eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Problem with PayPal lately?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I gave in and enabled Google Checkout. I really hope it doesn't cause problems with my calculated shipping like it did last year when I tried it.

Since they are really pushing Google Checkout on buyers in the checkout process, I assume I will get less PayPal orders so this will be less of a problem. A pain for me because I really don't like Google's data downloads (PayPal's are easier to manipulate in Excel, IMO), and because I set up a new account rather than use my GCO account on this store I'm on the 10-day hold now. But better than having angry customers.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecheapskirt wrote:

Since they are really pushing Google Checkout on buyers in the checkout process, I assume I will get less PayPal orders so this will be less of a problem.

Has something changed on the checkout page for buyers to "push" Google more than before?
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it puts Google as the default and there is wording saying eCrater recommends Google. You have to choose "alternate method" before you even know PayPal is a choice.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that until you go in and manually charge the order in Google checkout, the item remains out there and someone else can buy it. Is that true?

I sold 17 more items overnight and 16 via Google checkout, but I didn't think to check to see if that is the case. Fortunately I had no two people order the same thing again.

Is there any way to automatically charge the order in Google, the way Paypal does?
homeandbodyessence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecheapskirt wrote:

Is there any way to automatically charge the order in Google, the way Paypal does?

In your Google Checkout Settings, go to Preferences, on "Order processing" page, check "Automatically authorize and charge the buyer's credit card", then click on "Save preferences".

However, while GC is checking the buyer's credit card for security and stuff which usually takes about 15 minutes or sometimes longer, the buyer or someone else can still place another order for the same item. The eCrater inventory system doesn't kick in until GC communicates back to eCrater the order has been successfully charged.
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecheapskirt wrote:
It appears that until you go in and manually charge the order in Google checkout, the item remains out there and someone else can buy it. Is that true?

I sold 17 more items overnight and 16 via Google checkout, but I didn't think to check to see if that is the case. Fortunately I had no two people order the same thing again.

As long as you have inventory control enabled the item will become hidden as soon as the buyer's credit card has been approved / passes clearance checks, etc. You do not have to manually charge the card for the inventory control to take effect.

You can set your preferences to automatically charge the order.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homeandbodyessence wrote:
thecheapskirt wrote:

In your Google Checkout Settings, go to Preferences, on "Order processing" page, check "Automatically authorize and charge the buyer's credit card", then click on "Save preferences".

However, while GC is checking the buyer's credit card for security and stuff which usually takes about 15 minutes or sometimes longer, the buyer or someone else can still place another order for the same item. The eCrater inventory system doesn't kick in until GC communicates back to eCrater the order has been successfully charged.

Awesome, thanks that was exactly what I was looking for!

I've noticed it takes them a while to check the cards. I have one here from this afternoon that has been in the "customer review in progress" stage for 1/2 hour.

If someone else orders that item before it passes, what do you tell the customer who ordered it first?
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrrrm... well I got PayPal to work right (turns out you can put any website address in your IPN notification URL area to enable them, then turn them off, PayPal ended up teaching me that one), so here I thought having both PayPal and Google Checkout would be a good thing.

But one thing I quickly found out is that even though I have a Google Merchant account with this store, they put my new store on the 10-business-day funds hold thing, which means you don't really see any $$ for 3 weeks. No problem, right? Well, they have about $1500 of my money now for the past week or so I've been using it. (I didn't expect to sell this much--my stuff is in the $20 or less range generally).

Which would be fine until I get all these people who want their stuff overnighted and Express mail is running me about $35 per package. I've probably paid out $500 in postage in the past week or two and that was more than what I had in my PayPal account.

So I actually had to turn off Google Checkout for a while until I got enough built back up in my PayPal account to pay for postage.

So I guess the lesson to learn from my bad example is don't start using Google Checkout within 2 months of your busy season. Shocked
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PP money dumps into a different account than my GCO, actually a whole different bank and my business checking account that is funded through the GCO is feeling the same pinch because all my UK orders come through PP so don't go into the account to pay business bills. Will do my bookkeeping for the month tomorrow to see how I do.

One thing you could do is buy your postage through a place like endicia where you can charge your postage as needed although I don't know if you can do express mail with them, but the other stuff you can and it puts off the postage bill until the money actually hits your bank. We live in the country and so don't offer express mail. Between the extra cost for it and the fact it takes a good hour and a half of my time to do it, they would have to pay big buck for my time as I can't give up that much time for free.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually do use Endicia. I just don't have $500 laying around. My Endicia postage is funded via my PayPal account (I live debt-free and fund all my business with with sales revenue). So, it is much easier to just turn off Google Checkout for a day or two until I have a few hundred more in my PayPal account. Seems people will buy just the same, regardless.

The hold was unfortunate... I didn't think that they would hold my funds since I've used GCO in this store for a few years now.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider paying off a credit card in full that is funding a business to be debt free also. I guess it is how you look at it. Most of my sales come through Google so I would have to use a debit card if that is possible to fund my postage. Much easier to charge it and pay in one swoop and get the reward points towards things like Christmas presents. But please note that I admire your determination to live debt free in our society. I know just how hard that is to do! As soon as our mortgage is paid off, we will be debt free too other than our card that we use for the businesses we run.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: