eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

New changes to our store

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bdskeystonecorner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: New changes to our store Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if someone can look at our store and tell us what you think. We have had alot of changes we had to do to make it look better. When we first started out, everything was in CAPS and we found out from others that Google and potential customers did not like anything in all caps. It took awhile to do but we will do anything we need to do to make people happy to be in our store.
We are not the computer whizzes that others may be but we sure try. Everyone on here have been great giving answers to anything and i do mean anything.
Thank you very much!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your logo is still hard to read.
Another thing to consider since your URL is bdskeystonecorner
use that as your logo NO punctuation. IF customers try to put b & d's keystone corner in the URL they will never find you, Not sure if they could even find you in google that way or not.

Home Page text -
Quote:
We sell quality merchandise

What merchandise? The answer will be the same word that shoppers will be searching. Pack your text pages with key words. You want your store found, right? They can't find your store if you don't use the words they will be searching.

ABOUT Page - a bit too personal for me. I much rather read about your store, how you got started in the business of collectibles or at least in the online selling business. Again, use words that shopper use to search for products.

TERMS Page ..
Quote:
If you would like to know about a shipping price on a certain item before you place your order just email us with your zip code & we will get back to you with the cost.

hhhmmm The shipping cost needs to be on the item because otherwise the buyer is going to pay what is on the order ... zero or whatever you have there.
Right now the items I see on Google Checkout all say Free shipping
Did you just change your shipping to USPS Calculator?

What about your terms? Return Policy, Shipping Policy, etc etc
THis info belongs here NOT in your FAQ's. Well it can be there too but you really need it here.

CATEGORIES --
Why do you have 7 + different collectible categories?
either remove the word collectible
OR
Make the Collectible category a main category then put
ANGELS (3)
ANTIQUES (5)
ART & ART GLASS (3)
AVON (4)
BOYD'S BEAR (1)
CARNIVAL GLASS (5)
COLLECTIBLE GLASS (7)
COLLECTIBLES (25)
COLLECTOR BANKS (2)
COLLECTOR BELLS (2)
COLLECTOR PLATES (20)
COLLECTOR PORCELAIN CHINA (5)
COLLECTOR TINS (0)
CRYSTAL (3)
DOLLS/COLLECTOR DOLLS (3)
FENTON (35)
HARLEY DAVIDSON (0)
HESS TRUCKS (2)
HOME & GARDEN (5)
JEANNETTE GLASS (1)
LEFTON (3)
LONGABERGER (1)
NASCAR (Cool
ORIENTAL/ASIAN (1)
PFALTZGRAFF (3)
SILVER/SILVERPLATE (2)
TOYS (5)
VASES (14)
ALL as sub categories under COllectibles -- because they are all collected by someone - aren't they?

Looking at ... http://bdskeystonecorner.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=6817236

Your Title - Boyd's Bear Joyann Hugsbeary
Your Description -
We are pleased to offer this very sweet young lady who is sporting a multicolor ribbon bow around her neck and a pink heart with the word Mom on her left paw pad. Her arms and legs are jointed and her head moves so that she can be posed in so many ways. She is from The Special Occasion Edition, approximately 14 inches tall, has blue eyes, and comes with a stand. This is from my personal collection. Smoke and pet free home. Excellent Condition.

SUGGESTION for Title - Boyd's Teddy Bear for Mom Joyann Hugsbeary

Your description never ones mentions that it is a bear. It doesn't say anything about the color or that is's a shaggy soft chenille bear. You mention that it's a "Special Occasion Edition" but not the fact it's a 2001 Special Occasion Edition, retired in 2002.
What about the hangtags? there? not there?
What about a tush tag? there? not there?

http://bdskeystonecorner.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=6817252
Those pics are too tiny.

http://bdskeystonecorner.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=6817980
No mention of the size of this shirt
viewfinders

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally agree with bigTall so no sense repeating it.

Look at your list of categories this way. The only people who see that page are those who are in your store.

People who are looking for a specific item, say a Boyd's Bear will enter that in the search line but there are others who are just looking for an idea for a gift etc and don't know exactly what they want. Those categories are for them.

Making them too item specific will drive them away because they might consider glass and crystal the same thing and see one but not the other. I would combine some of the categories into one.

For instance: toys could contain Hess trucks, Boyd's bears, dolls, and whatever is in the category for toys. Instead of having four categories each with just a few items, have a category called Toys/dolls/plush/games and move all those items into the new category.

As is BoydsBears is at the top, Toys are way at the bottom of the list. I don't think most buyers have the patience to keep hopping back and forth to click on a new category. The same with glass/crystal and china/porcelain.

If you have just started the store and will be loading hundreds of items soon, then more specific categories are needed but for the number of items you have in each category now, they are not a good idea.

Here is an example from one of my own stores where Vintage jewelry is one of my root categories. I sell a lot of jewelry so I have it broken down into necklace, bracelet, brooch, earrings. Recently I realized I had too many earrings and clips, pierced and screw-on should be separate because if your ears aren't pierced you don't want to wade through pages of pierced earrings looking for screw ons. So I subdivided them. Now you can click on earrings or just the kind you need.

I really think you should scrap the about page and start over again. People don't really care whether you are happily married or not and talking about having trouble making ends meet is not good advertising for your store. It conjures up visions of you and hubby dumpster diving for food and treasures. Lots of people scavange for some of the items they sell but its best not to advertise the fact or hint in any way that you are anything but a successful online business. Reality is one thing. Reminding people of it is another.
jazgifts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the others. I think the main problem for newcomers is they think this is similiar to ebay. Ecrater is nothing like ebay. Think of this as having your own retail store. You have to advertise and make your store presentable! First of all, customers don't want to hear about your personal life. Secondly, they want to be able to purchase an item at a set price with no surprises. Third, they want to be able to see exactly what they're getting...this includes accurate and viewable pictures with good descriptions. And lastly, most important, customers do not want unclear policies.
bdskeystonecorner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Thank you for your suggestions. I guess there is still alot I need to learn and will work to adjust this. I think you are right about alot of it but being not as savvy as others it will take me a little more time. I do agree about the categories though. I just need to figure out and look around on here to learn how to make sub categories. Thank you alot, I really do appreciate your thoughts, even know I was slammed,LOL but it is all good. Smile
bdskeystonecorner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well whatta ya know! I found out what to do on the sub categories, Thank you all!! Love this place!!
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE understand we are all just attempting to help you
bdskeystonecorner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know that. I wanted someone to be honest with me. Thank you! Very Happy
bdskeystonecorner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to Thank all of you that have helped me through getting my store together. I followed through with your suggestions and created a new banner and the categories. I am still tweaking it some more but with your ideas it looks so much better and professional. Very Happy
zickit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the new banner.

Categories - in my opinion still need help.
You should have CLothing as a main category - then
a sub for Boys and then a sub under that for pants - etc
a sub for Girls and then a sub under that for dresses - etc
a sub for WOMENS and then a sub under that for outwear - etc
a Sub for Mens

REMEMBER you really want everything in the sub categories NOT your main category. OR dont' have the sub categories at all.
Right now you have 102 under the main category of Collectibles but only 83 in the sub categories which means you have 19 that are in the main category and most likely won't be seen by shoppers looking at your categories.
bdskeystonecorner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Know, I was looking at that myself, sounds like a good idea about the clothing, just have to look into the rest. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: