eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Shipping: large box but weighs only 2-4 pounds, any ideas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gardenfun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Shipping: large box but weighs only 2-4 pounds, any ideas? Reply with quote

I need to pack my natural habitat branch bird feeders in a box that measures 24X24X24", and the weight is only 2-4 pounds. They are too big for USPS and UPS does not have a calculator. I don't want customers to pay more than needed for shipping, so I don't want to charge a flat rate.
Is my only option to have each customer send me an email on each order, and then go to the UPS page to figure it?
I've considered cutting the branches down to fit in a smaller box, but they will loose the natural habitat appeal.
Please help.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
cosmicray

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

24" x 24" x 24" calculates out to 8 cubic-feet.

USPS begins charging dimensional rates (for Priority Mail) above 1 cubic-foot. From what I have heard (never used them tho) UPS charges dimensional rates above 3 cubic-feet. So no matter which way you ship, you may be subject to very large shipping charges.

For USPS Parcel Post, your "length + girth" (24" + 96" = 120") pushes you into the "Oversized" price rating ($61.80 - $107.16, depending on zone).

My suggestion is to find a box that is very close to the smallest actual size needed. Shipping a box with lots of stuffing/air is going to cost someone quite a bit of money.
TotallyKids

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try calling UPS and FedEx and ask them for a shipping estimate from your zip code to the farthest zip code away from you. Give them weight and box dimensions. My guess is you'll be in the $25 range.
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping: large box but weighs only 2-4 pounds, any idea Reply with quote

gardenfun wrote:
I need to pack my natural habitat branch bird feeders in a box that measures 24X24X24", and the weight is only 2-4 pounds. They are too big for USPS

Did you read the USPS regulations for Balloon Price and Dimensional Weight for Priority Mail and Balloon Price and Oversized Price for Parcel Post? These regulations cover oversized boxes, depending on zone, as you're describing.

gardenfun wrote:
and UPS does not have a calculator.

Yes, it does. Go to ups.com ... then go to Shipping in the top menu bar ... then go to Calculate Time and Cost in the pulldown menu. UPS has roughly the same type of dimensional weight calculation as USPS.

gardenfun wrote:
Is my only option to have each customer send me an email on each order, and then go to the UPS page to figure it?

This is what I did for shipping large baskets (and a few other items), which presented the same problem. I figured the highest rate (to the farthest zone) for both Priority Mail and Parcel Post and entered a reasonable figure as the fixed shipping price. If I could send the box Priority for under my fixed rate, I did. If not, I sent it Parcel Post. In either case, I charged a partial amt in Google Checkout as appropriate if the actual shipping cost was much less than the shipping quoted.
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FedEx home delivery for a 24 x 24 x 24 package is $67.61 from east coast to west coast. The weight is irrelevant 2,3,4 pounds would all be the same rate.

USPS for same box.....$107.16!!

Last edited by jigsaw-puzzle-palooza on Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
spacestationvideogames

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: UPS Reply with quote

UPS/FED EX may be the way to go here. Normally their prices are ridiculious for small packages, but for the bigger ones they make up for it. If your sales take of dramatically, UPS and Fed Ex will start to give you discounts the more you use them. Of course you need an account with them and your sales volume has to be very high.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I know why I only sell small items.
kjscreations

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A funny story.... way back I sold one of those large Bouncy horses. It was old & had sat outside for years. Well... I had to send within the measurement requirements....
I took it all apart & wrapped cardboard & probably used 2 rolls of tape... it was the most AWFUL looking package & when I brought it to PO.. rust from the tubes was spilling out the corners. BUT I got the measurements to the exact max. You should have seen the clerks eyes when I brought it in.

OH... one more... My grandmother was a PO person (in tiny town IN her house)... my grandfather sold Christmas trees & he was really tall (6-6)
My grandma Twisted the tree into one of his old pantlegs & shipped 2 of them from MN to colorado. The measurement were fine. Also OUR PO delivery guy said "I've never asked this before but I gotta know what's in these" Laughing Laughing Laughing
gardenfun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Thank you everyone! Reply with quote

Thank you for all the great information. I love the stories about the old bouncy horse and Christmas trees! Laughing
I'll check ups.com again. And give my branches a pruning!
Thank you, and take my advise & try to stick to small stuff!
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft doesn't sound all that huge to me. I've sent wine cartons filled with items to bulk buyers more than once using USPS. I would think those measurements would total 2x2x2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: