eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Do YOU actually sell things?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poopsheet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's just not how eCrater works. The truth is not very many people see sales very quickly after opening their store.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
AustinDridge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently you misunderstood. Promoting the individuals stores are fine but the entire site needs promotion too. If you tell someone you are on ecrater or mention you mention you have a tore on it, you 99.9 per cent of the time get a blank stare like "What the hell is that?" or worse Obviously they considered it a substandard site because they never heard of it Ebay, Amazon, and others get traffic because people automatically recognize the name Without that recognition we are all suffering
Austin
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you tell someone you are on ecrater

You should be telling them you have your own online store.
UNLESS you are talking to sellers that might be interested in selling at a place for FREE

Quote:
Ebay, Amazon, and others get traffic because people automatically recognize the name Without that recognition we are all suffering

and guess what ... those that sell there pay dearly for the honor.

You are missing the fact that YOU should be spending your money you are saving to list and sell for FREE on the advertising that you are saying eCRATER should do. eCRATER is giving you a space to sell your items for FREE and you are expecting them to go get your buyers too
acread

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AustinDridge wrote:
Apparently you misunderstood. Promoting the individuals stores are fine but the entire site needs promotion too. If you tell someone you are on ecrater or mention you mention you have a tore on it, you 99.9 per cent of the time get a blank stare like "What the hell is that?" or worse Obviously they considered it a substandard site because they never heard of it Ebay, Amazon, and others get traffic because people automatically recognize the name Without that recognition we are all suffering
Austin

You are comparing grapes and watermellons.

eBay makes money for everything sold or listed at theirs site as well as keeping stores. So they have a commodity they need to be selling. Which is what they did for more than a decade (and a half I think. I can't recall when they started).

Amazon itself sells goods. It is not just a venue for other sellers to set up shop. They also take huge chunks of money from anything anyone else sells on their site as well as all the pro stores kept there. Which means they also have a huge commodity they are selling. They also have been in this business for a decade or more.

They are huge companies (arguably two of the biggest selling companies on the internet). They have huge amount of money to spend on promoting (which they do. Prime time commercials, morning news cast mentions etc do not come for free). They very likely have huge departments just devoted to advertising and promoting and link building and all kinds of stuff that makes them present everywhere on the net.

But as I said they have a commodity to sell.

eCrater does not. eCrater is free to use, sell and list at. As well as to keep a store. They are not a huge company with a huge staff devoted for advertising (since paying those peoples sallaries would cost money and there is no money going in. You don't pay, I don't pay. Where do you suppose it is to come from? The few Google Ads on site do not bring such amounts. If it did everyone would be quiting their jobs to make a website and get money from Google Ad clicks. Since that is not happening you can assume it is not such a significant source.)

You pay a fee at eBay and Amazon and huge part of that I bet goes to advertising. You don't pay that fee at eCrater so you can use it to advertise on your own. You can either substitute your own time or buy advertisement with it. That is up to you.

Since eCrater does not sell anything on its own they do not need to advertise to general pulic. Their client is us. Actually client is a wrong word cause it implies we pay something and we don't. Their name need only be known by the selllers. I think a lot of sellers do know it. It is gradually getting out there.

If you want to help promote eCrater see what can be done and give ideas at eCRATER Promoters forum: http://community.ecrater.com/viewforum.php?f=18
AustinDridge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All your points are well taken but the key factor is that ecrater has no name value this is why we just took a big drop in hits at the start of October
because Google revised their numerical calculations we were badly beaten by the larger names and hence rank far below them when people search They are not going to go though dozens of listings to reach this location and it doesn't make any difference weather the site was set up for this reason or another reason If as you are saying it is because they have large budget maybe we should all be kicking in some small fee to build up the site

Austin
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All your points are well taken but the key factor is that ecrater has no name value this is why we just took a big drop in hits at the start of October

LMAO
that's NOT the reason.
UP until recently eCRATER had the best placement on google over every site.
Some things changed that apparently effect you and some other sellers.
So that's ecrater.com fault?

I want MY NAME to have the value. THat's what I work at doing. BUT hey, how you market your store is your business. If you want to think it's some one elses job to do your advertising -- go for it.
AustinDridge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not blaming ecrater but I am making suggestions on how to improve the situation for all of us. What would it cost to take a few ads in various locations? Obviously one dealer could not do that but as a group we possible could It would increase hits for all of us and maybe increase sales Wouldn't you like to increase sales on your store too? I read most of the links before I posted to this topic and utilize many of the ideas It is simply not enough for both me and many dealers We needs some fresh ideas that we can do as s group to improve the public perception of the entire site
Austin
acread

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AustinDridge wrote:
I am not blaming ecrater but I am making suggestions on how to improve the situation for all of us. What would it cost to take a few ads in various locations? Obviously one dealer could not do that but as a group we possible could It would increase hits for all of us and maybe increase sales Wouldn't you like to increase sales on your store too? I read most of the links before I posted to this topic and utilize many of the ideas It is simply not enough for both me and many dealers We needs some fresh ideas that we can do as s group to improve the public perception of the entire site
Austin

Maybe you should volunteer to research how much it would cost, where and how to to advertise. Then organize something like that and see if there are any who will give money for it. So you can do it for a group of interested sellers. As a separate thing.
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about a year or many longer someone else was going to put together an eCRATER advertising compaign. I remember the post saying something about his/her uncle being retired from the advertising world.
I don't think it every happened.

Sometimes this same issue is discussed on the PSU ecrater board as well.

I say -- go for it!
poopsheet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an even better argument for you. Do some serious reading of the forums, learn about the problematic nature of eCrater's venue-type set-up and you'll be glad eCrater isn't bringing customers to the main site.

You're much better off not mentioning you have a store "on eCrater" but rather that you "have a store and here's the URL."

Your point is well taken but for it to do any real good would mean a serious reworking of the site itself and that's unlikely...
nothingnew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I advertise ecrater everyday I mention it to everyone I talk to plus, I painted my store name on the back of my rig in black and orange colors' And I've driven from Florida to NY and back again and all points in between all summer long.Smile
kjscreations

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several different stores...websites etc.
Mine are all doing different.... this time of year, my candy bars & candywrappers are going Gangbusters but not my ceiling fans. In the spring & summer, ceiling fans are selling like crazy but not the candybars.
My other sites are doing great too.

Sooo... my opinion is sell different stuff on different stores....
I get great sales all year long Smile
AustinDridge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am checking into the ad rates but even if I find satisfactory rates who is handling the money that needs to be collected? Do we pay it to ecrater?

I also had a friend check on some of the search engines and how ecrater rates with them He took several products and found that none of the ecrater stores appeared on the first four pages of the search This means that for all practical purposes expecting traffic from the search engines is hopeless. This has nothing to do with key word or the type of product since he tried a number of products of various type and used a number of different key words to search that relate to the product This is not good news

Austin
acread

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AustinDridge wrote:
I am checking into the ad rates but even if I find satisfactory rates who is handling the money that needs to be collected? Do we pay it to ecrater?

Nope. Your advertising has nothing to do with eCrater. They will not get involved with it.

You need to figure out your own advertising. If you want to organize a group to join you that is your business. You take initiative.
AustinDridge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For legal reasons (and yes I have checked) it has to be done from ecrater Why will they not do it if we provided the money and the support?
Given the search information I provided you need some thing to jump start the site Otherwise ....
Austin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: