eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Anyone feel the same way?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peaksislandsilverco

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Anyone feel the same way? Reply with quote

I have been working dead end jobs for my whole life. I know I have talent,music is in my blood,I just dont feel right doing what Im doing currently and know music is what I would like to do.

What do I do, pack up the fam and head to nashville, or continue to work these odd jobs untill I die.Anyone feel sorta the same way?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
wahm922

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what else I should be doing but sometimes I do feel like I'm not where I should be. Confused
tchgiftsandthings

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow your dreams while you're young and still can....
YourRainyDayBookStore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give up the day job! Wink
BargainBarn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Music in your blood Reply with quote

If you don't like what you do, you will never perform at your best level. Sure everyone wants to be a rock or country star, but very few make it that far. There are several areas in music one can find employment. If music is in your blood, then persue all the possibilities that music has to offer.
peaksislandsilverco

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Music in your blood Reply with quote

BargainBarn wrote:
If you don't like what you do, you will never perform at your best level. Sure everyone wants to be a rock or country star, but very few make it that far. There are several areas in music one can find employment. If music is in your blood, then persue all the possibilities that music has to offer.

I dont care to be a star, if it happens then it happens. I just wanna play, tour small venues. Just a thought
KryseeMac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could start out playing on open mike nights at different places. Goups usually have ads in the paper looking for differnt members...could try that and then get to play in your neighborhood bars until you get to know more what the music industry is like. You will always need that day job for a while.
BuzybeesHobbyHive

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who put together a band and is fairly successful locally (but didn't quit his day job). He started by making friends with other bands. When they found out he was good, they would direct business his way when they were booked up. He's been playing for 15 years or more and has made several CD's.
AnnesCozyAttic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad, but most need to have a job to pay the bills, but your dream can still be in the evening playing and entertaining. The public will let you know if you can make it, more and more will hire you to play if you believe in yourself. Very Happy Very Happy Selling on line isn't easy either, but we keep hoping some day -------
tdscollectablesonline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever thought about trying out for a play or a dinner theather? Perhaps if you find something that uses your musical talent during the evenings, it will help to make the day-to-day more bearable?

I know how you feel, I gave up my profession to tend to family matters. Now that I have the time to take my old job back up, the company closed that I worked for...and new jobs are next to impossible to find!!! Believe me, I've tried!!! Crying or Very sad

Now I sell items over the internet for myself and a few friends who need an extra income to help cover their bills. I enjoy what I do, but it's not as profitable as having a full-time job!!!!!!!!
2daSource

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does it have to be an "either or" situation? Are you unable to pursue your dreams where you currently live?

If you were looking to be a songwriter, then yes, you need to be where the music is happening, at least until you can prove yourself, at which time you could live most anywhere.

On the other hand, if you're wanting to be a performer, there's no need to go to Nashville, where you'll simply one more in a sea of performers who all know they have talent and will die of old age before they prove it.

Start playing at venues in your area, and I don't mean karoake. Becoming a talented performer takes both time and practice. Clubs are one option, house parties and community events are another.

If this is what you really want to do, then find a way to do it, without putting your family in jeopardy. Remember, they come first...or should.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I watch the initial try-outs for American Idol and see all those horrors who insist they are the next Celine Dion or Elvis Presley, I am always leery when people say music is in their blood and they really feel they are meant to be performing.

That said for some people it is true. They are truly talented and should be performing. But how do you determine which you are?
Some questions to ask yourself:

When you sit down with your guitar on your knee and open your mouth, does the dog run from the room with its tail between its legs?

Do you actually own a guitar and spend your free time strumming and singing?

Is this dream only a dream you had one night and you've never sung a note? Not all dreams are prophetic. I once dreamed I was kissing Marlon Brandon on the Johnny Carson show but alas both are dead and I never met either of them. And kissing Brando...ick.

Have you done any singing locally? Bars, friend's weddings, charity fundraisers. Local talent competitions. If you offered would they say no?

Have you ever made a demo tape (and you don't need to be in a big city to do that any more)? Have you ever submitted it to anyone for a critique?

You weren't very clear about how much this is just a dream or how hard you have worked at it. You say you have a family so obviously you are not 18. That also means you can't quit your job, bad as they are, and hope your dream will come true.

If you really only want to do small clubs and local gigs, Nashville is the last place you want to be. However working local clubs at night will not bring in enough money for you to quit your day job. So I would suggest you look for a day job that might have you rubbing shoulders with music. I don't know your education or qualifications but jobs are out there from mopping floors at the local radio station to tending bar at a country music club to managing or owning a music store or making guitars.

The first thing you need to do however is analyze yourself, your talent, and your situation. Those kids have to be provided for no matter what.
2daSource

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I still had a TV set, I used to love the American Idol auditions. They were hilarious, especially those who truly believed they had talent based on the reactions they received at Karaoke bars.

As far as I'm concerned, Karaoke is an excuse for drinking and vice versa.

And NO, I never watched American Idol once the auditions were finished.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: