eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Canadian Check or Money Order Question.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIZombie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Canadian Check or Money Order Question. Reply with quote

I have someone from Canada who wants to pay with a check or money order but I have no idea who that works.

Any ideas on this?

MI Zombie
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
2BOYSandTOYS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombie - when I have international transactions, I usually require Paypal only. If you post this over on PSU, you'd prolly get some fast answers - there are several Canadian folks there who are close by most of the time.

I've only accepted Paypal for any international transactions - hope this helps!! Shocked

Erin
poopsheet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

International money orders should be fine although I've only ever gotten two or three. Probably you'd just need to check with your bank to make sure they'll cash them and whether or not there are any fees.

PayPal isn't secure at all for international sales (except for Canada and parts of the UK, I think) because they don't have "confirmed" addresses. So if the overseas buyer files a dispute saying the item didn't arrive they'll automatically win and get their money back because shipping to confirmed addresses is part of the SPP that sellers have to follow in order to be protected by PayPal.

That said, I take PayPal for all international sales and have had no problems but maybe it depends on what you sell.
zickit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASK YOUR BANK

My bank charges $10 to deposit a money order issued in Canada even if drawn on a US bank! I found out the hard way!
Buytime

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIZombie

If they pay you with the Pink international Money order issued from their post office, you can take it to your local post office and they will cash
on the spot for you at no charge.
Make sure that make it out to you and not a business name though

Hope thats helpful to you Smile

Kenny
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If they pay you with the Pink international Money order issued from their post office, you can take it to your local post office and they will cash on the spot for you at no charge.

NOT all PO do this. Mine claims they rarely have cash. People around here just don't use it. Many times I have been in there when they are asking the folks inline if they can break a twenty are asking folks to wait patiently until they get some maoney to make change.
We live in a society of credit and debit cards and the occassional check writer.
Buytime

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTallMensClothing wrote:
Quote:
If they pay you with the Pink international Money order issued from their post office, you can take it to your local post office and they will cash on the spot for you at no charge.

NOT all PO do this. Mine claims they rarely have cash. People around here just don't use it. Many times I have been in there when they are asking the folks inline if they can break a twenty are asking folks to wait patiently until they get some maoney to make change.
We live in a society of credit and debit cards and the occassional check writer.

Well then they will not cash it because they dont have the cash, not because they cant or wont do it.
For anyone who does have a problem with a post office who claims that CANT cash a Canada Post Money order, just point them to the USPS website for THEIR rules.

371.5 Procedures for Cashing Money Orders Issued by Foreign Countries

371.51 Valid Postal Money Orders

Valid postal money orders issued by countries listed in 371.2 will be paid in accordance with the procedures for cashing domestic money orders (see DMM 509). However no international money order will be paid after the expiration of the validity date on the money order.

371.52 Canadian Money Orders

Canadian money orders may be paid only if they are addressed to a payee within the United States and the amount is imprinted in United States currency.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: