eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Please read eCrater's terms of service. There are additions.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acread

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Please read eCrater's terms of service. There are additions. Reply with quote

If you haven't noticed yet, there is a difference in eCrater's Terms of Service. Please take a minute to read it again right now.

http://www.ecrater.com/terms.php
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
hoodat-teeshirts-andmore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Please read eCrater's terms of service. There are additi Reply with quote

ACRead wrote:
If you haven't noticed yet, there is a difference in eCrater's Terms of Service. Please take a minute to read it again right now.

http://www.ecrater.com/terms.php

HOO BOY. Every one of my items has "All of my items are guaranteed" as the last description line. If I'm not mistaken that will be considered boilerplate by Google.
acread

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a notice from eCrater that
Quote:
while we do not currently strictly enforce this requirement we may start doing this in future.
(refering to section 3.3)

So keep that in mind as you list new items.

I'm guessing it is not something to panic over. Just try to edit gradually I guess.

And definitely stay away from it in the new listings.
hoodat-teeshirts-andmore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crossing my fingers. Between my two stores I would have close to 1,000 items to edit that last line out of.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it. So, is 3.3 enforced for new listings or not? That boilerplate thing really is a deal-breaker.
Comics-Emporium

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so what does boilerplate actually mean?(in lamen's terms)
acread

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know as much as you guys do. I posted what I found and my take on it.

The section 3.3 and the above quote is all I got.

I'm guessing the "boilerplate" thing is same thing on bunch of pages and mostly refers to shipping info and terms etc info people have been putting in their listings.

So whatever you describe it needs to be related to product itself and not the store in general, store terms, or store owners preferences, practices etc. Those types of things go to Text pages. At least that is what I think it means. (I am guessing).
prairiedtreasures

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now I have a question. The terms say that we are not to post copyrighted materials, text or images. Does that mean we can't add movies? I have a whole bunch of VHS movies, most of which I just added today. Am I going to have to remove them because of the copyright thing?
hoodat-teeshirts-andmore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prairiedtreasures wrote:
Ok, now I have a question. The terms say that we are not to post copyrighted materials, text or images. Does that mean we can't add movies? I have a whole bunch of VHS movies, most of which I just added today. Am I going to have to remove them because of the copyright thing?

I think that refers to using copyrighted images without permision, such as catalog pics lifted off the net.
prairiedtreasures

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks. If it was against TOS, I was going to take them all down. Smile
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoodat-teeshirts-andmore wrote:
Crossing my fingers. Between my two stores I would have close to 1,000 items to edit that last line out of.

If the line "I gladly combine shipping." is considered a boiler plate then I have about 4000 items to edit. And whether ecrater is just giving a warning or not, Google has already removed my items.
GoneFunky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is crazy...I'm not blaming eCrater but rather pointing the finger at Google. Most sellers have some sort of C/P they put at the bottom of listings. We all know customers aren't going to take the time to go to your about me or terms pages.

Gee when will Google stop the madness! Shocked
aspencounty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frillypad wrote:
I think this is crazy...I'm not blaming eCrater but rather pointing the finger at Google. Most sellers have some sort of C/P they put at the bottom of listings. We all know customers aren't going to take the time to go to your about me or terms pages.

Gee when will Google stop the madness! Shocked

Got to agree. I think G has gone to far with all the crap. As far as I can tell this whole mess is only dealing with Google Base/Google Products and doesn't make a rats behind to any of the search engines including Google. I'll just make a short comment on that. If you seem to be chasing your tail and changing things every few days trying to conform to G base and G products what could all this possibly be doing to your SERP positions in the search engines. What would your sites look like if all this junk from Google simply disappeared tomorrow. I know it may be hard to believe but there is life and sales beyond G Products

I find it funny that Google says built your site for visitors not for the search engines but now they seem quite comfortable telling webmasters just what they consider acceptable and how to do something or not do things if you wish to use their 8 year old still in beta ( should be a clue) Base and Shopping. What's sad it next week they will come up with some other BS and expect everyone to jump through their hoops again and again and again.
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will also have to edit many listings (about 650) that say I will combine mailing and to visit the other pages of my store. I better get started, see you all later!
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACRead wrote:
I'm guessing the "boilerplate" thing is same thing on bunch of pages and mostly refers to shipping info and terms etc info people have been putting in their listings.

This is what I'd asked about last May, after VintageMoonbeams, DoYouReadMe, and LotsOfPatterns brought up the issue of boilerplate.

See http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=17296

The conclusion at the time, from BigTall (on p2 of the thread), was that so many sellers would be in violation that BT couldn't see how Google could apply the rules.

Well, 5 months later, Google applied the rules by refusing product pages that did not conform.

So the issue I'd raised still stands. A number of sellers besides myself, incl VintageMoonbeams apparently, incl information about shipping in every listing b/c we use different classes of mail service and need to inform buyers what the fixed shipping charge covers. See also her comment at http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=19239 on p5.

I sell everything from jewelry that weighs less than 1 oz to a car jack and lug wrench that weighs 12 lbs...and use 1st Class, Media, Priority, Parcel Post, and Express Mail, plus Del or Sig Confirmation, plus insurance, and various combinations thereof.

If we are not allowed to incl shipping information in our product descriptions, how do we communicate with buyers about shipping for the individual products? It can't go in terms, b/c diff products have diff shipping. Do we have to e-mail with buyers about shipping for every transaction? If yes, at what point in the buying process would that happen...after someone already pays with GCO and is expecting their shipping charge to cover Express Mail when it really covers Parcel Post? That will be burdensome for sellers, offputting for buyers, and unnecessarily confusing, not to mention seemingly deceptive. I can understand prohibitions against long boilerplate with extensive shipping policy on every product page. But the TOS language needs to be refined to allow for shipping information necessary for the particular product as opposed to generic shipping terms.

So I'm looking for ideas about how to solve this problem, b/c I don't have any. And this may affect any number of sellers besides myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: