eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Shipping Fees - Click to Check Feature
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neweratradingpost

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Shipping Fees - Click to Check Feature Reply with quote

This is such a nice feature. Thank you eCrater!

However, it points out to me that I have some issues with shipping.

The Priority Mail fees seems correct, but the First Class fees seem very low.

For example, for a 0.1875 oz package (earrings):

- If I was to send it to California, the Check feature showed $0.78 for First Class. I went to USPS.com site and it said $1.22.

- If I was to send it to Zimbabwe, the Check feature showed $3.02 for First Class International. The USPS.com site said $1.44

The Zimbabwe example is very strange, since the Check feature showed a higher price than the USPS site did.

I'm so confused. Confused Any ideas for me please?

Thank you, Jeannie
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
neweratradingpost

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, also, I've had customers who ordered something that was under 13 oz and were charged for priority mail, even though I have Priority AND First Class options. Why didn't it chose First Class?

Jeannie
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double check that you have first class included in your USPS calculator option
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My First Class costs seem to be OK. My problem is with Priority Mail on dim weight eligible & oversized items. I set my shipping on these items to default to my flat rate prices. This new feature is showing shipping as $0.00 on all of them. For now I have dropped Priority as an option and also had to edit all these items back to their true weight. The oversized items (between 84" and 108" length + girth I set them to 20 lbs.....which I now realize I could have done before)
silktraveler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: What is "dim" weight and.......matrix vs calculate Reply with quote

I have never heard of "dim" weight. (edit-thanks, yes, I've done dimensional shipping, just hadn't heard it called that)

Also, I think I have never fully understand the Matrix vs Calculated Shipping. My items mainly range from several ounces to about 2lbs.
I assign weights like this : 0.33, 0.49, 1.00, 1.75, etc (lbs).
My weight Scale is on Small.
My Matrix has my 1lb 2lb 4lb (flat-rate) Priority S/H amounts.
I have USPS Calculated Shipping enabled.
I have First-Class, Parcel, and Priority enabled for Shipping Services.

Checkout always charges the calculated Priority Rate thats in the Matrix. So what I understand is that it is calculating based on the weights I've entered (because it's totalling the combined weight on multi-item orders).

The upside is that people do get a better/correct combined rate; I have my Priority Flat-Rate Box charge in the 4lb tab because over 2lbs to most zones is almost as much as the Flat-Rate Boxes (which works well for my bath and body items).

What I've not been sure of is how to get it to calculate First-Class for the under 1lb items. I've read some threads that had real complicated calculations to sort of jerryrig the matrix but it was just beyond me. Now that I've got over 1000 listings using the 0.25, 0.33, 0.49, 1.25, 1.75 etc method in the Matrix I just can't go and redo with different computations.

What happens if I UNCHECK the Enable USPS Calculated Shipping Instead box? Would it then use my existing weight assignments and give the 1st Class/Parcel/Priority option?

(edit-have tried again next day and still returning 0 shipping)

Last edited by silktraveler on Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What is "dim" weight

it;'s dimensions of the package together with the weight of the package. It's used on any oversized package ... even THICK envelopes have an oversized postage pricing.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: What is "dim" weight and.......matrix vs calcu Reply with quote

silktraveler wrote:
I have never heard of "dim" weight.

DIM weight (aka Dimensional Weight) is how the shipping is calculated when you have a package that is large and the weight is below a certain size/weight ratio.

For USPS Priority Mail, Dimensional Weight calculations apply for packages about 1 cubic foot, and for zones 5-8 (the zones farthermost from the shipper). For zones 1-4, a 'Balloon Weight' charge may apply for larger packages.

Talk to your post master for a better explanation (or read the USPS DMM for the exact wording).
neweratradingpost

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Shipping Fees - Click to Check Feature Reply with quote

neweratradingpost wrote:

- If I was to send it to California, the Check feature showed $0.78 for First Class. I went to USPS.com site and it said $1.22.

Any ideas on why this is happening please? Why is it calculating $0.78 when it should be $1.22? I have the weight correct in the listing, and I have First Class, Parcel and Priority enabled. I'm thinking that for some reason the Calculator doesn't work for under-13oz items. Anyone else having an issue with this? I too, have a great number of my items under 13 oz.

By the way, the First Class International shipping calculator works okay.

Thanks, Jeannie
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Shipping Fees - Click to Check Feature Reply with quote

neweratradingpost wrote:
neweratradingpost wrote:

Any ideas on why this is happening please? Why is it calculating $0.78 when it should be $1.22? I have the weight correct in the listing, and I have First Class, Parcel and Priority enabled. I'm thinking that for some reason the Calculator doesn't work for under-13oz items. Anyone else having an issue with this? I too, have a great number of my items under 13 oz.

By the way, the First Class International shipping calculator works okay.

Thanks, Jeannie

The calculator is quoting the rate for a "First Class Mail Letter" and it appears you want the rate for a "First Class Mail Large Envelope". Looking at the options available in the eCrater calculator there is "First Class Mail" and "First Class Mail Flat". I checked both of these options and tested one of my 3 ounce items. First Class gave me $0.78 and First Class Flat gave me $1.22.
neweratradingpost

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping Fees - Click to Check Feature Reply with quote

[/quote]The calculator is quoting the rate for a "First Class Mail Letter" and it appears you want the rate for a "First Class Mail Large Envelope". Looking at the options available in the eCrater calculator there is "First Class Mail" and "First Class Mail Flat". I checked both of these options and tested one of my 3 ounce items. First Class gave me $0.78 and First Class Flat gave me $1.22.[/quote]

Thanks, Jigsaw. I see that now.

Okay, do you know the difference between First Class FLAT (which gave me $1.22) and First Class PARCEL (which gave me $1.56)?

They both ship in 1-3 days.

Jeannie
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large Envelope (Flat)

Dimension Minimum* Maximum
Height 6-1/8 inches 12 inches
Length 11-1/2 inches 15 inches
Thickness 1/4 inch 3/4 inch

* Large envelopes exceed at least one of these dimensions.

For example, an envelope 10 long x 8 inches high x 1/4 inch thick is considered a large envelope because it exceeds the minimum height dimension.

Large envelopes that are rigid, nonrectangular, or not uniformly thick pay package prices.

For large envelopes, length is the longest dimension.

For larger items, see package prices.

First Class Parcel would apply if your package exceeds the maximum dimensions listed above and the package weighs 13 oz or less. I always use this instead of Envelope as it provides Delivery Confirmation. Has to be 3/4" thick to be a Parcel and not an Envelope
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping Fees - Click to Check Feature Reply with quote

neweratradingpost wrote:
Okay, do you know the difference between First Class FLAT (which gave me $1.22) and First Class PARCEL (which gave me $1.56)?

What are you selling ?

The following is the USPS definition of "Flat-Size Mail" (from the DMM)

101.2.1 General Definition of Flat-Size Mail
Flat-size mail is:
a. More than 11-1/2inches long, or more than 6-1/8inches high, or more than 1/4 inch thick.
b. Not more than 15inches long, or more than 12inches high, or more than
3/4 inch thick.
c. Flexible (see 2.3).
d. Rectangular with four square corners or with finished corners that do not
exceed a radius of 0.125 inch (1/8 inch). See Exhibit 2.1d.
e. Uniformly thick (see 2.4).
f. Unwrapped, sleeved, wrapped, or enveloped.

The definition gets much more detailed, but those are the basics. If you want to wade thru entire specification, you need to go to the USPS Postal Explorer site and look at DMM section 101.

101.6.4.2 Nonmachinable Flats (first class)
Flat-size pieces that do not meet the standards in 2.0 are subject to the applicable postage for a parcel-size piece, based on weight.

101.6.5 Parcels (first class)
The address side of the parcel must be large enough to contain all delivery and return address, endorsement, postage, and label elements. First-Class Mail parcels are eligible for Delivery Confirmation and Signature Confirmation services. A First-Class Mail parcel is:
a. A mailpiece that exceeds any one of the maximum dimensions for a flat (large envelope). See 2.1.
b. A flat-size mailpiece, regardless of thickness, that is rigid or nonrectangular.
c. A flat-size mailpiece that is not uniformly thick (has bumps, protrusions, or other irregularities that cause the thickness to vary more than 1/4 inch).

So, for example, a phonograph record might appear to meet the dimensions for a flat, but seeing as how it is rigid, it would need to ship as a parcel.

All the small boxes I ship go out as First Class Parcel.
neweratradingpost

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, it looks like I should probably go First Class Parcel then, since my jewelry goes in boxes. The flat (thick) envelopes would have clothing, bags, and such in them. Parcel too, I guess.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Jeannie
silktraveler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: If your Click to Check is showing 0 on everything Reply with quote

Others who keep getting shipping 0 with the Click to Check feature may have the same issue I did. eCrater forum admin found my problem and it may be yours too. Since fixing this I have had a transaction caculate a Parcel Post rate while before all my sales calculated Priority even though I had 3 different options entered to choose from.
-----Go to your ADMINISTRATIVE TOOL page.
-----Under ACCOUNT go to Edit Account Info and look at your ZIP CODE.
-----If you have the whole 9 digit take the extra 4 digits off.
-----Then see if Click to Check works for you now!

However, I also found that it appears to not recognize any fixed shipping I had set. On some of my listings I do "shipping included" and enter Fixed and "0" cost instead of weight dependable. I did Click to Check on those and they are showing a shipping charge.
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: If your Click to Check is showing 0 on everything Reply with quote

silktraveler wrote:

However, I also found that it appears to not recognize any fixed shipping I had set. On some of my listings I do "shipping included" and enter Fixed and "0" cost instead of weight dependable. I did Click to Check on those and they are showing a shipping charge.

I thought once you enabled the calculated shipping, it overrode any fixed shipping amounts. I know that some people worked out "tricks" to make it work, but I don't think that's how it's supposed to work.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: