eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

eCRATER launches in United Kingdom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> News & System Status
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecrater-moon
forum admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just thought you should know that your system isn't allowing more than two places after the decimal, so I had to set the multiplier to 0.62

I will forward this information along.

em
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrater wrote:
frillypad wrote:
Is it possible to open a UK store? This way we can set up everything just so-so and decide what items to make available.

You can still decide which items to make available in UK. You can manually control this when you add/edit products.

After you register you automatically receive both US and UK store.

BUT it don't work if you use FIXED Shipping Cost in the US.

Currently, I don't ship internation on ecrater, never have, because I can't use fixed shipping.

IF I could duplicate my store for the UK, and use fixed shipping for UK shoppers
then I could use ecrater.co.uk
as it is now, the way I understand it
Since I don't use the shipping matrix or the USPS calculator, I can not use ecrater.co.uk UNLESS I ship at no cost and at $58 to ship a 5 pound pair of jeans, that just ain't happening.
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrater-moon wrote:

As for the offline payment options, if they are accepted in the US store, at this time the same options will be available in the UK store. There is no way to remove these at this time.

em

OUCH!

I hope sellers realize how costly it will be for them to deposit international funds.
ecrater
forum admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We updated the user value to allow up to 6 digits after the decimal point when you set the UK price in the global editor.
holylandbazaar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: CONVERTING SHIPPING COSTS FOR THE UK Reply with quote

good day to all...regarding selling to UK w/price in pounds..the conversion to pound price is straight forward enough. what i had trouble understanding is how to transfer the shipping cost (listed in $) to pounds. i do not list by weight...i assign each product a cost for shipping. so how do i go about listing the shipping per product to UK prices. Are the prices that i have listed for the States just converted to pounds or is there something else to ponder?? thanks and good wishes...holy land bazaar
Florida-House

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: Beware Reply with quote

Just got this email
Your email ID has won 1,000,000.00 GBP In The Tobacco Promo Send:
Names....
Address...
Age...

Scam?
DragonmastersMagickalDoorway

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: UK Selling Reply with quote

Ok I followed the instructions that were written out to be able to sell items to the UK...but is there a way to check and see what it actually shows how the item would look like when someone is looking at what I'm trying to sell in the UK?

Thxs
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: CONVERTING SHIPPING COSTS FOR THE UK Reply with quote

holylandbazaar wrote:
good day to all...regarding selling to UK w/price in pounds..the conversion to pound price is straight forward enough. what i had trouble understanding is how to transfer the shipping cost (listed in $) to pounds. i do not list by weight...i assign each product a cost for shipping. so how do i go about listing the shipping per product to UK prices. Are the prices that i have listed for the States just converted to pounds or is there something else to ponder?? thanks and good wishes...holy land bazaar

That fixed cost that you entered is the cost to ship within the US and/or to Canada. Those are the only options that you can have fixed shipping to. In order to ship internationally (not just to the UK), you have to use either the matrix or the USPS calculator. If you are not located in the US (I didn't look to see), then you will have to use the USPS calculator with weights for your items.

This is the way it has been on Ecrater for a long time. The difference is that people formerly would just tell international shoppers to email to get the amount. But if you are going to actually have a site IN the UK, you can't just tell people to email for a cost. Buyers need to be able to buy, checkout, and pay, or they will move on to another site. If you don't have any valid shipping entered for your items, they will show Free shipping and you will most likely have to honor that.

Good luck!! Smile
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: UK Selling Reply with quote

DragonmastersMagickalDoorway wrote:
Ok I followed the instructions that were written out to be able to sell items to the UK...but is there a way to check and see what it actually shows how the item would look like when someone is looking at what I'm trying to sell in the UK?

Thxs

Your URL in the UK site is http://DragonmastersMagickalDoorway.ecrater.co.uk so see if that will work for you.

I gather you are just getting started, but your USPS calculated shipping is showing 0.00 right now. Since your store is live, you need to fix that soon.

Good luck! Very Happy
holylandbazaar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your reply....
so are you saying...if i am posting OUTSIDE the US i have to use the usps postal calculator?? does that make sense....i believe on converting the cost of the items you want to charge...you use the constant .64xxxx and this will convert from $$ to Lbs. when the cost in multiplied by .64xxxx.
so why can't they take the shipping costs that we have already listed to america...and convert them as well....seems like if i have to go into my 500+ products and reassign them --that would be a lot of work...am i missing something...or is this what i have to do..thanks
somewhereinmymemories

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy about this. Since I sell Sasha doll items, I have lots of customers in the UK that I sell to quite regularly and they have become good friends. Now I won't have to manually take their orders on Ecrater anymore; they can check out on their own.

The only thing to be aware of is that the dollar fluctuates daily against the pound, so if you set your prices in GBP it may vary a little bit from what your US asking price really is. Also, Paypal charges a slightly higher percentage for overseas sales.

I would never ditch my overseas customers though - sometimes they are the only one who seem to be buying!
AChildsWorldofFabrics

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Benefit vs. Work and Risk Reply with quote

We've been set up to sell to UK for quite a while off the US site and do occasionally sell to UK from the US site. The currency has always been converted at checkout so the UK buyer pays the GBP amount that equals the USD order total. We would welcome more UK sales the way it's been set up.

The way this looks, I would have to track the GBP/USD conversion rate myself and would be responsible for the difference if my UK store setup had a different conversion rate than is used by the payment processors at the time of payment (currently at 1 USD = 0.624 GBP according to the information eCrater is providing). As soon as the real-time conversion rate changes from the .624 rate we've entered in our setup, our prices will be wrong on the UK site and we could end up overcharging the customer (they would be soo happy I'm sure we'd get + feedback!) or loosing money on the conversion.

I'm not sure how often the conversion rate changes and how big a fluctuation there is but this looks like it would add A LOT of work to manage just the conversion rates. We're not ready to assume all that additional work and risk just to be visible on the UK site.

It seems to me that eCrater could set up a global UK price adjuster on the UK site that is tied to a real-time conversion rate tracker used by payment processors. They could then give us US sellers a toggle switch option to include our product on the UK site without the risk of conversion rate nightmares. They should also have different payment options set up for international sales as some good US payment options are cost prohibitive for international sales.

Just my opinion.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happily, there's not a whole lot of movement on the rates between the UK and U.S on average. This is from longterm observation (5+ some odd years). Major world economy shifts notwithstanding (ie the current depression), you may lose or gain a few cents based on the day, and this usually only fluctuates about once/twice a week on average. There was a major drop last year but we all know what that was about and it's already happened. Basically, if it's in the news and everyone is talking about it, go look--you probably need to adjust. Otherwise, if you want, to monitor the change, it's easily seen at XE.com. As it is now, for the diff of a few cents I don't even bother anymore. You can set the UK rate where you are comfortable to allow for the adjustment if you like.

I notice you both use Google Checkout. If you don't mind my asking, have you been able to integrate the GCO with gbp to allow for immediate checkout (and if so how) or do you only use Paypal for international? I would like to avoid PP int'l if at all possible.
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holylandbazaar wrote:
thank you for your reply....
so are you saying...if i am posting OUTSIDE the US i have to use the usps postal calculator?? does that make sense....i believe on converting the cost of the items you want to charge...you use the constant .64xxxx and this will convert from $$ to Lbs. when the cost in multiplied by .64xxxx.
so why can't they take the shipping costs that we have already listed to america...and convert them as well....seems like if i have to go into my 500+ products and reassign them --that would be a lot of work...am i missing something...or is this what i have to do..thanks

I didn't go to your store before to see how you handled your international orders. Right now your ecrater.com store is already set up to ship to the UK and the shipping is showing as 0.00. So you must have your shipping added into the price, is that right? When someone from the UK orders from you now, it is already taken care of? If that is the case, then you don't have to change anything.

If you did not intend to have Free shipping to the UK, then you need to fix that in your current Ecrater store, which will then take care of what shows in the UK site as well.

Opening the UK site did not create a new shipping location. We have always been able to ship to the UK and it always had to be using the matrix or the USPS calculator. The people who are having the most trouble are the ones who selected the UK as a shipping zone but did not set up any shipping, relying on that "Contact me for a cost" message. I would never trust that! Shocked What I don't guess they realize is that they have been offering Free shipping all along! It took the new site to make it show up.

Best of luck!! Very Happy
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good point wtcollectibles. As I've now found that enabling usps shipping does fix this problem, I am now attempting to find a workaround that will allow for a diff cost for local int'l (outside the 48 states and Canada). As it is now, if they want immediate checkout, they will have to pay the express mail cost, and I don't really want to have to do that to them if Fed-Ex ground is available.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> News & System Status
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: