eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

New to ecrater. Can you help me out.?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traderoutlet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: New to ecrater. Can you help me out.? Reply with quote

Hi I am new. Not entirely new, but new. I thought people were just going to pour into my store. I didn't realize, but I do now, that you need to promote. I am learning all I can about promoting to get people there. This forum is very helpful.

Does anyone know anything else maybe not posted on the forum about successfull promoting your ecrater. ? Anything would be helpfull.

Also my store is www.traderoutlet.ecrater.com I have army caps, navy caps, etc for sale. I think it might be a bit sloppy. Can anyone can give me any pointers on how to improve my ecrater store? Thanks a mill and god bless.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you read ALL 18 pages of Advertising ideas for PROMOTING your store
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.

I don't think your store is a mess. I think you just need to flesh it out a bit and add more items. 8 items on the internet of billions(?) of items don't stand much chance of being found.

Second thing that is lacking is good titles. You write: Army Cap
Is this official Army surplus? If so a better title might be:
Army camoflauge cap adjustable one size Army surplus.

That gives you more key words to match up with people searching for an army cap.

You only have one category called military hats but SWAT, Police, and FBI are not military so you might want to create a second category or change the name of that one to a more general one.

Next: that guy in uniform you have up where the logo goes. Add your store name to him. You have room and it enables people to remember where people saw your items.

Make your home page blurb a little friendlier.

Also I'm not sure about your line at the bottom of each description about free shipping. According to Google's new terms they don't want any boiler plate terminology in the titles or descriptions.

Good luck.
Books2Read

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trader, welcome to ecrater.

Listen to Maggie. Her advice is always sound and good.
Above all, get a name for your store.
traderoutlet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Thanks for reply Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies. See, told ya this forum is very helpfull! Special thanks to maggiethehousecat, thank you for checking out my site.

Ok so I need more items, check. I need better titles for better search results, check. You also have a good point with the categories. I think I do need more categories.

The only thing Im not to sure how to fix is where you said Make home page blurb a little friendlier. What do you suggest?

Also what is wrong with free shipping.? Is this a bad thing? I thought it might encourage customers to buy. Should I change it? Once again thanks a mill
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for reply Reply with quote

traderoutlet wrote:

Also what is wrong with free shipping.? Is this a bad thing? I thought it might encourage customers to buy. Should I change it? Once again thanks a mill

Maggie's point was not a comment on offering to pay the shipping yourself (it's not really free, since somebody's got to pay it!). There's been a recent change in the rules for Google Products and at Ecrater.com. Your item description should only contain just that--the item description. No shipping terms, no other info about your store, etc. Sellers who have included such text on each item (it's referred to as "boilerplate") are now having to go and edit it out, and since there's no bulk editing, it's one item at a time. No fun when you have hundreds or thousands of items! So if you get yours fixed now before you add too many more, your job will be easier.

Welcome and hope you have great sales!
Becky Smile
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By a friendlier home page I mean don't be so terse. Write a welcome sentence to start and invite people into your store with the name of the store. I realize men generally use fewer words than women and that your items seem male oriented, but women might be checking out your site too, especially as we approach the holidays. Describe your store a little more fully. You have the space.

Nothing wrong with what you said, just make it more conversational. Imagine we are having coffee and you tell me you opened a store on ecrater. I ask you what kind of store. What would you say back?
Books2Read

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for reply Reply with quote

[quote="wtcollectibles"]
traderoutlet wrote:

Your item description should only contain just that--the item description. No shipping terms, no other info about your store, etc.

WTC, thanks for that info. I wasn't aware of the change. I decided to edit hundreds of my listings before I got in trouble. Wink
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the whole thread about the change in ecrater terms of service:

http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=19432

The consensus seems to be that we'll have time to work on edits; I'm doing a couple every time I come in to list something new. It doesn't seem like anything to stress out over immediately, but we might as well get on with it sooner rather than later.

Personally, I'm hoping for a warning with a little notice down the road, like "Items not in line will be canceled/hidden/whatever by xxx date" so that we have a goal to shoot for. May be too optimistic, but I can still hope! Wink In the meantime, I just keep plugging!
Becky
Books2Read

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTC, I don't think it's anything to panic about, but I figured it's best to fix it while I had the time. I feel sorry for anyone having thousands of items who may not yet know about this change. Hopefully ecrater will not make them change all their own listings prior to the change.

I played it safe. Hope I did it right. Wink
traderoutlet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Hows that Reply with quote

Hello everyone and thanks again. I have removed the shipping info in description of items to avoid problems. I have updated titles and logo a little bit. I have created 2 more categories. I even updated the welcome.

Somehow it still doesn't feel right.

I get alot of views. Which is a good thing. But not many people are buying. I hope this small changes can help a bit.

Special thanks to MaggietheCatsMeows and Books2Read! If you can find anything else i can improve with www.traderoutlet.ecrater.com please let me know. Thanks again to all !
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you improved greatly.

In your categories, Army and Navy are military so since you have nothing listed in military, I'd delete it. If you list Air Force or Coast Guard hats later you can create more categories.

I think adding more to your descriptions would help, measurements for instance.

On your home page I think you have a typo or maybe you meant it this way. You said Stack up for Christmas. I thought you meant stock up but then thought maybe you were suggesting people buy a stack of hats.

Keep working on it. Success rarely comes instantly and with unemployment over 10% in the US, they may come slower than normal although there is really no normal.

Keep adding items.
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it looks a lot better now! More welcoming, better titles, the whole thing looks good! Now just keep adding more items as you have time and your traffic will pick up.

And don't forget to start a topic for yourself in the Promote Your Ecrater Store forum. Use it like a blog. Remember that you're not just advertising to the other sellers here, which is how some think of it, although you will get looks from others on the forums. The search engines crawl those posts, too, so use a lot of keywords and type in your URL. If you don't have a blog somewhere else for your store, you could even direct people to that thread in a pinch.

I mention the Promote thread because I've been really negligent about that for my own store and I'm trying to remind myself to start posting there regularly! Embarassed I've just started a blog, too, and trying to get it going. Lots of hard work but I think it'll all pay off in the long run!

Best wishes for you and your store!
Becky
wrhmcp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Welcome To eCrater Reply with quote

Welcome To eCrater Very Happy
DAsian-Decor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your store looks great!

I think the more items you add to your store, the more traffic you will get. This is speaking from experience. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: