eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Shipping priority and first class problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoseyParkersNook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Shipping priority and first class problem Reply with quote

I have enabled both first class parcel post and priority mail in calculated shipping. I have both very lightweight (postage stamps and ephemera) and heavier items (china and glass)

My problem is that shipping shows both alternatives with Priority mail listed first. Is there anyway to get First class mail to show first as it is the logical choice for lightweight items like stamps?

Also Priority mail rates are added to the price in Google search results on items like inexpensive, lightweight stamps making the shipping look highly overpriced.

I have one other ecrater store with just postcards and have created a workable matrix so I don't have this problem but I hate to open a whole other store just to solve this problem

Thank you
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there is no reason to have calculated shipping on a first class item since they go all over the US for the same price, I would suggest that you use fixed shipping for them. Parcel post is a different mail class it isn't part of first class. If your items can fit in a Priority flat rate shipping envelope or box, they also can be fixed rate. Unless there is a huge difference in price between parcel post and Priority, I would make all of your items be Priority calculated if they don't fit under the flat rate weights and sizes. Parcel post takes longer and buyers don't like to wait.
NoseyParkersNook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought if I didn't include first class as an option in calculated shipping then it would not be offered to the customer and they would only be able to choose priority for inexpensive items like stamps or ephemera.

Also, I thought that calculated shipping overrode all other shipping. I didn't think you could use both fixed shipping and calculated priority.

I think I'll have to go study this all over again.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only the matrix for my shipping so I don't know how the calculated actually works but first class and priority flat rate are easy to do with the matrix. I don't know if you can have that as well with calculated.

Don't forget that after 13 oz first class become priority. Parcel post is an entirely different mail class.
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:

Don't forget that after 13 oz first class become priority. Parcel post is an entirely different mail class.

But there is a First Class Parcel rate which is probably what they're referring to.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it is called First Class package rate. And it means a package is bigger than a letter envelope but weighs light enough to ship via first class rates thus will go faster (or should) than parcel post). It may seem like squabling over little things, but what the USPS calls it is what you should call it. Parcel post is a different mail class than first class package rate. If you call it by what the USPS calls it, then there is no problems with customers saying they thought they were getting a different mail class.

One of the reasons that Amazon and Ebay drive me crazy when they use the term 'standard' mail. There is no such animal and yet customers are allowed to neg you if their package didn't arrive when they thought it should even though it was mailed via a mail class that is non-existent so there are no parameters for it. Rolling Eyes
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are correct. The USPS calls it First Class Package. PayPal Shipping, for whatever reason, calls it First Class Mail Parcel. That's where I got that from.
NoseyParkersNook

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First class package / parcel is for envelopes or flat mailers that are rigid or thick. It costs more than first class but not as much as parcel post. I use it a lot for postcards, photographs, posters etc. that are sent in rigid mailers.

Parcel post is for actual packages and costs a little less than priority.

In calculated postage If I don't include first class package then it doesn't get offered.

My original problem was how to get the first class option to show up first, instead of priority. When paying, some people don't think to click on the drop down box and it looks like priority is the only option. Also on Google search results, priority rates instead of first class are used for the shipping making inexpensive items such as stamps or ephemera look overly expensive which discourages buyers from clicking on them

There doesn't seem to be any way to make first class show up before priority.
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoseyParkersNook wrote:
First class package / parcel is for envelopes or flat mailers that are rigid or thick. It costs more than first class but not as much as parcel post. I use it a lot for postcards, photographs, posters etc. that are sent in rigid mailers.

First class packages can also be sent in ordinary boxes, not just mailers and envelopes. I send a few every week. Most are around 8 ounces and cost $2.60 including $0.19 for DC when I print them online. They just can't go over 13 ounces.
Quote:
My original problem was how to get the first class option to show up first, instead of priority.
There doesn't seem to be any way to make first class show up before priority.

I worried over this when I was setting up my matrix, too. If someone buys one car, I can send it First Class. If they buy 2, unless they are really light, it shoots over 13 ounces and goes to Priority. So I set up my matrix just for Priority, but it does end up looking high. It would be nice if we could have more than one in the listing because some shoppers won't click to see more. And if I put it in the listings, it becomes boilerplate and then I'm in trouble for that.

I do really love Ecrater and have no plans to leave, but I honestly feel that this is one of its weak points.
NoseyParkersNook

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I love ecrater and I'm hoping that as time goes by the shipping solutions will improve and hopefully include an invoicing system.
neweratradingpost

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MoonwishesStore"]Since there is no reason to have calculated shipping on a first class item since they go all over the US for the same price, I would suggest that you use fixed shipping for them.quote]

This is not true. Calculated shipping calculates ounces and charges accordingly, no?
zickit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="neweratradingpost"]
MoonwishesStore wrote:
Since there is no reason to have calculated shipping on a first class item since they go all over the US for the same price, I would suggest that you use fixed shipping for them.quote]

This is not true. Calculated shipping calculates ounces and charges accordingly, no?

FIRST CLASS is the same going 100 miles or 2500 miles --- that's want Moonwishes is saying. It's the same price for distance. Only weight makes a difference.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: