eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Scammer warning!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> News & System Status
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zickit

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scammer emails normally don't last more then a week or two. Then they get a new one.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
LeasBarbieDollStore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyson@yahoo.com

Printed on Check:

CASHIER'S CHECK
SOUTHSHORECURRENCY
110 N. lAKE ST.
CHICAGO,IL 60601

JP Morgan Chase Bank,N.A.
CHICAGO,IL

check # 2088

The routing number belongs to a bank in Michigan. Mr Williams wants me to send the over payment in the form of a refund to him. Wink
AlmostAntique

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smith vivian" <viviansmith.vivian@gmail.com>

Good day,
Thank you for your response,I am from MO but i am presently in Paris base on a business trip and would be returning home to my family in State Saint Louis so, that is why i need you to help me with the order.

Black Twist Front Dress size 8 ................4 pieces
Baguette Crystal Dress Watch 512-915.................2 pieces
Deluxe Status Watch 888-703...........................2 pieces
Mini Digital Photo Viewer 899-200.......................2 pieces

I would need to know the total cost of all the products i requested and also the name and address you want the payment sent to this week and also a phone number i can reach you on.After you send me this information.Importantly i normally use the ups courier services in shipping my item which they also give me discount and i feel that wont stress you at all, i dont have a valid credit card to process it online at this moment that is why i would be paying your with a confirmed check which will cash instantly at your bank cause i deal in legal transaction and i should always have believe in you.I would send you my shipping address as soon as payment has been received by you and even give you a call.
Please get back to me as soon as possible so i can continue with the purchase

I get so many of these it isn't even funny. I sell at avonandmark4you.ecrater.com and they go to the avon website and send me this garbage. They really must think we are stupid to buy the lie.
DiabeticSocks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: What is a scammer? Reply with quote

I think I understand that a scammer is trying to do something harmful.
I just can't wrap my head around 'how' that happens?

I mean if a person buys something and pays for something - What is the scam?
I am sincere and interested. What should I look out for - in particular.
(like someone wanting personal information?)
thanks!
DiabeticSocks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Oh I get it! Reply with quote

Oh I think I get it now.
I get those emails too!

I usually report them as spam - after reading only 2 lines of the email.

Sometimes I can tell from the title and just report as spam without reading much.

I remember a friend once telling me that someone from Sweden wanted to buy a lot of things from her store. He had a good story about himself too. He wanted to buy this and that for his mother and father, etc.

The buyer was willing to pay ridculous shipping costs and ordered a bunch of stuff.
The buyer then said, We do not have paypal here in Sweden. I will wire the money to you immediately. Just give me your banking information Cool and I will get the money to you immediately. Rolling Eyes
It sounds obvious, but my friend was so excited about the big sale, she wanted to beleive that the buyer was honest. Her neighbor talked her out of it, telling her that once she gave over the bank info, this Guy from Sweden could empty out her account.

It apparently still works, or this guy would not have tried it.
So, it good that you have this blog where people can educate themselves about such things
and
for people to come and ask questions if they are unsure.
EssentialsUnder25

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is it that they do? And do they contact you on ecrater or your personal email? how would you avoid getting caught up in a huge money laundering case, just be safe and use paypal or google checkout and no money orders or checks? people who dont actually have paypal can use the paypal system to enter their credit card info cant they? Now I feel like I cant sell to someone without giving them a full criminal backgroud check Rolling Eyes
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh I get it! Reply with quote

DiabeticSocks wrote:
The buyer then said, We do not have paypal here in Sweden. I will wire the money to you immediately. Just give me your banking information Cool and I will get the money to you immediately. Rolling Eyes

It could very well have been a scam but bank-to-bank-transfer is actually very common in Europe. Americans aren't familiar with it so it, of course, seems completely bogus. But the other party doesn't actually have any access to the bank account. It would be pretty great if it ever caught on here...
zickit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh I get it! Reply with quote

poopsheet wrote:
DiabeticSocks wrote:

It could very well have been a scam but bank-to-bank-transfer is actually very common in Europe. Americans aren't familiar with it so it, of course, seems completely bogus. But the other party doesn't actually have any access to the bank account. It would be pretty great if it ever caught on here...

I agree POOPSHEEET BUT
if they have your bank routing number and your accoutn number they can easily order checks or make their own and cause you ALOT of grief!
So giving out your bank info CAN BE very harmful. Since most of us in America don't have a transfer in only routing number to use as most European banks do.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it depends on the bank info you give out. My understanding is that the only info the other party gets is a wire-transfer-specific number (my bank gave me my SWIFT code when I asked about it) and not actual account info.

Here's what looks to be some pretty good info at Wikipedia for anybody curious about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_transfer
electroniccraver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: I believe this is also a scam Reply with quote

Email address jessy_demola@yahoo.com. He wants to send a phone to Lagos Nigeria. I think I even had a phony email from paypal, but nothing in my account, not even pending. He wants to send it to Jim Ovia. Looked up this guy and he is the MD of Zenith Bank in Lagos Nigeria, how funny. Also watch out for the name Flor Donald, this one is also invlolved but I am not sure how.
katzzskloset

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I got a few days ago, it is from Asia as I checked it out on whois

Order No: 545243
Order Date: 2009-07-08/07:57:29

Ship to:
qwqw qwqw
qwqwe
qweqwe, Florida, 234234
United States
qwqw@sdfsdf.com
acread

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a scam. It's just a fake order (clearly indicated by the name and address.). Just some other seller testing the cart. Or maybe someone saw your post at the Shipping Calculator topic and tried to duplicate it (or one you created accidentally) Hence the Florida address used (and the zipcode is obviously wrong. It has 6 digits instead of 5. Maybe that counts to how you managed to get $20 shipping).
katzzskloset

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No this was done days ago before I had shipping calculater or the matrix filled out cause it was zero for the shipping price. But it was from Asia as i got the info and whether they were testing me who knows, I wasn't sure what it was and i deleted the order and when I came across this forum I decided to add it just in cast it was a scammer.
Barbara
acread

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was a scam it would show a believable address and you'd recieve a fake check or money order for it. So the person can get your product and pay you with a false currency.

It would not have a scrambled none sense name and address. (and that is probably the person telling you it is fake)

Just delete the order.
katzzskloset

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okey dokey Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> News & System Status
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 15 of 21

Jump to: