eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

VHS video tapes - worth listing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comicscardsandmore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: VHS video tapes - worth listing? Reply with quote

I have several hundred VHS video tapes and I'm debating on whether to list them or not - is it worth the time?
I figure I'll price them at $2.00 each and provide two pictures - box front and back. That will be a LOT of work.
Has anyone had any real success selling VHS tapes? I know on Craigslist, people practically give them away, so is it a waste of effort trying to sell them?
Some feedback would be great - thanks!
Aaron
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
PrettyJewelryThings

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had about 100 that I was trying to sell and finally gave up and donated them to the church rummage sale. It's your call I guess. Good luck.
henhousegiftsandcollectibles

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I would try a few and see what happens Smile
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd sort out the rarest and the most popular at the time and try a few of those first. People do list them and evidently there are still people who play them.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot depends on whether they're on DVD yet or not.
Periwinkles

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some listed in one of my stores. I know my player plays both and I think a lot of people collect them. I have sold a few.
IShopHere

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Action movies and so forth I doubt would sell all that well.. BUT, perhaps older childrens movies and TV shows?
I don't watch VHS anymore, but I collect 80's toys. I buy the occasional 80's care bear VHS or 80's Strawberry Shortcake VHS and so on..
I like having one just like the copy I picked out at the video rental place as a kid..
My husband has most of the Transformers ones..
I'm not that wild about 80's Disney, but if I come across one in the old style case I would probably pick them up too.. lol
JefferysJunction

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does'nt cost a thing to add a VHS catagory to your store. I buy VHS movies myself becouse my VHS player still works well and VHS tapes are usually bargain priced!
thewrightbiz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VHS video tapes - worth listing? Reply with quote

comicscardsandmore wrote:
I have several hundred VHS video tapes and I'm debating on whether to list them or not - is it worth the time?
I figure I'll price them at $2.00 each and provide two pictures - box front and back. That will be a LOT of work.
Has anyone had any real success selling VHS tapes? I know on Craigslist, people practically give them away, so is it a waste of effort trying to sell them?
Some feedback would be great - thanks!
Aaron

I do yard sales and VHS tapes are selling for 50c. Unless they are VINTAGE, HARD TO FIND, it's not worth trying to sell them. Take them to a yard sale and sell them there.
dinosaurtoyvault

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few movies and TV shows that aren't on DVD yet, and those often can go for a lot of money, but 99% of stuff is junk. Music acts on tape sometimes do better too for some reason.

One option is to take them to a Half Price books or a used media store if you have one in your area. You get almost peanuts for them at place like that, but it's better than nothing.
animalsbyamanda

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try selling a few of them to see what happens. I think they are worth selling because there's some people who still like getting VHS (some maybe only for collection purposes). I think you'd be okay taking a picture of just the front of the VHS to save you a bit of time. I think they are worth trying to sell...unless you want to donate them or keep them for yourself which is fine too.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check to see what they are selling for on Amazon. If you find any for say $5 or more as a minimum sale price then go ahead and list for $5 Or mathc the minimum Amazon price or go slightly below but no point listing something for $2 that others are getting $10-15 ,with the pictures you mentioned. You may have some gems. You just have to do some research for them. I wouldn't mind a good condition Andromeda Strain if you have a cheap copy of that. Hubby has worn his out.
acread

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic is about 2 months old. The OP already listed 21 VHS tapes in his store.

But I would recommed him removing the Cash on Delivery (COD) as a payment method. That is going to require use of additional shipping service if someone other than his immediate vicinity buy it (which is extremely likely). The service is costly. And you pay for it on top of the postage. It also is not in cash but in checks. And takes a very long time to search the senders hand. See: http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=3756
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: