eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Buyer wants copy of cross stitch chart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wendyscrossstitchandmore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Buyer wants copy of cross stitch chart Reply with quote

Hi I wanted to get some advice. I received an email and a buyer wants to buy just a copy of a chart that is in one of my kits. Since this kit is unopened I would have to open it up and would have to lower my price since it will have been opened. The cross stitch chart is in color so I would have to go make copies of them since it is 2 pages both sides. I told her for $5.50 I would do this and it includes S/H.

I received an email back and she said $3.00 for the chart and $1.00 for S/H. Am I wrong to tell her no. Since I have to go out of my way to make copies. Please let me know what you think and thank you so much for any advice.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making a photocopy of a pattern to sell is against copyright law. I don't believe it is ethical either for all of those sellers who scan other designers patterns and sell them as pdf copies or photocopies. If she wants it she can buy the original kit. Tell her that.
wendyscrossstitchandmore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I didn't know that. I will tell her to just buy the Kit. I just sent her an email. I told her I would give her a discount if she bought the kit. I should of none that you can not make copies of the designs. Thank you again for letting me know.
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are certain dates where items become public domain and technically it is ok to make copies but I believe the item has to be over 25 years old. You would have to research it. I am sure your cross stitch pattern is newer than that. It is just my opinion that it is unethical to make copies and sell them. Anyone can do that. I could be making lots of money doing that but I happen to like original patterns, especially the really old ones.
Your store is very nice.
Lori
wendyscrossstitchandmore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lastade-designs wrote:
There are certain dates where items become public domain and technically it is ok to make copies but I believe the item has to be over 25 years old. You would have to research it. I am sure your cross stitch pattern is newer than that. It is just my opinion that it is unethical to make copies and sell them. Anyone can do that. I could be making lots of money doing that but I happen to like original patterns, especially the really old ones.
Your store is very nice.
Lori

Thank you Lori
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't break a seal on an kit for anyone. Least of all photo copy a copyrighted product. She could be setting you up and then would report you for doing it.
wendyscrossstitchandmore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know that's another good point. Never thought of that either. Anyways I did tell her no on the copy and if she really wanted the chart to buy the kit.
momsretro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general works published before 1923 are in the public domain. Here's a link to the US Copyright office page:

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap3.html
wiresandcrystals

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to make copies of a professional picture my parents had done at church. When I went to Wal-Mart they refused to make a copy because it has to be over 50 yrs old. I did get a copy made at a different store because it was over 25 years old.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: