eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

simple question (about product title in red)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintagecollect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: simple question (about product title in red) Reply with quote

Hello. long time reader first time poster here.
some of my product title headlines are appearing in red instead of blue. I thought maybe it was that they were hidden, or were ordered but I have double checked the listings and google checkout and this was not the case. any suggestions? Question
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi VintageCollect,

The answer is in the FAQ section Solutions to Common Questions - Red Titles in Store Admin

We won't be able to see the item, but if you can't figure out the problem we'll try to help.
vintagecollect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDeesPostcards wrote:
Hi VintageCollect,

The answer is in the FAQ section Solutions to Common Questions - Red Titles in Store Admin

We won't be able to see the item, but if you can't figure out the problem we'll try to help.

Thanks for the memo now I know what it means, but I don't know why that is. I don't have anything that violates the ecrater terms that I know of. Just in case I tried to be more descriptive and changed the category from antique to collectible.

here is my title,
Fantstic Four 209 [1979]

and this is my description,

"Trapped in the Sargasso of Space!"
cgc 7.5 off white pages
1st appearance: herbie the robot
art by John Byrne

and my tags,
[!service:usps mail!]
[!country:USA!]
[!tax:no!]
[!condition:used!]
[!payment_notes:googlecheckout!]
[!brand:fantastic four!]
[!product_type:comic book!]
[!artist:john byrne and joe sinnott!]
[!author:Marv Wolfman!]
[!binding:softcover!]
[!edition:1!]
[!genre:fiction adventure fantasy!]
[!publisher:marvel comics group!]
[!year:1979!]
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is nonsense titles. A lot of your titles don't say if it is a book, DVD, Comic, etc. People search by key words not pictures so Batman 506 means nothing. I'm assuming 506 is your inventory number.

You realize that if you just have Batman as a title, the item will come up every time someone enters Batman in a search line no matter what else they enter. If they enter Batman poster, they don't want to wade through hundreds of Batman DVDs, figurines and comics to find a poster.

ecrater has a lot of leeway in sub categories so much depends on how fine tuned your categorization is (global and global subs).
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Terms of Service, under 3.3 What is not allowed to post? there are 2 that may apply.
- Miscategorization
- Meaningless title & description

Listing a comic published in 1979 as an antique is a miscategorization. It is not an antique. Listing as a collectable is better, but it should be listed in the global Books & Magazines->Comics. This is probably why it was flagged, but only eCrater customer service would know for sure.

Your description probably says alot to a serious collector, but it's not very clear to a non-collector of comics. Very Happy Generally, you want your title to stand alone and explain what's for sale. You have 100 characters and spaces which the search engines will view. I would have put Fantastic Four comic #209 from 1979 1st appearance of Herbie The Robot John Byrne art. That's only 86 so you still have 14 characters you could use. You don't say what your original title & description were, but the way you have them now they don't appear to be meaningless.

Since you've changed the global category and changed the title & description, just send an email to eCrater Customer Service from the contact link on the eCrater.com home page. Be sure to tell them the item url and what you've changed.

Since you listed your attributes, I took a look at them. The ones in red are NOT on the list as available for our use on eCrater. In your admin section, go to products and click on the G to look at the google attribute table. Click on the question mark and there is a list of the attributes we can use. I've marked in red the ones not accepted.

[!country:USA!] we can use [!made_in:US!] the country must be 2 letter as approved by ISO
[!tax:no!] submitted by eCrater from info we input when listing
[!condition:used!] submitted by eCrater from info we input when listing
[!payment_notes:googlecheckout!] submitted by eCrater from info we input when listing

The link for the 2 letter ISO approved country codes as listed in Google's info on attributes:
http://www.iso.org/iso/country_codes/iso_3166_code_lists/english_country_names_and_code_elements.htm

When you look at one of your items in your store and it has the attributes showing, there's something wrong with the way you entered them. When they are done right, you can only see them in your admin section.
ladyknightsjewelry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could any of your movies be adult movies and in the wrong category? Are the titles that are in red movies or VHS tapes?
vintagecollect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDeesPostcards wrote:
In the Terms of Service, under 3.3 What is not allowed to post? there are 2 that may apply.
- Miscategorization
- Meaningless title & description

Listing a comic published in 1979 as an antique is a miscategorization. It is not an antique. Listing as a collectable is better, but it should be listed in the global Books & Magazines->Comics. This is probably why it was flagged, but only eCrater customer service would know for sure.

Your description probably says alot to a serious collector, but it's not very clear to a non-collector of comics. Very Happy Generally, you want your title to stand alone and explain what's for sale. You have 100 characters and spaces which the search engines will view. I would have put Fantastic Four comic #209 from 1979 1st appearance of Herbie The Robot John Byrne art. That's only 86 so you still have 14 characters you could use. You don't say what your original title & description were, but the way you have them now they don't appear to be meaningless.

Since you've changed the global category and changed the title & description, just send an email to eCrater Customer Service from the contact link on the eCrater.com home page. Be sure to tell them the item url and what you've changed.

Since you listed your attributes, I took a look at them. The ones in red are NOT on the list as available for our use on eCrater. In your admin section, go to products and click on the G to look at the google attribute table. Click on the question mark and there is a list of the attributes we can use. I've marked in red the ones not accepted.

[!country:USA!] we can use [!made_in:US!] the country must be 2 letter as approved by ISO
[!tax:no!] submitted by eCrater from info we input when listing
[!condition:used!] submitted by eCrater from info we input when listing
[!payment_notes:googlecheckout!] submitted by eCrater from info we input when listing

The link for the 2 letter ISO approved country codes as listed in Google's info on attributes:
http://www.iso.org/iso/country_codes/iso_3166_code_lists/english_country_names_and_code_elements.htm

When you look at one of your items in your store and it has the attributes showing, there's something wrong with the way you entered them. When they are done right, you can only see them in your admin section.

wow. thanks that is helpful. So much to learn.
vintagecollect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladyknightsjewelry wrote:
Could any of your movies be adult movies and in the wrong category? Are the titles that are in red movies or VHS tapes?

They were all comic books and magazines not movies and no they did not contain adult material.
vintagecollect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat wrote:
My guess is nonsense titles. A lot of your titles don't say if it is a book, DVD, Comic, etc. People search by key words not pictures so Batman 506 means nothing. I'm assuming 506 is your inventory number.

You realize that if you just have Batman as a title, the item will come up every time someone enters Batman in a search line no matter what else they enter. If they enter Batman poster, they don't want to wade through hundreds of Batman DVDs, figurines and comics to find a poster.

ecrater has a lot of leeway in sub categories so much depends on how fine tuned your categorization is (global and global subs).

Not sure what an inventory number is, batman 506 is the specific name, maybe I should add "#" and "comic" if it will help. I think I get it. Thanks.
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Not sure what an inventory number is, batman 506 is the specific name, maybe I should add "#" and "comic" if it will help. I think I get it. Thanks."[/quote]

I meant your own personal inventory number. I saw several titles with a number after the name. Not being a comic book collector I didn't associate it with a comic serial number. Sellers with large inventories often assign their own numbering system for their own convenience.

I still think your problem is your titles not being explicit enough. Didn't check to see if you had changed any of them today. If enough of your titles are vague, admin could choose to suspend your store till they are fixed. If it is only a small percentage of your items, they might just flag them to get your attention. Don't know how they do it.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The numbers would be issue numbers, sort of the equivalent of Dog Fancy April 2009.

I would make a title something along the lines of:

Fantastic Four #209 John Byrne Marv Wolfman 1979

I'd actually add even more keywords if they'd fit. Basically it just presents more info. To the non-comics reader it probably still looks like a nonsense title but it provides more info for the shopper and, most importantly, makes it easier for them to find your books when they search by something other than title (John Byrne, for example). Keep in mind that the search at ecrater.com is titles-only, unfortunately.
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poopsheet wrote:
The numbers would be issue numbers, sort of the equivalent of Dog Fancy April 2009.

I would make a title something along the lines of:

Fantastic Four #209 John Byrne Marv Wolfman 1979 comic book

I'd actually add even more keywords if they'd fit. Basically it just presents more info. To the non-comics reader it probably still looks like a nonsense title but it provides more info for the shopper and, most importantly, makes it easier for them to find your books when they search by something other than title (John Byrne, for example). Keep in mind that the search at ecrater.com is titles-only, unfortunately.

Why do people try to avoid saying what an item is? Titles geared solely to sophisticated collectors eliminate, except by accident, new collectors or people who just like the Fantastic Four.
ladyknightsjewelry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vintagecollect wrote:

Not sure what an inventory number is, batman 506 is the specific name, maybe I should add "#" and "comic" if it will help. I think I get it. Thanks.

I would add "comic book" and also #.

I noticed when I searched Google products that a lot of the titles for Batman 506 also had the year and the condition.

I have another store that has trading cards and I listed the condition in the title also.

List as much as you can in the 100 character title field
T
vintagecollect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaggietheCatsMeows wrote:
"Not sure what an inventory number is, batman 506 is the specific name, maybe I should add "#" and "comic" if it will help. I think I get it. Thanks."

I meant your own personal inventory number. I saw several titles with a number after the name. Not being a comic book collector I didn't associate it with a comic serial number. Sellers with large inventories often assign their own numbering system for their own convenience.

I still think your problem is your titles not being explicit enough. Didn't check to see if you had changed any of them today. If enough of your titles are vague, admin could choose to suspend your store till they are fixed. If it is only a small percentage of your items, they might just flag them to get your attention. Don't know how they do it.[/quote]

Correct. Those are serial numbers. I had never heard of anyone adding their personal inventory number for convenience to a title before, I still don't get where the convenience is. I changed my titles to be more descriptive and I figured out that I was miscategorizing my products into antiques when they should have been in books/magazines>comics. I think everything is better now, although I haven't gotten a response from ecrater customer service and my items are still red. If I don't get a reply by tomorrow, I may erase and re-list.
ladyknightsjewelry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may take a while to get a response from eCrater customer service, so you may not get a response that quickly.

T
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: