eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Auctions v. Estate, Tag, or Yard Sales
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
heartofvirginiaantiques

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Auctions v. Estate, Tag, or Yard Sales Reply with quote

Anybody else find auctions to be totally exhausting? I hadn't been to one in a while, but the Mr. and I decided to go to one tonight...4 hours later, we're finally home trying to just relax. I'm exhausted, no way I could do this on weekly basis!

Of course now if I can turn these items for something anywhere close to decent I guess that'd make it worth it.

Razz
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auctions in CO suck! so I don't bother
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been to one in years. Got tired of house plants bidding things up.
critsyscollectibles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went to one auction in our lives and I spent $80 in the first hour. It was too addicting to raise my hand. I quit there and haven't been back to one since.

We do frequent yard sales, tag sales, and yard sales. We find alot of good bargains.
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the early days of eBay, I made a killing at auctions - especially box lots. It wasn't uncommon to double or triple what the box cost. Sometimes items would do well too.

I used to haunt auctions -- Thursday afternoon/evening/night, Friday night, Saturday afternoon and then on Sunday afternoon too -- all in one weekend! I often stayed to the bitter end for the best bargins.

Then we moved to Tennessee where the auctions changed. Instead of multiple estates combined, most of the ones around here are 'house and contents'. That makes it harder to find a really good, profitable auction.

An occasional estate sale is okay - the ones run by the services tend to be expensive, looking for retail/antique shop prices.

Yard sales are a waste of time. Heavy on kids clothes and kids stuff. Reasonably priced, just not what I'm looking for. Except for the 3 small lenox vases I paid $7 for and the Lions Club silent auction got $31 dollars for.
critsyscollectibles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have both estate auctions and regular auctions here in Missouri. I just stay away from both... Wink

Yeah, some of those estate sales are by the professionals, be go to those mostly on the second day in which they offer 25% off or the last day in which they offer 50% off. Sometimes I find good deals. The estate sales by families can be expensive too. So expensive that people walk out with nothing.
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Tyree Trading, I used to love box lots and could find all sorts of profitable items hidden away. I used to go to 7 or 8 in the summer. Now I might go to 1 or 2.
I love garage sales. I buy my clothes to wear to school, items to fix up my house, items to use in class for my students and once in a while, I find stuff for my stores.
atticinthewoods

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only done 1 auction and didn't like it. Takes up way too much time. I love the local estate sales here in MI and I know which ones have $5.00 bag sales during the last 2 hrs of the sale, so I make sure I hit those.

They are amazed how much I can pack into a $5.00 bag. Those always pay off real well for me Laughing

As far as garage sales, seems like they are always a lot of baby stuff so I do drive by's and if they look interesting I stop but if it's a lot of clothing and baby items I keep going. I love the garage sales that are the senior citizens, they always have good stuff that I'm looking for.
thriftysisters

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love going to auctions but haven't been to one in yrs since hubby works evenings when most auction houses around here run their auctions. We live in too big an area where driving all over the city would make it very time consuming and costly to go looking for garage sales.
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a moving sale 2 doors down this weekend and I haven't bothered to go.

Speaking of $5 bags. Once I went to a charity shop that was moving to a new location. They had $2.00 bags. That was the only time I've ever seen that. I didn't find many items I wanted but I got my $2 worth.
1finetreasure

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am totally addicted to auctions but I prefer the on site estate auctions. My husband had never been to an auction until after we were married and I warned him that I become easily addicted to them.

Now, he goes almost as much as I do which is about 3 auctions per week or more if I can find any. At least during the summer months that is.

Box Lots Rock Cool but there are also the boxes when they can't get a bid and they keep adding to it until they do. I've had lots of luck both ways. Yes, it is exhausting but it is also Treasure Hunting and I love it.

Thank goodness for eCrater because I don't think I could quit auctions now even if I tried.
AlmostAntique

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my younger years, auctions where great as I had the patience to sit thru them and wait for the items I wanted. Now It isn't something that I would even consider going out of my way to find. ON the other hand, I love estate sales, yard sales, and thrift store shopping and know when they have their specials. That is when I go, when I have money too that is. When ever you have inventory you have to make sure to have the least invested as possible so that it doesn't hurt if you don't recoup that money for awhile. Sun and Mon are the goodwill store sales, certain color tag is 50% off, St Vincent DePaul store here has specials every week and I would call to find out what before I made the trip. Garage sales I love attending and I always check them out as you never know what you will find. I am a recycler and Love the thrill of the hunt. Even at Garage sales I ask if there having anykind of last day sale and I always ask what is there bottom price. I rarely pay asking price for anything. I want the best price and I am not afraid to dicker.
KatKrater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Consignment Shops, Goodwill, Salvation Army Shops Reply with quote

I might have missed mention of the above, but I focus on them. I'm lucky to have a couple of consignment stores in the area that draw from some upscale communities and have really good deals. Same with Goodwill and the Sally--they have some stores nearby and it doesn't take much time to give them a quick once over.

I think a lot depends of the part of the country that you're in and the general knowledge that you pick up. There are some professional estate sale companies here that are way too expensive and I don't go to them unless its after the 50% off close to closing time. I do go to family run sales, tho; I've met a lot of tired family members who just want to clear out the house.

Kat
critsyscollectibles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Consignment Shops, Goodwill, Salvation Army Shops Reply with quote

KatKrater wrote:
I might have missed mention of the above, but I focus on them. I'm lucky to have a couple of consignment stores in the area that draw from some upscale communities and have really good deals. Same with Goodwill and the Sally--they have some stores nearby and it doesn't take much time to give them a quick once over.

I think a lot depends of the part of the country that you're in and the general knowledge that you pick up. There are some professional estate sale companies here that are way too expensive and I don't go to them unless its after the 50% off close to closing time. I do go to family run sales, tho; I've met a lot of tired family members who just want to clear out the house.

Kat

We have the same issue with Estate sales here too. The professional ones always are expensive. The second day is 25% off and the last day is 50% off. We made the mistake of going to one the day that it opened and oh my, there was a line of people to get in! Most of those people were antique dealers and store owners. We are just some little people who like to see interesting stuff. I think I bought a fake plant and a Revere Ware pan and spent a whole $12. Some of those people were spending over $100 for crazy stuff.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chain thrifts here priced higher than new and ragged to boot. Goodwill has left town, Sally Ann's jewelry is ridiculously high priced and their clothing is tattered and dirty and priced higher than Walmart. I can't make any money if I buy from them for resale.

I have 4 small shops on my route that support local hospices or African orphan aid. Their prices are still reasonable and they get some really great items. They only use volunteer help and maintain their items better than the chains.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: