eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

More problems at ebay?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
secondlookbooks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: More problems at ebay? Reply with quote

Something to consider, and good reason to make sure you change your passwords regularly, not only on ebay, but here, paypal, and everywhere else.

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2007/03/how_far_has_vla.html#posts
secondlookbooks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have trouble remembering passwords uise a system like I do, have certain items placed around the room. That item determines the first or last # of characters of your password for that site, then some numbers or characters which you have written down and kept in a safe place. (Note to make it less easy for people, if they do break in, I have 150 items spread around the room, but only 10 of them at any time have any meaning, they would have to figure out the ten. The list of number/characters don't identify the site, it is listed in an order for sites, but doesn't identify the site order. For the example below I am using four (in reality I change the number of letters every year, some years one characther, some years more characters.

The number order would look something like this (it is not mine)

45_87
6_350
18-95
43^21
etc.

Say I have a cookbook in place one for ebay titled Civil War Cookbook (I don't, but have sold one of those before). And for ebay the third one was correct the password would be

Civi18-95. Thirty days later I would move that item and put another in its place, the numbers above would change. Would make for an interesting time for the bots. Of course if someone got into the website (like ebay) directly, it would be useless. However it will go a long ways towards preventing the bots from breaking into your store and other ID's). The bots are programs which will go through numbers and letter sequences trying to find your ID. If your ID is all numbers or all letters it is easy for them to find. If it is a mix it is a little harder, if you use a character it is much harder for them.

The thing is is to make it as hard as you possibly can, while most of the time it is overkill, if it keeps your account from being hacked even one time it is worth it.
breezeauctions

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great article. I was just going to post it actually. I cannot believe the severity of the problems that are going on and Ebay is in complete denial. I hate that company and I hope that it has a major crash. Maybe then they would take things seriously!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
secondlookbooks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay won't take anything seriously until they have major competition.

Google has the best chance of doing that, and my guess is that google is looking to take on eBay. Googlebase, and Google Checkout are are part of the building blocks.

My guess is that ebay would lose from 1/4 to 1/2 of its business within a few short weeks to a Google auction/store format. Then google would really go for their throat. Ebay has been on top so long, I'm not sure they know how to face real competition. Meg certainly doesn't have the ability, I've been of the opinion that she wasn't ocmpetant for her position from almost the beginning. (Not to say that women can't be good leaders of business, just that she isn't - just in case anyone wants to pass this off as a sexist comment, there are some great women business people, and some horrible ones, just like men some are good and some are bad).

I'm not saying that Google would be any better then ebay, just that the competion would tend to keep both companies a bit more responsive towards its users.

eCrater will eventually be in third place, behind those two.

No matter what, I will never again trust my whole business model to one company.

Right now I have books on one site
Ephemera is going on this site.
Other items are still on ebay
Once I get eCrater populated to a minimum level will get my website going. It will sell some items, but also direct people to my eCrater store or the book sales site.

At one time you couldn't have convinced me to leave ebay, nor list my items any where else. I like many others were fiercely loyal to ebay. Then came the darkside, darth meg and darth bill, their solution for "vibrancy" was to raise prices, not once, but every year, and sometimes more then once.

Now I am building my presence off ebay, and eventually hope to dump the site entirely.
livingoffthegrid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah past few days are evident of why i diversify my selling.
Power seller boards have been talking about selective searches when it comes to stores and at the whim of whatever rotating software algorithm stores either get sales or they dont.
Ebay really is almost the same as Google as you have to pay high dollar for good placement (adwords can add up!).To get back into Ebay homepage listing rank you have to pay $75 for the featured item deal or pay for the upgrade to an anchor store which still promises nothing but i am a definite case in point when it comes to search selectivity on Ebay.
The past 2 weeks has been fairly slow and then yesterday i get over 25 orders with more today and doesnt look like it will stop for awhile but the month prior i had good sales with mixed customers from all over the world.The slack month was almost all exclusively u.s. buyers.Now it is a mix again.
That tells me definitevely that not only am i on a rotating search but also pertains to how Ebay switches searching on and off for international Ebay sites in regards to the u.s..
It just kind of well,sucks because although i can promote and do other things to get higher volume, i will still be at the mercy of Ebay and their rotating selectivity.No new reading for most i guess but it is frustrating to know that no matter what i do,Ebay will always hold the keys to high volume for me.Guess it was smart marketing to diversify.....
*pats self on back*
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now this!
http://www.theregister.com/2007/03/02/ebay_sign-on_hole

Vote Meg and her crew out of office!
http://www.petitiononline.com/time4chg/petition.html
magicnmyth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd sign the petition if...

I really wanted evilBay to stay in business. Personally, I think Meg and her gang are the best thing to happen to the <bleep>.

So many people complain about "IT" and yet stay. "IT" may be the biggest right now, but "IT" won't be for long.

All the other auction sites combined are actually bigger than "IT". If all the people who are disgruntled with "IT" went to another site, that site would be the biggest.

Christ, just choose one.

Here's a list of auction sites and what they're listing counts look like realtime.

http://www.powersellersunite.com/auctionsitewatch.php

OLA isn't on the list bec they can't give PSU a listing count, only an item quantity count, but the item count is over 5 mil. A store there is $8/mo.

Tazbar is seriously up and coming. They are growing SOOO fast for the 6 months or so they've been up and running AND they have phenomenal customer service. Stores there are only $5/mo.

You know, something as simple as a rat knows when to leave a sinking ship -- FIRST.

The problem is that we, meaning human beings, can't seem to group together and be unified in anything.

I'll make the perfect analogy. Bug's Life. The ants just kept getting their butts kicked by the grasshoppers until they realized there were more of them and together they were stronger. Once they realized that - they put the grasshoppers in their place.

So let's be ants and put eBay in "IT"s place.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tazbar is seriously up and coming. They are growing SOOO fast for the 6 months or so they've been up and running AND they have phenomenal customer service. Stores there are only $5/mo.

MY experience with them has SUCKED! I can't get them to email me or reply or anything about adding a category or at least a size field that fits my needs. It's been 2 months and not one word from them.
dahawaiiankinestore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

I emailed them about setting up an additional store - right now they only allow 1 account per CC. Glitch or on purpose?

They got back to me within 2 hours. I was prepared to wait for days.

Within 24 hours they had set up the additional store I requested.

I've never gotten that fast of a response from ANY other venue.

Don't know about sales yet, haven't been on it very long, but quite a few lookers.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: