eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Why do other sellers items show on some sellers item pages?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lindasbuttonsandbeads

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Why do other sellers items show on some sellers item pages? Reply with quote

I was in the process of setting up a store when I noticed that sometimes similar items show in a persons item listing.

It seems to be just sometimes because when i found something through Google it showed that sellers other items in the listing page.

Why not show the sellers other items all the time?

It was confusing because it was shown before the information about that seller leading me to think at first that all of the items were from that one seller.

I like to buy several things from one seller to save on shipping so I find that a little confusing and it seems like it would be much better if it showed the sellers other items instead all the time.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one on this forum will argue with you. The policy was started in the summer replacing more items by same seller and it has been very unpopular.
lindasbuttonsandbeads

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am putting the store on hold for now. I don't think I like that at all. It is confusing to buyers and can't be good for sellers.

I will have over 500 listings and would much rather my own other listings be shown there.

I'll keep an eye out but will go back to checking the other sites. That is a shame because I really like the looks of ecrater and have always enjoyed the transactions I have made here with other buyers.

I knew it was fairly new because it wasn't there when I bought some baby clothes for my granddaughter last year.
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you are on the ecrater site - you see everyones items
IF the shopper is directly in your store they see ONLY YOUR ITEMS.
acread

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking at the product page in your store site all you will see is your items (talking about the 10 items that show up at the buttom of the page).

If you are looking at items in Google Product Search and arrive to the product page from there you will see your other products.

If you are looking at eCrater's homepage by just opening Categories and reaching products that way, you will see your other products at the bottom of the product pages.

If you use the search at eCrater's homepage, then you get bunch of search results. If you click on one of the products, then you may see the other products that were in the search result appear at the bottom of the product page. This is so you won't have to go back to the search page but just move on from the products at the bottom (or at least that is the reasoning I came up with).

As far as I can tell that is the only case when others products appear in your product pages. Some stated they see other people's product if they arrive from a Google Product Search, I have done the same search and am not seing that. So it may be a browser thing. Things appear slightly different with FireFox than with IE where eCrater is concerned, so it is not so much of a stretch to assume that.

Also if others stuff is appearing in your products, don't forget your's will be appearing in theirs as well. If you put stuff into a basket at eCrater from different sellers, each gets their portion of the order. So it is not a loss actually.

And the seller site link always appears at the page at eCrater's home. So there is a way for customer to go to your store if they want to.
Strikingedeals

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its like e**y cross -gallery feature and I like it.

I hope ecrater will add a opt out feature for those who don't like it in future.
TotallyKids

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like the idea of seeing others items. You have a chose to stay on the page you landed on, go to that sellers store or move on to one of the featured products.I bought an item that way, I would have never done so otherwise. I think in the long run, it helps everyone. Smile
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate it. When it was only my items, I loved it and had some very large multiple orders in a very short amount of time. Once they changed to items from other sellers, that stopped. I find counterfeit items, crap, items with blurry photos, and items that are not really relevant to my listing.

I am not the only vintage seller here who insists on quality products. I am probably not the best, but when someone is on one of my items I deserve first dibs at selling them another item.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, links to other stores means fewer orders from the main site (for the seller with the item the shopper was originally searching for).
lindasbuttonsandbeads

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original complaint was the way it is displayed. Since the information about the original seller is shown BELOW the gallery of other items it appeared to be that sellers items (at first) and I was surprised to find I had left that sellers store.

That turned me off. I did hit the back button and figured out how to view the rest of the original sellers other items but I find this a very very POOR practice and one that has to hurt sellers who offer more similar items and depend on multi-item orders. jmo
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lindasbuttonsandbeads wrote:
Since the information about the original seller is shown BELOW the gallery of other items it appeared to be that sellers items (at first) and I was surprised to find I had left that sellers store.

You were never in that seller's store. You were at www.ecrater.com. Ecrater has always been set up as a site for free storefronts which each seller is expected to promote and drive the customers to.

When the big auction site made a round of particulary ghastly changes and fee increases, small sellers started fleeing and looking for another site that was the same but still cheap and Ecrater sounded good because it was free. Of course they didn't realize that it wasn't the same thing! Either in response to their complaints or maybe in response to something from Google (or maybe just because somebody somewhere thought it was a good idea), Ecrater started fiddling with the main site and trying to make it more like a marketplace, including the other sellers' cross-promotion. But it was never really done right (imho) and was never really necessary because that isn't what Ecrater was set up to be.

I rarely ever go to www.ecrater.com and I would NEVER send a buyer there. People are constantly coming to the forum and complaining that they can't find their items at www.ecrater.com and I just scratch my head because I can't figure out why they are looking there. My wish would be that www.ecrater.com was simply the page for sellers to set up a store, not for shopping.

If you are wanting to open your own free store, then Ecrater is the place to come. But you've got to promote your own store like the dickens; there are some good threads about it to read!

Good luck and I hope you decide that Ecrater will work for you! Very Happy
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I knew it was fairly new because it wasn't there when I bought some baby clothes for my granddaughter last year.

Not sure if you meant ecrater was fairly new or seeing the other seller's items was new. So just in case, ecrater has been around for several years and has been booming, in my opinion, for the last year.

Seeing the other seller's items if you come in through the main ecrater portal is fairly new, but by marketing ONLY your store, YOUR customers coming directly to your store will never see this. On ecrater, even though we get regular uploads to Google, we still need to promote and market our own stores like crazy, and ALL that promotion should lead people directly do your own store and so they other seller's items will be completely bypassed, in most events.
lindasbuttonsandbeads

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant displaying other sellers items was fairly new.

And, yes, I knew I was not in that sellers store. But, I still say they should show YOUR other items if they are going to show any.

I don't like the fact I now have to click to see the rest of the description since that space is used to show other sellers items.

And, a site that doesn't listen to sellers sounds to much like the one I left for my comfort.

Anyway, thank you all for your answers and help.
acread

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, a site that doesn't listen to sellers sounds to much like the one I left for my comfort.

You make one comment and just because thisngs haven't changed/implemented the next day you arrive at the result that this site does not listen to sellers?

Stuff gets implemented here all the time (just look at the Suggestions especially the older ones and you will see). Granted not every single suggestion is accepted (and who ever accepts every single suggestion made to them. Do you take and act accordingly any time anyone gives you advice? I bet you don't. That doesn't mean you never listen to anyone does it?), but a lot of suggestions get added or implemented.

It takes time to design and write programing. It is not instantaneous. So some of it takes time.

But as it says on eCrater's homepage this is a "free" marketplace. You are free to use it or not. And since you haven't listed a thing or made any other changes I am assuming you chose "not".
poopsheet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, yes, I knew I was not in that sellers store. But, I still say they should show YOUR other items if they are going to show any.

I don't like the fact I now have to click to see the rest of the description since that space is used to show other sellers items.

I agree with the first two points above. As for the third, if you're talking about how much sellers have complained about those two aspects yet they remain then I think you have a fine point. But, as you might hear chanted around here, at least it's free...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: