eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

JUST FOR FUN ROSTER WHY YOU LEFT EBAY OR CLOSED EBAY STORE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LazyB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: JUST FOR FUN ROSTER WHY YOU LEFT EBAY OR CLOSED EBAY STORE Reply with quote

We Very Happy Joined ecrater in August 2006 and Closed our ebay store in September. Reason - Ebay Twisted Evil ( Egreed ) fees got too Evil or Very Mad high. Very Happy Glad we found ecrater. This is a lot more Very Happy fun. The More Razz the Merrier. Thanks Ecrater Wink So Just for fun - Reply if you left ebay or closed your ebay store and any Comments. Egreed Twisted Evil Watch this thread grow. Shocked

Last edited by LazyB on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
kjscreations

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.... store fees really bugged me. i still do really well with auctions & fixed pricing but I do more handcrafted things so i list some of the same things here as I auction on ebay...
I like ecrater better than the ebay store.... cuz I can keep things listed whether or not "it's in season".
only1way2sell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: I agree! Ebay sucks! Reply with quote

I agree with you guys on this one. Ebay fees are too high and not to mention the whole vero thing which I don't know if you know this...it is just another way the big companies can stop us little sellers from selling anything. You can checkout real ebay horror stories everywhere....don't know if you have had one of your auctions pulled because of vero...
livingoffthegrid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay has been ok for me so far but there are such massive holes in the system that it is only wise to diversify.Am expanding everywhere anyway but for Ebay to constantly raise fees and sellers have to explain? to customers why prices have gone up?X-reference my prices here and i can sell at 20% less because i dont have to charge for listing,FVF and image surcharges.
What Ebay needs is competition.If Ecrater is open source and becomes a challenger and major carrier for google checkout,Ebay will have to streamline and lower their burden taxes on sellers.Alot of internet e-commerce changes are coming-microsoft has announced it is entering the field and google checkout has been gaining ground over paypal but what i suggest other Ebay sellers to do is to start Ecrater stores and link through to here.Think what im going to do is start telling buyers-hey if you want my stuff for about 20% cheaper buy from me over on Ecrater-really as an Ebay seller its only in my best interest to create competition for Ebay.It will promote low prices for myself and my customers.
rebeccasbookden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me as one who finally closed my store. Higher and higher fees and less and less service. I was doing really well in the beginning until last spring. When the took stores out of search, they didn't return it to the way it was. I did extrememly well when stores were in search, but I did okay before that, too. So something changed afterward.

Ebay definitely needs competition to level the playing field. They feel like everyone will pay anything because they have the traffic. I really like eCrater so I hope it becomes a real competitor. Easy listing, no hassles.
wahm922

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply don't trust ebay!

I have 4 stores here on eCrater each offering something different Wink
luvtocraft

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have listings on ebay. But the fees are so bad I needed better way to sell to be able to keep prices reasonable.

http://luvtocraft.ecrater.com[/color]
2BOYSandTOYS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I closed my store a long while ago - before the last 2 fee hikes. For me, at that time - the fees made it hard to 'have fun'. I enjoyed ebaYing, both buying and selling for multi-years, but - many things have changed and made it 'unpleasant' for me.

As a seller, many of my items are less than $20. With that price point, the fees were 'cruel' - esp. if an item did not sell. I can remember when I first started - it was 'fun' to watch hits, bids, watchers for listed items. When it stopped being fun, and caused anxiety - I decided ... time to move on. I would sit and get bummed that there were no bids - and then get even more excited if it closed - due to fees.

As a buyer, when they brought stores in, then out - the search function changed. I also find so much key word spamming going on, that even when I search for a specific item, I get much more than desired - and finding things became more challenging. Of course, this may be just my perspective and also affected by life, business, etc.

So - leaving ebaY has been good for me. While I may not sell as many items in a measured timeframe, I do eventually sell items - and get to keep the profit...And I so agree - nice to have off-season items listed no matter the time of year! Some of the 'typical off-months' have been very good to me - for off-season products.

So - still have an account there, and still search for bargains and once in a great while list an item. But - not at all like before - buying or selling!! Very Happy Very Happy

Great topic!!
Solarcell7GuitarProShop

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I was Powerselling on eBay before I decided to close my store there. Same reason as all of you... the fees were becoming INSANE and eBay was not looking out for their seller's best interest any longer.

When they decided to take store listings out of the search results I couldn't find any reason to justify the un-godly HIGH fees they charge.

I remember listening to the Town Hall meeting just after they "killed" that search funtion. When Bill Cobb was asked "WHY did you stop store listings from showing in search results" his answer was that it "worked TOO WELL"! I knew at that point something was VERY "broken" at eBay.

I decided that if eBay was not going to stand by me why should I be doing such an outstanding job of representing them?

It's great to be up and running here at eCrater. I feel good knowing that eCrater is geared towards creating a viable, healthy selling arena. I'm proud to be here!

Brian/Solarcell7 Very Happy
cheries

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: New Here Reply with quote

Doing business here at ecrater has been great. Glad I made the move.
WELCOME!
www.cheries.ecrater.com
livingoffthegrid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i think it is a volume issue,is online selling a hobby or a job?
This is just customer base expansion for me as i want to be global and am looking to cover the planet with solar panels but i do see that the Ebay type experience would be an addicting and fun thing to do if they wouldnt try so hard to kill their core base(sellers) with fees.
What gets me about Ebay is that they are a digital company.They do not have hard product overhead.They have to have servers and T3,certificate expenses but the supercomputing array at Virginia Tech was built from 1,100 Apple XServes at a cost of 4.2 million.Drop in the bucket for Ebay if they used a third of that system and they wouldnt even need that much storage or processor speed. But still they raise prices on sellers with no real incentives.Just charge more and more for things that three to four years ago were free on the internet and for the above statements, highly doubt their serving costs havve risen all that sharply.Makes no sense to actually create the conditions to encorage competition and spawn entire other B2B systems to counteract their own.
Whatever,i guess fat cash cows eventually get their fat trimmed if they graze too long but it is just imperative that i keep prices down as reducing cost per Watt is absolutely critical to the faster infusion of solar into the greater mass market.That means that in secondary venues like Ebay,pretty much the last thing i need is fee increases because some SEO wants a larger yacht.All ive done for about the last 8 months is figuring out how i can get my product to customers at a lower price.That is not small as it is constant reevaluation of every single screw,component and silicon crystal(methaphoric) that goes into a module but it only makes good business sense and it really is how merch. marketing and capitalism works.Ebay better re-learn this or it is headed for a fall when other sites start denting their traffic monopoly.
LoloAndBebe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Hello~ Reply with quote

I just open a store~ So happy~ I always wanted to have a store to call my own and here it is~ *could not stop grinning the past 6 hours.

I am use to selling online but quite new with Ebay. My auctions on Ebay is doing well but I am very distress by the fees and the fact I have to sell my items at a higher price which is really unfair to my buyers.

Therefore it is such a relief to be here, no more weird unfriendly selling forms, worrying to death if I can make a profit and the fees, just happily selling whatever I love. I am blessed that this is a hobby and hence I can afford to wait for traffic to come here.

Meanwhile, truely this site is awesome. So easy to load, to post, to see.. I mean, I cannot ask for more.

Have a good day, all my new "neighbours"
buddyslighthouses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I closed my Ebay store in January. It was very elemental. Why should I pay an arm and a leg to have a store there, when I can have one here for free?

I do auctions on Ebay and use any contact I make with customers there, to draw them to my Ecrater store.
yellowrose

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: JUST FOR FUN ROSTER WHY YOU LEFT EBAY OR CLOSED EBAY STORE Reply with quote

I do not trust Ebay! Seen too much. Heard too much. Not to mention no CS and the high fees!
pages

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closed my store due to the Great Store Fee Hike of Feb 05. I kept listing occasionally, mostly as an advertising avenue for my other sites. When the Shoot Yourself in the Foot Teachers Manual policy came out, I resorted to only selling nutritionals there. Eventually it became more cost efficient to move on.

I was a regular there since January of 2002. Once I place my trust somewhere, it takes a LOT to move me. I'm a very loyal person. Five years of trust down the drain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: