eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Add your feeds to AuctionRSSFeed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I believe we're on the right track. Ecrater seems to have a pre-set 20 items per page without having to manually go in. I don't remember setting it anyway. Here's where I was going with the last post. 2 examples:

Example #1 (all mixed together, page 1): http://www.dccollectibles.ecrater.com/rss-cat.php?cid=756926
(no keywords visible)

Example #2 (one step further, broken into smaller categories, page 1):
http://dccollectibles.ecrater.com/c/1199262/bandai-power-rangers-action-figures
http://dccollectibles.ecrater.com/c/757005/buffy-angel-firefly-dollhouse-collectibles
http://dccollectibles.ecrater.com/c/864276/harry-potter-toys-action-figures
http://dccollectibles.ecrater.com/c/756941/lord-of-the-rings-action-figures

...and so on.

This will definately take longer to submit for sure, but is there an advantage to doing it this way with each category named and the titles/keywords appearing in the links? In the first example, my title is just something like "TV & Movie Toys & Collectibles Page 1" and in the second, I start naming the specific series "Star Trek Toys & Collectibles Page 1" "Terminator Toys & Collectibles Page 1" "Power Rangers Toys Page 1" etc.

I'm really not sure how this sort of system works or how intuitive it may be with the keywords. But it would seem to me that the extra work mightbe worth it if it's anything like Google Products. When people are looking for a toy/collectible to buy, they usually put in the title of the series or name of the character. Are the RSS feeds geared to sorting all this out without all the extra manual work?

Denny Crane
(hoping that all made sense Laughing
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
auctionrssfeed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the #2 examples are that the links shown are not RSS feeds, so AuctionRSSFeed would not display those links. The RSS link on the bottom of those pages will not have keywords in link. The page itself and the item titles, descriptions have keywords in them, but are not RSS feeds.

So all links submitted to AuctionRSSFeed have to be Example #1 links. The keywords you use in the submission form, the item title and descriptions that we get from eCrater RSS become keywords on AuctionRSSfeed pages when they are displayed by people visiting or crawled by search engines.

Beside missing a category choice on a few submissions (I fixed it for you) all of your submissions have been correct. I get submissions like example #2 a lot, and they will not display on AuctionRSSFeed.

How much you wish to break the items down is up is a personal preference. I feel that "more" is better in this case (having more pages with your items because you have broken them down).

The RSS feeds provided by AuctionRSSFeed will be sorted just as you have broken them down, along with the keywords you provide in the submission form at AuctionRSSfeed.

Let me know if I still didn't answer your questions correctly.
zickit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The problem with the #2 examples are that the links shown are not RSS feeds

the link posted was an example of how sellers can get a keyword specific RSSfeed. If you look at those links each one has a RSSFeed in the bottom right corner.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Let's try that again...

Example #1:
http://dccollectibles.ecrater.com/rss-cat.php?cid=570114
(heading:Star Wars Collectibles page:1)

Example #2:

http://dccollectibles.ecrater.com/rss-cat.php?cid=756964
(sub-heading: 12-Inch Action Figures page:1)

http://dccollectibles.ecrater.com/rss-cat.php?cid=756967
(sub-heading: Clone Wars Action Figures & Vehicles page:1)

http://dccollectibles.ecrater.com/rss-cat.php?cid=756974
(sub-heading:EP3 Revenge of the Sith Action Figures page:1)

http://dccollectibles.ecrater.com/rss-cat.php?cid=756977
(sub-heading: Original Trilogy (OTC) Action Figures page:1)

Also, will adding the title keywords within each sub-heading (such as "Star Wars" within "12-Inch Action Figures page:1) help with searching, or does the system work this all out for you? It makes the shopping page look a mess, but if it's required for search...just wondering how much information and how detailed each submission needs to be without sacrificing too much page flow.

The only problem I have with breaking everything down into sub-sub-sub headings is that you end up with a category with only like 2 items. Doesn't seem all that impressive from a shopping pov, but if it's all about the search and indexing, maybe that's a worthy tradeoff.
auctionrssfeed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigtallmensclothing wrote:
Quote:
The problem with the #2 examples are that the links shown are not RSS feeds

the link posted was an example of how sellers can get a keyword specific RSSfeed. If you look at those links each one has a RSSFeed in the bottom right corner.

Yes, that would be true. I was trying to show others that those are not the links to submit. I get a lot of those.
auctionrssfeed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keywords are useful for helping people find your items through the search engines. Exact titles can be very helpful when a person is searching for that exact item. Most people enter generic terms for their items like "Star Wars toys, Clone Wars", etc. whether by laziness, time constraints, taking shortcuts.

It's not necessary to put in every keyword, but like the old saying goes: The more you put in, the more you get out.

All of the keywords entered in the submission form at ARF are included in the meta keywords part of the html which are not seen on the webpage, yet are seen by the search engines when they crawl the pages.

Keywords entered in the submission form at ARF are also displayed on the page below all of your items so they do not interfere with the page by cluttering it up.

Also, the title of your eCrater items are keywords to be picked up by the search engines.

You can either go easy on the submission form and let your item titles be your keywords, or you can do more work and make your keywords display in the meta keywords part of the html and on the webpage itself.

Page flow in the form of text (keywords, etc.) stored in the database is very quick. What takes so long to process the pages is ARF having to call your items through RSS from eCrater to display on ARF.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, would it cause any break in the feed to resubmit with the proper sub-headings at this point? (having just submitted yesterday and today) or would you recommend to wait until after more items are added later this week?

Quote:
All of the keywords entered in the submission form at ARF are included in the meta keywords part of the html which are not seen on the webpage, yet are seen by the search engines when they crawl the pages.

I assume this means that if I put in "star wars" as part of the keywords for instance, we would not have to include this in the subheadings for the RSS?
auctionrssfeed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dccollectibles wrote:
In that case, would it cause any break in the feed to resubmit with the proper sub-headings at this point? (having just submitted yesterday and today) or would you recommend to wait until after more items are added later this week?

No breaks would be made to the feed. There would only be extra pages with your items, not a problem at all. You can add them whenever you'd like, as you add items they will be included in the RSS.

Quote:

dccollectibles wrote:
I assume this means that if I put in "star wars" as part of the keywords for instance, we would not have to include this in the subheadings for the RSS?
The RSS coming from eCrater will have the headings of the search term you used at eCrater to make the RSS feed.

The title of the items in the RSS feed, can be considered keywords and will change as your items for sale change. The only difference is those keywords do not display in the meta keywords in the html for the page displaying them on ARF, nor will they be repeated at the bottom below your items.

Each search engine is different in the content they store, so I have tried to cover all of the bases. Meta tags, page content, and content from your RSS feed.

You can do as little keyword adding as you like, or as much as you'd like. Much like on that other auction site, you can search by title and description, your description becomes keywords at that point. A seller can be found better by being descriptive in their title as well as their description.

Since eCrater doesn't display item descriptions in RSS (only image and title), adding the keywords at ARF help make up for that somewhat. Your eCrater title is limited in characters when entering in an item, but the keywords you can add at ARF to accompany those items may make a difference.
vintagevillage12

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried this out it was my first time posting a RSS feed (don't even know what that stand for). I went to add RSS feed and filled out all the info, guess I have to wait a while before I can check it out. I want to see if I did it correctly before I submit all of my cat's.

Does this sound like I did it correct to everyone?

Thanks
VV
auctionrssfeed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ma'am! You did it correctly.

Your page is live!
CLEOSCOLLECTABLES

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my rss feed done with the help of William over there and have seen some hits already on my google analytics. William is very hard working and deserves a thumb up. He worked with me on my feeds about 4 different times until I got it right. So I would say go over and give it a try. You can't sit and wait on Google to do you any favors.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLEOSCOLLECTABLES - how do you contact them if you have more questions? Is there any way to see what your feed looks like once submitted (other than the submission page of course). Thanks
CLEOSCOLLECTABLES

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dc,
There is a contact us button on the page and he answers very promptly. He even emailed back and let me know when the feed was ready for viewing. You can only send in 20 products at a time because that is the way ecrater is set up. A word of caution, I named all of my feeds Cleo's Collectables, so I sent the feeds again and named each feed by the category. William was kind enough to help me revise these but I feel I was a total pain in the but for all the time he spent on it.

If you use your categories for each feed it will also give you more exposure in my opinion because of the keywords. The best way I found to do it is to copy and paste your rss and then on the next line put your category name, leave a couple of lines before doing the next feed. I used a word document to do mine and then you can copy and paste and don't forget to save a copy for yourself.

This is really worth the effort you will put into it and I wish you all happy sales! Smile
nothingnew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried to post my rss feed and after it took the inho the next page had this at the top in the middle of the page

Add your auction feed below.
All feeds are validated first!
Non-auction feeds will be removed!
nothingnew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well why it says that i don't know. but i just received an email from the rss site saying they added my feed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: