eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Just a rant / temper tantrum!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Just a rant / temper tantrum! Reply with quote

I'm not a computer programmer so it's hard to know how a programmer's mind works....

Can someone explain to me the thinking behind those "fly-out" menus on web pages, where you just innocently run your mouse over some magic spot while heading for a click, and suddenly this menu flies out and completely covers up the page you were working on? If your timing is good, you can actually end up clicking something on the stupid menu instead of what you wanted.

I first noticed it on Ebay, but now I'm running into it more and more often. Good planning, annoy your users and keep them from using your site--that'll make them want to come back! Evil or Very Mad It just seems so counter-productive to irritate your visitors.

Sorry, rant over now! Thanks for letting me shoot off some steam!!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Just a rant / temper tantrum! Reply with quote

wtcollectibles wrote:
Can someone explain to me the thinking behind those "fly-out" menus on web pages, where you just innocently run your mouse over some magic spot while heading for a click, and suddenly this menu flies out and completely covers up the page you were working on? If your timing is good, you can actually end up clicking something on the stupid menu instead of what you wanted.

I first noticed it on Ebay, but now I'm running into it more and more often. Good planning, annoy your users and keep them from using your site--that'll make them want to come back! Evil or Very Mad It just seems so counter-productive to irritate your visitors.

Sorry, rant over now! Thanks for letting me shoot off some steam!!

I agree - it is very irritating. I also noticed it on Feebay Twisted Evil . Since I have dial-up internet, the pause it takes is a little longer before I can get the box to disappear. What a pain!

Don't know the anwer to your question as to "Why".

Thanks for sharing the rant! I feel better now too!

VintageMoonbeams
Periwinkles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are on everything. I like to look at news and entertainment articles online and you can't even read it because every time you move your mouse there is another popup box. Irritating is really not a strong enough word for my feelings. Mad
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree and it has recently gotten a whole lot worse. It's Greed. Those companies have decided the money from the annoying drop down ads is more important than their followers or customers.

I've had to shut my computer completely down a few times and reboot to get rid of them. If you just try to put the computer to sleep, the ad will keep dancing and the computer won't sleep.

Blocking pop-ups doesn't help because by blocking pop-ups you block half the internet.
kjscreations

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bugs me at go daddy too! Move your mouse just a bit off & you are off to a page you don't want. They drive me nuts!
Comics-Emporium

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjscreations wrote:
That bugs me at go daddy too! Move your mouse just a bit off & you are off to a page you don't want. They drive me nuts!

Same Here. I get some of those and instantly I'm looking for the little X to get rid of it, and sometimes its hard to find. They cover it up pretty good.
acread

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens in my yahoo account. Whenever I move my mouse to the tab the dropdown thumbles, then I have to hover the mouse over arrow so it would roll back up. Really annoying. Like the pages guts are coming loose.
antiques-collectibles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Blocking pop-ups doesn't help because by blocking pop-ups you block half the internet.

Add me to the "hate the mouseover club." I think the reason these are becoming so popular with advertisers is because everyone enabled pop-up blockers so we didn't have to deal with that nonsense. This is just another way around it and will exist until someone finds a way to block them, too. BTW, I don't mind blocking half the internet. The part that interests me has no advertising of this type.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

A mouseover is totally different then a pop up.
I think so many sites have gone to using the mouseover for 2 reason.
#1 neatness of the page - too many or too long of menus makes it look ugly
#2 Pop Up blockers stop too many users from seeing the menus that pop up so they went to this mouseover - No one has created a no view of mouse overs YET, lol

I just wish the mouseovers were not so touchy. I hate when they disappear just as I wanted to click!
2daSource

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's my pop-up blocker or my OS, but I don't get those mouse over screens.

Instead, I get a notice at the top of my screen that certain information is being blocked and if I want to see it, to click at the designated spot.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New computers are so sensitive. The mouse flies all over the place and if I am writing it will suddenly be 2 paragraphs above typing in the middle of a sentence or it has flown to the upper corner x and closes the page or opens a new page or 2 or 3. I thought there should be a way to adjust the mouse and took it back to the store.

The technician looked at it and said it was the way they were designed and with no adjustment. The only way around it if you want to remain on a page for a while without scrolling at all, you can click Function and F9 and turn it off and on.[/img] <<< That img is an example of my dancing mouse. One of about 20 that occurred in this brief note. I left that one in as an example.
tomorriscat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad i'm not the only one annoyed with those pop up, fly over, mouse over thingies.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: