eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

condition of item

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hauntedvintage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: condition of item Reply with quote

Hi. I am selling vintage costume jewelry on ecrater. Typically when you sell a piece of unsigned costume jewelry you put the cond down as used. And when you sell a piece of signed vintage costume jewelry you don't put down anything at all for the cond. It seems like if you don't put the cond down as used then it will say brand new condition. All my signed vintage costume jewelry says brand new since I can't put it down as used. It's confusing. Anyone have any advice?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sell antique, vintage, and collectible items. To me, these would all be "used". Just my opinion (other folks may have a different view), but to me vintage jewelry is "vintage" and not "new", and since your two choices on ecrater are used or new, the most acurate for me is "used".

You can give a further description in your item listing. For instance, if the item was from a store inventory and never sold, you might call it "new old stock" or something like that. You can also say something like "previously owned from an estate, but appears never worn". The main thing I try to do is be as complete and accurate about the product as my knowledge and information about the piece allows, without adding facts that I do not really know or cannot prove.

Have a great week!

VintageMoonbeams
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I don't sell or buy vintage jewelry, I don't understand why you would think to leave the condition as a blank if something is signed or do you mean the tag is still on it?. On ecrater you have to put new or used and vintage anything unless you are sure it is unused would/should be an automatic used I would think.
kjscreations

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just another Google requirement. Condition is required for the feed.
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would having a designer's signature make a piece of vintage jewelry brand new? I've been selling vintage including jewelry for years and I mark it all as used...signed or not signed.
vintageinterestnmore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do basically as others have stated. I consider all vintage used or pre-owned. When it is used or pre-owned but is in a box or container that has never been opened or is a garment that still has the tags on it, I write something to the effect that as far as I can tell, it is pre-owned but not worn or previously used. I describe the condition of the box or container as well since some people consider those almost as important as the item itself.
AlmostAntique

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why wouldn't you put anything down on the signed costume jewelry, The piece is either new or used. Put the condition of the item in the description. All costume jewelry or vintage jewelry is used unless in its original sealed state. That's my opinion.
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the powers that be (like google) only think in terms of brand new or used. Some of them know what refurbished is. They haven't gotten the knack yet of terms common to the collecting and restoration world.

NOS - new old stock seems to be beyond their comprehension. Parts for collectible and antique cars can be new (meaning just made), old (been taken from a parts car) or NOS - new because it's never been used but old because it was part of a car dealers stock for 30 years. I guess if you are looking at items still in their original packaging, unopened, they are NOS.

Postcards?
New means to me it has never been used and could be used for it's intended purpose. (yes I've seen cards actually used 20 or more years after they were made) Used means it's already been mailed. The ones that are hard are the ones with writing but never mailed....sort of half used.

I remember reading about a stamp dealer who would USE common 'older' stamps to mail your purchase. Those were collectible, vintage stamps that actually were worth was as stamps rather than collectibles. He didn't use 'new' stamps.

Jewelry is something else. I've purchased earrings etc in boxes - with the jewelry store name on them. And I've purchased estate jewelry, presented in the same boxes. So I'm not sure the "used unless in its original sealed state" is a test that works for me.
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unfortunately the powers that be (like google) only think in terms of brand new or used. Some of them know what refurbished is.

so does google.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: