eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

a shipping question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MissMagpiesShoppe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: a shipping question Reply with quote

Greetings!

This will probably come across as a silly question to most of you seasoned sellers, but as I have a new shop and am learning the ropes to selling, I need to ask it.

I've chosen USPS calculated shipping. I've selected Priority Mail, Priority Mail Flat Rate and Parcel Post as the ways I'm willing to ship.

I would like to offer Media Mail for books. When the customer checks his/her available shipping rates, all of the above will show up.

My question/questions: I suppose the customer would know not to select Media Mail for anything besides books, correct? So, am I right in thinking that a message would be shown somewhere when ordering that they could not choose Media Mail for a teapot, etc?

Thanks for bearing with me.....

Smile

Ginger (Miss Magpie)
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SUPERPLUSHNSTUFF

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MissMagpie,
I have found it is difficult to combine media mail items with other items and have customers choose the right shipping. They invariably choose media mail for things like dishes, clothes, purses, etc. Putting "not available to ship media mail" did not help. I have since seperated the media mail items into a seperate store. I would strongly advise you not combine books, videos, or other items that can ship by media mail with items that can't. Just MOP.

Terry
MissMagpiesShoppe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, Terry!

You've been very helpful!

Warmly, Ginger (Miss Magpie)
cosmicray

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, keep in mind that Flat Rate Priority Mail requires that the item fit within certain box sizes. If someone chooses FRPM, and the item doesn't fit, then you have to either cancel the order, or make up the difference to ship it via regular Priority Mail.

Particularly large items may cause regular Priority Mail to shift from weight based pricing to dimensional pricing (which can cause real sticker shock).
MissMagpiesShoppe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, cosmicray, for your input!
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of sellers have posted on the forum about buyers selecting media mail for non media items. Obviously if left to the seller they will select the cheapest method.

If you intend to sell a lot of media materials I agree you need to either have a second shop or not use USPS calculated.

The priority versus flat rate is also a sticky wicket. That's the reason I use fixed price shipping. Too many variables.
MissMagpiesShoppe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info. I've truthfully been leaning towards fixed pricing shipping rates myself, but I thought that USPS calculated was more popular on eCrater.

Maybe I'm wrong. I came to this conclusion from looking at many stores on eCrater.

I appreciate all the replies I've been given!
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with the rest on trying to sell books. People even if they know better will still try to want to pay media prices. Same problem with the Priority.

I use the matrix for all my shipping. It took a day or two of studying and thinking, but haven't had a single problem with it. It however doesn't work well when you have books plus other stuff as you can't do combined shipping usually and have the money come out right.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your books are quite heavy, the cost savings for Media Mail (and even Parcel Post for that matter) aren't worth the trouble of dealing with the "where are my items" emails from buyers you will deal with for the 2-6 weeks it will take for it to arrive.

That is just my experience from selling online for 10 years.

The transit times eCrater posts on all USPS calculated shipping are unreasonable (Overnight? USPS hardly ships ANYWHERE overnight anymore, most cities--even large ones--are 2 days) and I've asked them more than once to change them, but they don't seem to care. Which is too bad, as customers are expecting Priority Mail shipments to arrive on their doorstep within a 1-3 days when they order something at 7pm on a Saturday and that's just not going to happen.
MissMagpiesShoppe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, moonwishesstore and thecheapskirt for your info, you are all so helpful!

I appreciate your advice.
SUPERPLUSHNSTUFF

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ginger,
I use calculated shipping in all my stores including the one with books. You can choose 1st Class parcel and just plain priority (no flat rate or anything) and then use the right weights in your listings and they are extremely accurate. For the books, calculated shipping, use media mail.

You can include parcel post if you want but I find the price difference is not worth it most of the time. Unless you have heavy and or oversize parcels then it is a good option.

I do believe that the estimated delivery times are from USPS not ecrater. Don't want to ruffle any feathers but that's what it says on their site.
MissMagpiesShoppe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your input!

Ginger
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: