eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Paypal and buttons and info!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
forheavenscent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Paypal and buttons and info! Reply with quote

I have searched and searched this forum and read enough answers to the questions regarding PayPal. I was happy everyone who participates gladly has a reply to the questions, but I've never seen the complete policy, although the last I read seemed to be the best.

I am here to sell and make money so I can justify the frustration of locating answers to my questions, but here is my request - can we make this a little more 'user friendly' for the customer, like a statement "Payments with PayPal must use "Alternate Payment"? We advertise (though of us who use) "we accept PayPal", well any of us who purchase with PayPal use the 'BUTTON' because in skips all the BS and is convenient. That's the nice thing about PayPal, well we short change the customer, we lure them in and leave them hanging.

Just a suggestion for we who use PP, maybe it could be one less (probably more) frustrated consumer?

thx
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been the way it is because ecrater has some deal with Google Checkout to make it first.

Personally the way it has gotten with Google Searches, I wish it could be even steven.
GoneFunky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but I believe Google requires their checkout button to be prominently display FIRST! On my website I accept GCO PayPal and CC payments...I asked the lady who designed my template if we could move all the buttons to one page and she said No!

I've had many customers asking how to use PayPal. It might be another rule of Google to not mention PP. It would be sweet if it said Proceed to PP or something rather than alternate method, but not sure Google would approve.
forheavenscent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: second fiddle Reply with quote

It is not a problem that PayPal does not get first rate billing (no pun intended), what I am asking is for eCrater is to clarify to it's customers with a sub line saying PayPal payments must use 'alternate payment' option. Just a little direction, the way it is now is like a highway sign saying Bigville Highway 50 miles ahead and then no signs at the exits to identify it significantly or at all.

We woo customers by saying 'we accept this form of payment', and like myself did not see any directions (and many others I see), I thought something was wrong because it was not obvious. The difference is I have more at stake and have a way to find the answers, that a consumer has nothing at stake can easily go elsewhere.

How about this for a good question, 'is it not about a good customer experience'? I think in all of my travels through this forum the last few weeks I recall someone state that you need to make the operation simple for the consumer.

I am just asking eCrater for and arrow not a flashing neon lite. I would like to able to put a PayPal button on the first page of the alternate payment option (not visible on the cart page), but I would accept a statement of some kind.

I can understand Google's position as it is now we seem to get quite a bit in services, I have seen some vendors here that do not accept GCO, do they not get to participate or receive the same benefit from Google?
forheavenscent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It would be sweet if it said Proceed to PP or something rather than alternate method, but not sure Google would approve.

There is nothing to clue the customer to go to alternate payment. Every site that I have been on that says we accept PP has a button, sooooooo what does a PP customer expect to see? Well we drop the ball, if you can not make it obvious give some direction do not confuse.
I may not be the brightest light bulb in the pack, but I know as a customer that wants to use PP and not a debit/credit card and can not figure it out, I'll leave and go elsewhere.
PP has promoted the convenience and safety of using a PP account and people who use it (myself included) enjoy the confidence or the security and the convenience of checking out.
IncredibleClutter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forheavenscent wrote:
... but I know as a customer that wants to use PP and not a debit/credit card and can not figure it out, I'll leave and go elsewhere.
PP has promoted the convenience and safety of using a PP account and people who use it (myself included) enjoy the confidence or the security and the convenience of checking out.

"use PP and not a debit/credit"
Do you mean pay with your PP balance or echeck or something?
You have absolutely no buyer protection that way.

PP has promoted a lot of "convenience and safety" of using their service.
GCO is just as convenient and safe, if not more so. They actually go through the steps to validate a card, whereas PP processes the transaction and then "...oops... we must investigate..."

Yes, one needs an account with GCO, but it's quick and easy to set up. Once you have an account, it's every bit as convenient and secure as the almighty PP.

On the seller side, it's far better than the almighty PP.

/end PP-GCO rant LOL
Sorry, I just get so tired of how PP is the best thing, when I know better...

Perhaps you could put something in you FAQ about how to check out using PP?

Very Happy
forheavenscent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are missing the point! My posts are not for the promotion of PayPal. You have replaced my wording with words of your choice, if you want to quote, read what was written "use PP and not a debit/credit" I do not say there is 'buyer protection' and I am not telling the customer what they should or should not use. eCrater accepts PayPal so when a consumer says "kool they accept PayPal" let them use PP. A customer is (close to literal) standing in front of you waving cash saying I'll take one of those and um, I'll take one those......

"PP has promoted convenience and safety of using a PP account" These potential customers already have a PP account! We want their business we say (sorry for shouting) "WE ACCEPT PayPal" my point is how to make it clear to a PP customer how to checkout. As I have said previously PP customers are used to the extremely easy checkout (or should I phrase it "extremely simple") procedure with the "button". The address and all of the pertinent info is already there (like one of your accounts with a repeat vendor). "convenience and safety", I have already explained the convenience part now I will explain the safety part - in this transaction the customer reveals absolutely no personal financial information and that gives a consumer confidence.

I can not find any statement of 'buyer protection' do you see buyer protection stated? You are trying make it sound as if I am touting the sign saying "YOU should use PP" and yes I also have a personal GCO account and have had one for several years and I understand it is just as easy to use. Your argument that it is quick and painless to open an GCO account, okay you wanna be a posta boy for GCO you get no argument. Go on and convert evangelista! (you also may be mistaking this is about using PP for Credit/Debit card transaction, and that is not, what I say is refering PP and PP check).

Now what can we do about making it a positive experience for the PayPal consumer (definition: customer who has an open PayPal account) while shopping on Ecrater? There is a reason that they put up red letter "exit" signs in public buildings ........

We want the customers, we say "we accept your currency", but transactions can only be processed at one register in the department store---find it. Can I make a better analogy? And for the GCO proponents why should accept 'American Express'? we already accept 'Visa'!

I do not know how to find out why it is only a lame non active button with no clue for the consumer (please don not tell me GCO is always first I know that) by that I mean some kind of instruction of how to reach the ultimate -- paying and finishing the sale. I hate to be a sheep that says "it's just the way it's always been" (please no offense intended for those I may have quoted with that statement). If PP is so inconsequential why do we accept it?

I make no apology here, we need to put ourselves in the consumer place and view it from their prospective.

Do not loose sight the your goal here, well my goal at least, to make a sale!

Make no mistake, I include no opinions here, PP or GCO is or is not better. The fact is we are dropping the ball a simple statement under the PP logo "use alternate payment". Complicated?
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you are saying but I don't see this as a huge problem. Most of my sales come through GCO and about a third through PP. Obviously lots of customers are figuring it out (I am making multiple sales every month). I have purchased items here using PP and was not in the least confused nor needed hand holding or special buttons.

I think some customers will be confused no matter what as they are terrified to commit to paying for anything on the computer, so they are scared of any and all buttons. Some customers don't read, which is why I get people buying my patterns thinking they are getting a complete suit for the price! Some just don't pay attention to whatever they see which is why we ship things to addresses 3 years out of date and customer blames US!

But for the most part, most customers read and follow the instructions and successfully complete their transactions without the need of hand holding.
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their thinking may be "let's accept PayPal to lure buyers (those buyers that have only been able to pay with PayPal for years on that other site) in. Then make it difficult to find and maybe they will go ahead and use GCO instead."

My feeling is they don't want to "force" GCO on everyone like PayPal is at that other site but yet they want everyone to use GCO. Making PayPal hard to locate accomplishes that somewhat....I'm sure some will not make the purchase but others will give in and use GCO.
forheavenscent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
But for the most part, most customers read and follow the instructions and successfully complete their transactions without the need of hand holding.

I agree with you 100% that you will have confused consumers, I have worked in retail and hospitality businesses over 30 years. That is life in 'My World'.

I am very sorry I did not completely understand. By the way could you point me in the correct direction to where those instructions are (regarding PP transactions). I must be one of those confused people.

I realize that it is not a huge problem, but to tell you the truth and I will quote myself from an earlier post "I am not the brightest bulb" I thought I had not connected the dots correctly when preparing my page. So in my forum travels I will tell you I saw enough complaints from sellers not understanding, but the biggest problem is there were quite a few notations that the main subjects (the customer, remember them?) were having problems.

Now with that being said 'eCrater' is trying there best to grow and increase sales and traffic for both their sellers and there customer's, my simple little point was, "could we assist the consumer with 'a pleasurable experience' while shopping on eCrater".

I would think a minor improvement to help my above point would a 'no brainer', but then again that is 'My World'
IncredibleClutter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, forheavenscent, you took my post all wrong.
That's all I'm gonna say...
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it can't be a bad day because I learned something! Very Happy Since I only offer PayPal, I was not aware that the Google icon on a seller's page is actually a button, while the PayPal icon is just a picture.

Google is such a hoot!
LeatherNiche

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: The PayPal Button Reply with quote

Having read Forheavenscent's topic, I wonder if we might add some text in our store's payment policy like "PayPal users may click the PayPal Button then should opt to use the "alternate payment option," or put some text in our product /item description to that effect?

I'm just assuming that the alternate payment option is something that a buyer finds in the PayPal system after the PayPal button is pushed Or, am I missing the whole point here?

I'm building a new store and notice that when I activate the PayPal button as a payment option, the PayPal button presents itself along with various credit card options. Are those credit card icons meaning that the buyer my use those credit cards to pay PayPal and is why they appear?

I just want to use PayPal, money orders and cashier checks as my payment options.

I'm reviewing this forum in an effort to get myself updated as I build the new store and up date the old store.

Thank You
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder if we might add some text in our store's payment policy

On text pages you can.

Quote:
after the PayPal button is pushed

Youan't pusth a PayPal button
You have to select PayPal AFTER you select alternative payment
Sounds like you need to buy somethng from an ecrater seller Laughing
Quote:
the PayPal button presents itself along with various credit card options. Are those credit card icons meaning that the buyer my use those credit cards to pay PayPal and is why they appear?
The PayPal LOGO appears - it's not a button. THe credit card logos NOW are back and appear since you take credit cards via PayPal and or Google Checkout.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: