eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

E-crater buyers, your success stories?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePastLane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: E-crater buyers, your success stories? Reply with quote

Although I haven't made a whole lot of sales, I couldn't be more pleased with the buyers that I've had. They have been delightful, so easy to deal with. I am impressed with the quality of buyer that ecrater has attracted. Wish there were more of them, though, lol.

One of my buyers turned out to be a real help to me on identifying a piece of pottery. Another one was very humorous and funny and gave me a fits of laughter. Another one was grateful because I happened to send her a little something extra with her purchase and it turned out to be her birthday and she was overjoyed. That made me feel good. It's such a lift after some of the sharky types you run into at, uh, well, you know, that place.

Anyone else have some ecrater success stories about buyers they'd like to share?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
vintageinterestnmore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One buyer said she had been on a hat chase. This was featured as part of her blog. She was looking for a specific hat to wear for her July wedding. The hat she wanted was featured in a magazine in the 1960s (I think). She'd tried other venues, had given up and decided to make her hat.

In the meantime, one of her bridal showers required each attendee to wear a hat. A guest wore the exact hat she wanted. The guest had also worn it at her own wedding, but it was a family item, so she was keeping it as a keepsake. The buyer emailed the young lady and was able to get pictures of it from the photographer and the guest.

Then bwalla she found it in my store. She was ecstatic! She's promised to send pictures after the wedding in July. Hope she does. I'd love to see it as part of her wedding ensemble. One of many heartwarming exchanges I've experienced here.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a pattern get 'lost' after delivery but somehow ended up back in the mailbox a week later. Anyhow during all the emails that ensued, the buyer told me what the dress was for. Her daughter's prom and she sent me pictures that are up on my website of a lovely young lady in her gown made by an aunt. I wish more customers would send me pictures of what they have made. I sew through them vicariously.
ThePastLane

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story, vintageinterest. I think those of us who sell vintage, antiques and collectibles get a charge out of selling something that someone has been searching for. I know I do. I live in an area with a lot of retirees from other parts of the country, they bring their stuff with them, then sell it at estate and garage sales. I get a kick out of sending things "home", so to speak. For example, a few years back, elsewhere on the internet, I had some very collectible pottery from West Virginia that I got at an estate sale and some folks from the town where it was originally made were delighted to buy it from me, it was hard to find. And there was a time when I had a charcoal drawing by a lady who had been a successful regional artist up in the Northeast, and her granddaughter bought it from me. She told me that members of her family were constantly combing the internet to find her grandmother's lost work and that she was giving it to her father for his birthday.

I like the class of buyers here on E-crater, they're the best. I keep forgetting to ask how they found me, though.
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently a buyer wrote why she wanted the particular item she bought. Then she apologized for bothering me with her silly story. I wrote back that it is the stories that make the job interesting.

Her story was that her mother had started to make her a skirt back in the 60s and passed away before she finished it. The pattern got lost but the fabric remained. When she saw the pattern on my site, she bought it to complete the skirt.
ThePastLane

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage items that have to do with sewing seem to have great meaning to customers, there seems to be something there that makes a connection.
vintageinterestnmore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage items do make connections. Even for the younger crowd.

One of the communiques I received was from a gentleman in the eastern part of the U.S. He had found a particular dress from the 1930s or 40s in our store. It was a dress label made by his grandfather. I assume he had been looking for some time and had not found many Marcia Frocks. He purchased the one we had for his daughter. I thought that was majorly cool!
ThePastLane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's majorly cool, too, vintageinterest. These are the kind of stories I really enjoy. One of the great things about ecrater is that you can list an obscure item for sale and eventually someone who wants it will find it, and you don't have to worry about fees or expirations.

Now, if we could just get across to more vintage, antique and collectible shoppers the value of Google Product Search. E-crater, of course, but if more folks used Google Product Search the way they used to use, uh, that other site's search engine, it would be such a blast for so many of us who sell on line.
GoneFunky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold a vintage Frankoma serving tray to a teacher a few weeks ago. The tray was shaped like the face of a mouse! She wanted this particular tray for cookies, as she was having a little party for her kids that was theme related to a particular book they had been reading in class. She paid $25 to get it sent overnight...Wow what a great teacher.

She later sent me pics of the tray loaded with cookies and such...too cute.
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold a pair of black patent high heels by "Julianelli", complete with the original box. I recently received an email from a publisher representing Jane Julianelli for her forthcoming book on her mother, Mabel Julianelli. Apparently my shoes were purchased by the daughter, and a further email from them said that the shoes are being featured in her book coming out in November.

They also wanted to sell me some of the books, but I declined.

Interesting though!

Oh, and if anyone has any more "Julianelli" brand shoes, I think I know where I can sell them!
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW ... some really cool stories!

I was thrill not too long ago when someone here posted about selling an item that was going to appear on the front of a magazine.
Selling clothing .. well it's not as interesting.
ALTHOUGH, I used to have a buyer in the UK that for some reason thought he should email me picks of him wearing the clothings. I was thrilled that he had clothes on in the pics! lol
ThePastLane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, Big T, I'd be glad he sent pictures with the clothing ON, too, but that was nice of him to send them. He was probably delighted to find something decent in his size and even though clothing might seem sort of mundane to you, there is a definite niche that you've managed to fill, and I'll bet you have customers who were very relieved to find you, even if they don't tell you. You're definitely helping people out. You do that for us, too. Thank you.
Gustys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite sales on eCrater was to a children's hospital that wanted smiley-faces bow ties for their servers to wear when bring meals to children. That brought a smile to my face, especially since another buyer suggested that I make smiley faces bow ties. Good luck to all, Gustys Smile
vintageinterestnmore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frilly, I'll bet it was for the book "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie." That's a fab little book. I rather enjoy it myself. (lol) There is a small series of those little Mouse books.

LOL BT, I'm sure you were quite happy he was clothed.

I don't want to hog this topic, but I have so many good experiences with my buyers, I just have to share. I have them saved in a folder for the day if I ever have a serious drought on ecrater. It makes for good reading and encouragement to keep listing.

While on a short break this past April, I opted not to put the stores on hold. My son promised he would be able to locate the items that sold and get them mailed out in a timely fashion. Wellllllllllll, that was not to be. He couldn't find a Stan Herman robe. I emailed the purchaser and explained what the situation was and that I would either refund or get it to her as soon as I returned. She really wanted the robe on a special date.

The Stan Herman robe had been ordered for her Aunt's 80th Birthday Party in Santa Fe, NM during the latter part of April. It was exactly like the one her aunt had worn when she was a young lady. They had ordered it to take to the Birthday celebration. That was to be the BIG Surprise gift.

I felt soooo bad. I impressed upon my son the importance of finding it and getting it to them. Finally, he located it and was able to get it to them on time. I was so relieved! I've since tried to organize better, but I've also put the store on hold when I've been away over 5 days.
ThePastLane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gustys, that's a great story, and it's so fantastic that the children's hospital found you. I really need to ask customers how they find me, I'm assuming Google, but you never know....

vintageinterest, good job on getting your son to find that robe. Sometimes all it takes is a little insistence, but I'll bet your son felt pretty good when he came through for you, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: