eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Technical Issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> News & System Status
View previous topic :: View next topic  
netgalleries

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Hit Counter Reply with quote

Did the hit count order sort function ever get fixed? That was such a great feature and I can't understand why ecrater would not want sellers to know how well their listings were working. Can anyone explain to me why ecrater decided to prevent sellers from seeing this information anymore?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
acread

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hit Counter Reply with quote

netgalleries wrote:
Did the hit count order sort function ever get fixed? That was such a great feature and I can't understand why ecrater would not want sellers to know how well their listings were working. Can anyone explain to me why ecrater decided to prevent sellers from seeing this information anymore?

There is an alternative system you can use to do exactly that and many more. Open a Google Analytics account and put your UA# in your Options (and enable Google Analytics). That will help you collect and evaluate all kinds of traffic info on your site. Not just hit numbers, source of traffic, keywords used to reach your site, time spent on your site, entry and exit pages, return visitor info, geographic location of your viewers, etc etc. There will be a ton of useful info. You can view it in any time interval you like. You can compare to past time intervals. You won't use the data at the end of the month.

Since eCrater allows such system to work work with eCrater stores the hit counter order is a bit meaningless. You can do the same in Google Analytics and much more.
zickit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hit Counter Reply with quote

netgalleries wrote:

It's not broken. It's just not sortable no more.
I miss it too. and GA isn't the same. I just want a simple sort to see what is not getting hits, can't do that with GA not even close.

You can still see your hits -- they are there next to each item. You just can not sort them.
netgalleries

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: SORTING BY HIT COUNTS Reply with quote

Sorting by hit counts was a great feature as it allowed me to tell what direction to concentrate my sales on. Please bring it back!!!
Periwinkles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all want it returned but so far it hasn't happened. Hopefully, admin will see our pleas and return it. Please - pretty please Very Happy
netgalleries

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Hit Count Sorting Reply with quote

I am just amazed that ecrater would have taken such a great tool away from its sellers. I've tried to get the same information from GA but it is much harder and you have to sort through layer after layer of information to try and extract the simple information that ecrater used to make available. There must be some reason why ecrater doesn't want to help its sellers with this function anymore. I hate to be a pessimist, but it probably has something to do with money. Google is probably paying a lot of money for ecrater to discontinue the service so that sellers will be forced to use GA.
acread

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hit Count Sorting Reply with quote

netgalleries wrote:
I've tried to get the same information from GA but it is much harder and you have to sort through layer after layer of information to try and extract the simple information that ecrater used to make available.

1. Open your Google Analytics account
2. click on "view report" link next to your profile for your eCrater store
3. On the top left of the page that opens click on "Content" (opens dropdown of sorts)
4. Click on "content by title" under "Content"
5. The page that opens is already arranged by "Page Views" (aka hit number). If not click on "Page Views" heading on the table to arrange them ascending or descending (one click for one and two clicks for the other). Can do the same with other headings on the table if you need to. Also you can click on the date range at the top right and select the date range you want to view.

I don't know, 5 steps don't seem all that complicated to me.
Quote:
There must be some reason why ecrater doesn't want to help its sellers with this function anymore.

I would appreciate it if you don't accuse eCrater of not wanting to help sellers. There are always good reasons for what eCrater does. Not all of it is to be shared freely at the forum. But eCrater always considers the sellers and what is most beneficial to them. In this case this feature was sacrificed for other benefits. But I will not go into the details. That is not my position.
Quote:
I hate to be a pessimist, but it probably has something to do with money. Google is probably paying a lot of money for ecrater to discontinue the service so that sellers will be forced to use GA.

And I also resent the implication of calling eCrater a cheap product and putting down all the wonderful features it includes just because the site is shared with you without asking for a penny.
netgalleries

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Hit count sorting reply Reply with quote

I don't know who called ecrater "a cheap product", I certainly didn't. I only expressed what the same sentiments are that many other users are feeling about a great feature being taken away. I am as greatful for ecrater as anyone else. I just hate to see them do a "downgrade" of a wonderful service instead of an "updgrade".

As for QA, yes I am familiar with that 5 step process but unfortunately it often only shows page references and not item descriptions in the results and one has to open up each page to see what item it is referring to. You also hit it on the head when you described it as a "5 step process". That's still 4 more steps then the former method ecrater provided.
acread

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hit count sorting reply Reply with quote

netgalleries wrote:
As for QA, yes I am familiar with that 5 step process but unfortunately it often only shows page references and not item descriptions in the results and one has to open up each page to see what item it is referring to.

What I described above is on "content by title" report. All product names are on the list. Don't tell me you don't recognize your items by their names.

Oh and if you click the "Add to Dashboard" button at the top of the page when you open the "Content by Title" table, the next time you log in you will not have to do steps 2 and 3. The table will be displayed as a fifth item on the Dashboard page. You click on "view report" to access the table. So that reduces the whole thing to 4 steps.
Quote:
You also hit it on the head when you described it as a "5 step process". That's still 4 more steps then the former method ecrater provided.

Seriously. That is your complaint? That you need to click one extra link?

And you are discarding that you have access to much longer interval of data (ecrater hits reset every month. You don't get to look at previous stuff or compare previous years or look at shorter intervals, or the interval of your choice. All you have at the hit counter (and ever did) is since the beginning of the month. You can set your GA account to view that same period. Or any other period you choose.)
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too miss the sort by hits and google analytics don't even come close to for this purpose.

Maybe for small stores it might but my GA never shows all the items in my store.

wITH The hits I could easily adjust titles, descriptions etc until that item started getting hits.

oh well it's not coming back so you got to just figure out how to live without it.
acread

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is not coming back. And if it is it is not any time soon.

You think GA is not good enough, I disagree. If you know how to look for things, it works just fine. If you select long enough a time period you would see a hit on all items (if nothing when you listed the item you probably clicked on it to look at it.) And you can look at the bottom of the barrel so to speak copy title, open a second tab with your store in Products, paste in search and there you go edit all you want.

It may be not the shortest but it is doable. A will and a way and all that...

For myself, I just scroll down the pages in Products. It's good to scan all items from time to time. If anything is red flaged or anything came unhidden what not by accident at least you will get to see it. If you just keep using the hit counter to sort you may not run into the issues that are hidden in the back pages (an item can be popular but still be have problems).
shebang

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I never seen this feature before so I am not missing it,but thanks acread for explaining something new to me with GA.
netgalleries

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Hit sort reply Reply with quote

Thank you for explaining the way to make GA work more efficiently. I followed your instructions and was able to get the page titles to appear, which is very helpful.

You are very correct that I can get the same information I used to get on GA (except for the matching picture to help identify the item), and even more information using GA vs. the ecrater hit sort button. I will have to use the GA method from now on, but I still miss the ease of the quick visual feel that ecrater used to provide and hope that they will bring it back.
acread

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shebang wrote:
I guess I never seen this feature before so I am not missing it,but thanks acread for explaining something new to me with GA.

no problem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> News & System Status
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: