eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Shipping
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simplygifts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Shipping Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but I need some help. Maybe, I'm missing something. But I still can't figure out how to do my shipping. I have looked at other sites. I have read articles, but they've just confussed me. What is the best way for me? If anyone else is selling from SMC and have set up a site, please, please tell me how you did your shipping.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
zickit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IS SMC the drop ship company that charges shipping based on the total cost of the order - not weight related at all?
simplygifts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Shipping Help Reply with quote

Yes. They don't have any weights to go on just zoning. Example: up to $30 is $10 shipping. But over $30 they go into the percent of your shipping zone.
acread

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by shipping zone? Is it like USPS shipping zones?

So if you have more than $30 order, someone in next state gets charged less shipping than someone accross the country from you (or more like the warehouse)? Are you talking about item coming to you or being directly shipped to the customer. They send it to the customer, right (I thought that's what dropshipping was. You seller take the order and the company keeps the product and mails to the customer when you send the info)?

If that is the case there is no way to enter different shipping values the same order weight, unless you are using the USPS calculated shipping. And that calculates shipping based on weight and their shipping zones (not based on where your warehouse is located).

You can set things up assuming the highest amount you may need to pay for (like the biggest distance from you in US), then when there is an order if it is too high compared to the shipping that needs to be charged, give partial refund for the shipping access. But that may be tough to do since the stuff you sell is very common and you have a lot of competition selling the same stuff. Or you can assume a medium distance and charge for that. And on some longer distances you can eat the difference and on shorter ones you'll have some access.

If you mean something else please give more details.
simplygifts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: shipping charges Reply with quote

It's getting to seem that I might not get to use ecrater! Here it is: yes, you've got it. Shipping from the warehouse the U.S. is divided into zones (something like time zones). Each zone has a % based shipping. After $30 the customer total purchase is multiplied by their zone and that is the shipping. Example if they spent $12 it is $10 to ship. If it is $40 then it's 12 x 40= (12% x $40).
acread

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: shipping charges Reply with quote

simplygifts wrote:
It's getting to seem that I might not get to use ecrater! Here it is: yes, you've got it. Shipping from the warehouse the U.S. is divided into zones (something like time zones). Each zone has a % based shipping. After $30 the customer total purchase is multiplied by their zone and that is the shipping. Example if they spent $12 it is $10 to ship. If it is $40 then it's 12 x 40= (12% x $40).

Where is the time zone thing in that example?

That is if one person ordering it in the first zone what do they get charged as opposed to another person in the next zone. For the same price item (above $30). I need some I idea here about what the range of variation you have on shipping costs.

Can you post the percentages with zone?

How many zones are there?
simplygifts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Sorry Reply with quote

Each zone is a differnt percentage price in shipping. The western part of the US is 17% shipping times total order price. From Montana to North Dakota and down these states are charged 21%. From Minnesota to Wisconsin and down it's 25%. From Michigan to Maine, down to Alabama and Florida it's 27%. Now, take a deep breath.
acread

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow 10% difference is quite a bit. If they buy a $30 item it will be $3 difference between someon on the west coast as someone on the east coast. If they buy a $200 item it is $20.

But still you can set up your shipping matrix to charge the 27% of the shipping cost and refund the excess it charges on shipping on the other states.

Are the percentages constant regardless of the amount over $30? I mean if you have someone on East coast put an order does their order total always multiplied by 27% or is it 27% until $50, then it is 25% between $50-$100, etc. See what I mean?

If it is always the same percentage you can just multiply your item price with the highest percentage and then enter that number as "Fixed Shipping to" value and refund the excess after the payment if there is any.

If you have different percentages with higher prices then you'll need to set up the shipping matrix to handle that.

But I see no way to charge exactly what you want from the customer, with the current shipping options available at eCrater.

You can make aproximations that may work reasonably.
simplygifts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: shipping Reply with quote

These are the percentages for $30 and over. Orders over $500 is cheaper. 7%, 10%, 11% and 13%.
acread

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the following example: http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=16049 (maybe you can use something similar with different numbers. I don't know how likely you are to have any order above $500. If it is worth setting up the shipping matrix or not.)
simplygifts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.
simplygifts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Shipping Reply with quote

Can I do shipping from the category of:
up to $99 is $10 shipping.
$100 and over is 10% of total puchase?
simplygifts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: I Apologize. Reply with quote

I apologize to those in the forum for starting a new topic on the same subject. I didn't mean to go against the rules. I just wasn't thinking, my mind was occupied on something else.
acread

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't come up with shipping schemes at the drop of a hat. I have to think about them. That is why I didn't answer. If I can think of something suitable I would post it.

In the mean time I am sure if anyone else can figure out something that would work, they would post. just be a bit patient.
simplygifts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Okay. Reply with quote

I'm sorry, if you thought that I was rushing you or anyone for an answer, I just thought there may be an additional question that you had before answering me. I do appreciate all the help and advice that you have spent time giving me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: