eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Please read eCrater's terms of service. There are additions.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zannsvintage

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we are not allowed to mention our store name anywhere?
Is this a rule or are you just guessing.
It would mean every single listing I have up having to be revised one by one, months, maybe years of work for nothing!
I'm not doing it for a rumor.

And no mention of shipping even if only applies to very specific items, how can we tell buyers which items media mail is available for?
I do not use the shipping calculator, if I did, and used media mail, wouldn't it show media mail rates for every item, even if the item is not eligible? (just like the problem people were having with heavy items showing first class a while ago) ecrater does not have a way to put different mail methods on different listings.
Would something Like "this item is eligible for media mail" be allowed but "shipping given..." (the exact same message in different words) not?

So far all but four of my listings go through the upload OK. Does this mean what I have does not count as "boilerplate" or what? how do we find out?

How do we know which words are not allowed? Is there a list or anything on google or anywhere?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
acread

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zannsvintage wrote:
So we are not allowed to mention our store name anywhere?

Where did you get that? I never said such thing. Go back and read what I wrote carefully.
Quote:
Is this a rule or are you just guessing.
It would mean every single listing I have up having to be revised one by one, months, maybe years of work for nothing!
I'm not doing it for a rumor.

I am not telling anyone to do anything. I do not spread rumors.

You are free to interpret things as you like. And act on them as you like.

I am not advising.
zannsvintage

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to find out if "See more ___ at Zann's Vintage!" is "boilerplate" or not?
Most listings have it filled in with something like "items in this pattern" (of dinnerware) , "Xs from this series", sometimes a type of merchandise like "plus size clothing" etc.

If the store name is not what is forbidden, why would I need to remove that line?

Sorry, I'm not blaming you AC or anyone else, just very frustrated, I was burned before,because when I first came here I took advice from the boards at face value, which turned out to be wrong and had to spend months, revising every listing. I just don't want to spend time revising and find out I removed stuff that was not banned or left in something that was and have to start over.
acread

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you don't trust the advice here, why even ask it here? Don't take it the wrong way. I am just looking at the logic of it.

If you are too worried just contact eCrater and ask them. Use the contact page. Since it is their rule they will be able to tell you if it is OK or not for sure.
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked again at the individual item listing page. Anything that was already covered or a link already provided will be deleted from my listings with the hope that will pretty much cover 'boilerplate' info. That's become my approach to the whole thing.

I was already planning to make changes to the titles so they look better in the "Other Products by Tyree Trading" display and the search. So changing the descriptions just became an additional task.

I keep all my listings in word, so I can edit there first and then paste the new text. So far, two stores are complete and I've begun changing the listings on-line. Two other stores (with the largest number of items) are still works in progress.
TreasuredTwiceVarietyShop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the following text acceptable in the description?

I am offering several earlier years in this series of Wichita River Festival buttons, sold as separate items, so please check the other items in my Treasured Twice Variety Shop for these.

Thanks again for shopping with us here at http://www.TreasuredTwiceVarietyShop.ecrater.com.

We invite you to visit our other online shops at http://www.VintageMoonbeams.ecrater.com and at http://www.OldChinaDishShop.ecrater.com
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TreasuredTwiceVarietyShop wrote:
Is the following text acceptable in the description?

I am offering several earlier years in this series of Wichita River Festival buttons, sold as separate items, so please check the other items in my Treasured Twice Variety Shop for these.

Thanks again for shopping with us here at http://www.TreasuredTwiceVarietyShop.ecrater.com.

We invite you to visit our other online shops at http://www.VintageMoonbeams.ecrater.com and at http://www.OldChinaDishShop.ecrater.com

In my opinion ? No, that is not what Google is trying to winnow down to. From what I can tell, GP only wants to see a pure description of the item. What you are describing is another reason why I'd like to have the ability to limit what part of the description gets included in the feed to GP. Currently, the entire description is sent to GP (which is where the problem arises).

Ray
acread

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask eCrater. Other sellers cannot tell you what you should or should not do and what exactly will or will not be acceptable by eCrater. Anything would be a guess. Either use your own judgement or contact the people who made the rules.

All we know is what is typed at the Terms and that eCrater is not strictly enforcing it for now. This does not mean they are not going to enforce it in the future. For all we know they are just giving time to sellers to edit the multitudes of listings.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when you ask eCrater please share the answer in the forums.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think even ecrater knows exactly which words or phrases will get you banned from Google and can only give you a calculated guess.
Ecrater suggested to me that "excellent vintage" etc. could be cause for concern in my listings. I won't go that far because for me that is part of an honest description. I don't put excellent vintage in a description if something has flaws so to me it is item specific.

Let's face it. Every word in the world becomes boilerplate if you sell a lot of one particular category. Books are rated fine, near fine, etc by the used book industry. Are we to remove those words and leave buyers in a total fog about the condition?

I'm starting to agree with AspenCounty that there is life after/without Google.
RustyFarmall

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere in this thread I saw where someone mentioned that maybe the word "beer" in the title or description is what is rejecting the google search. Just for fun, I did a Google search for beer stein, and got 780,000 results.
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if lists of keywords most often associated with the seller's item or even encompassing keywords for all types of items often sold by that store are considered "boilerplate" or maybe even violate some rule for "keyword spamming" if they are included in the item description?

Have a great day!

VintageMoonbeams
poopsheet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows. The only way they could really stay on top of this is to do it automatically by certain keywords or phrases. I imagine we'll see lots of listings rejected unnecessarily a la eBay.
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poopsheet wrote:
Who knows. The only way they could really stay on top of this is to do it automatically by certain keywords or phrases. I imagine we'll see lots of listings rejected unnecessarily a la eBay.

Yes, I was wondering about that. Over on feebay do they even have a "terms", "about", etc. page to put their other information? I think it all has to go on the listing page, so can't see how any of the auctions there will be in compliance. Lots of those folks have fancy designed templates that include massive amounts of "boilerplate" information, including all their terms and shipping information. Can't imagine Google doing a mass reject of the feebay auctions and stores, but....just wondering......

VintageMoonbeams
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vintagemoonbeams wrote:

Yes, I was wondering about that. Over on feebay do they even have a "terms", "about", etc. page to put their other information? I think it all has to go on the listing page, so can't see how any of the auctions there will be in compliance. Lots of those folks have fancy designed templates that include massive amounts of "boilerplate" information, including all their terms and shipping information. Can't imagine Google doing a mass reject of the feebay auctions and stores, but....just wondering......

VintageMoonbeams

That's why I think it all boils down to money. All the sites showing up prominantly on GPS and have loads of boilerplate data on the listing are from paying sites.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: