eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Websites to Google: 'You're killing our business!'
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Websites to Google: 'You're killing our business!' Reply with quote

Google made one of the biggest changes ever to its search results this week, which immediately had a noticeable effect on many Web properties that rely on the world's biggest search engine to drive traffic to their sites.

read more = http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/25/technology/gaming_google/index.htm
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to test the change: The IP address 64.233.179.104 displays Google search results as they would have appeared before the recent algorithm change, according to several webmasters posting to the WebmasterWorld.com forum.
victorianrose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the wind must have blown, the changes keep coming. Hopefully we aren't going to suffer that much. I guess we will see.

I read the article, what can we do? Not a thing. I love how they state low quality sites. LOL
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why monopolies are bad. If Google had a grain of competition they would have to think twice about what they would lose when making changes. We are all sitting ducks because there is no one to replace them and no place where we can flee to in revolt.

comment removed off topic
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

victorianrose wrote:
I read the article, what can we do? Not a thing. I love how they state low quality sites. LOL

I think there's a lot of confusion about what is a 'low quality' site. Google was trying to address a problem with sites that were specifically trying to manipulate content and/or links, to cause them to get a higher position in google search results.

IOW, the sites in question did not let their page rank position be determined naturally, but tried to influence it artificially by injecting non-original content into their pages. Google would prefer that all sites have original content, and for search result position to occur naturally. Because of the sites that are trying to game google's search results, google had to take action (via algorithm tweaks).
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see if Amazon and Nordstroms and similar drop in the search results. Amazon has gotten particularly nasty in the categories I search in.
zickit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggiethehousecat wrote:
It will be interesting to see if Amazon and Nordstroms and similar drop in the search results. Amazon has gotten particularly nasty in the categories I search in.

Doubtful since they pay google big bucks
elpereles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I understand the reason that I can't find correctly a page I search in Google like I did some weeks ago.
GoneFunky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
I am going to have to do some more research on this- It looks as though small sites (not ecrater) will be more affected by these changes.

Google NEEDS to refine their searches- there are too many unrelated results in a search query - JMO
vintagecornerstore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Their search site is really starting to suck. Seems like it should be improving, but it just seems to get worse and worse. More and more irrelevant. I didn't use to think they could be "bought off," but am changing my mind.
GoneFunky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh trust me they CAN be bought! I've told this before, but here goes again. My hubbies company opened a manly online store last Christmas- mainly Carhartt and hunting items. The second day they had the site up and running they grossed over 10K in sales. Now we are told you have to "build" your presence in Google, build links - establish importance and such. This instant success totally blew me out of the water- how did they get to the top of the mountain especially in such a competitive market overnight? Money$$$ They paid Google big bucks to be at the top of the food chain- as I've said before Google can't be "had" but they can be bought. Rolling Eyes
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping that a lot of the irritating returns that have nothing to do with the search we entered will be eliminated. But one of the things we have to remember is that Google is constantly changing what they do, this time it was big enough that they actually told us. I haven't seen any fallout yet from the change.

Frilly, that is amazing about the store but I wonder how much they had to spend to get that 10K in sales in one day? One of my strange nightmares is to get up and find that everything has sold overnight--which could happen to any on line store! Can you imagine the scramble to get out the orders! Very Happy
GoneFunky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moon Laughing Laughing What a fabulous dream!
These guys had never had a website- most of the items were catalog stock fulfilled thru Carhartt. I was almost irritated when the hubby shared their success story- I had a large day that day and was pretty pumped at my $200+ sales for the day. Confused

I know they spend close to 10K a month to get their exposure. Maybe some day I can reach that level! Laughing

As you know I focus primarily on my website- traffic hasn't dropped tremendously, but sales have been down the past few days. Trying to figure out what Google wants and when is an ongoing event. I'm think little sites like mine will suffer the most- I get the information immediately as to where my customers come from. I am 50/50 or close to sales driven directly from Google- I refuse to be totally reliant on Google.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get a $200 day, I get pretty pumped too! Very Happy

The one thing that you can always count on with the internet is that it is always changing. So you do the best you can. I honestly don't think this lasted change was focused towards sellers and small websites, but against the nonsense websites. You know the ones where you do a search and this website pops up and you go there and there is no info and has nothing to do with what you were searching for. Someone had just dumped lots of keywords into the page to get traffic. Google WANTS websites and stores that have honest to goodness content and that is what we have here, except for the sellers with 8 character titles and less than 20 characters to 'describe' whatever it is they are listing. They might be hurt, but sellers in general, no. Maybe we will stop seeing the ads to for where to buy hemorrhoids, etc. Laughing
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
One of my strange nightmares is to get up and find that everything has sold overnight--which could happen to any on line store! Can you imagine the scramble to get out the orders! Very Happy

I would hire my neighbors to help me pack, rent a truck to get it to the post office and then truly retire. Oh joy!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: