shipping? Reply with quote

I have set up the store but have not added any items. To make things easier, I will use flat rate shipping, just like most businesses. Do you have to disable the shipping matrix to use flat rate?
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing to disable since you're the one who sets it up! If you haven't put anything into your matrix, then it's not going to do anything.

When you list your items, use the "fixed shipping" option and fill in your shipping amounts for the listed regions. You have to put something in the "weight" field even though it won't be used--I put a 0, some people put a 1, just something to fill the blank.

Be careful if you plan to sell internationally (other than Canada) because your international buyers will be charged $0.00 for shipping! I've read from BT and others that they just put in the ad that they will ship internationally and to contact them for a quote.

Hope that helps! Smile

Edited to clarify: I didn't explain that last part very well!! Don't check any international "Shipping Zones" if you're going to use flat-rate/fixed shipping, because there is no way to enter a shipping cost to the int'l countries. So they would be able to order and check out, but the shipping would be charged at $0.00...happy customer, sad seller!

Hope that's a little clearer!
noadi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never (and probably will never) refund shipping charges that go over the actual postage. For one thing shipping materials are not free and I add them to my shipping charges.

Think of it this way, how many large companies have you ordered products from? Those which charge shipping have you ever had them refund if it went over?

Figure out what your shipping costs will be to ship the furthest distance in the lower 48 plus the average cost of your shipping materials for a given weight in the matrix and use that (since Hawaii and Alaska are separate in the matrix figure out that cost separately as well). I don't know why the matrix is so confusing, you put the price you want to charge for shipping a certain weight in the matrix and if an order is equal to that weight that's what the customer is charged.

Also remember if you pick flat rate shipping that doesn't mean your customer will be charged that rate for their whole order, just that item. So they buy 2 items both at $4 shipping they get charged $8. If you wan thte shipping the same regardless of how many they order you have to use the matrix (this is easy just enter the same cost into every column except the + column, for that you have to put 0).
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reply was based on cassiescloset's statement that she wished to use flat-rate shipping in her 6/14/08 posting. Everything else in this thread is from 2007 (which gets confusing if you read backwards!).

I too would recommend the matrix to everyone to try to see if it works for him/her--works great for me! If your items are of similar types and weights, it's fine. It won't work well for those who sell armoires and doilies and expect a buyer to order one of each, but it's great if your items are not too dissimilar in weight.

Quote:
I have never (and probably will never) refund shipping charges that go over the actual postage. For one thing shipping materials are not free and I add them to my shipping charges.

Think of it this way, how many large companies have you ordered products from? Those which charge shipping have you ever had them refund if it went over?

I find the whole refunding thing to be very unprofessional and would not recommend it either. Also, it's my understanding that Google Checkout keeps a fee for making a refund--yuck!
zickit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, it's my understanding that Google Checkout keeps a fee for making a refund--yuck!

I personally only refund if it's like a $10 over charge. For $1 or really anything less then $10 I think it's crazy and over the years come to realize that shoppers really don't care. They know how much they are paying in shipping when they pay the order - if they don't like the charges they won't pay it. So it's not like they are expecting a refund.
KratomKeepers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sell seeds and small herb packs in my store. I had an oscommerce site before but something went wrong with it. Then i found ecrater.

I use to charge a flat 5$ fee for all orders, no matter how many products.

Is there a way to do this here?
acread

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KratomKeepers wrote:
I sell seeds and small herb packs in my store. I had an oscommerce site before but something went wrong with it. Then i found ecrater.

I use to charge a flat 5$ fee for all orders, no matter how many products.

Is there a way to do this here?

By fee do you mean shipping cost or an additional constant aount you chage aside from shipping cost?
KratomKeepers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean't flat rate shipping charge.

So no matter what the customer bought or how many of them the only charge aside from the products would be a flat 5$ shipping charge.
zickit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KratomKeepers - go to the shipping matrix and put 5.00 in every box except the last column on the right - put 0.00 in there.

In your listing check ship by weight option.
KratomKeepers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info !!
divine-designers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Fixed Shipping Reply with quote

Is there a way to add the fixed shipping to all products at once?
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixed Shipping Reply with quote

divine-designers wrote:
Is there a way to add the fixed shipping to all products at once?

If you use the ship by weight method - modify your weight to go with the shipping matrix to charge what you want to charge.

Give an example and maybe we can explain it to you better.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: