eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Am I on the right track?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orchids

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Am I on the right track? Reply with quote

I've just spent the last 3 hours setting up SIMPLE free websites (any I can find and belive me, they're out there) with an "Enter" link that kicks to my store. Am I wasting my time? Any opinions? I'll be happy to share the ones I've listed with if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
TheCookieLadyCafe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I on the right track? Reply with quote

crazyorchidlady wrote:
I've just spent the last 3 hours setting up SIMPLE free websites (any I can find and belive me, they're out there) with an "Enter" link that kicks to my store. Am I wasting my time? Any opinions? I'll be happy to share the ones I've listed with if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

Personally...I do not think so...I would be interested in such a list!
PM me with that info PLEASE! I will begin building promo sites for eCRATER stores. Remember Promote Promote Promote & Promote again!

Josh, Jordy & The Cookie Lady…Proprietors: Purple Puppy Paws Products
orchids

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the input Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. Give me a little bit and I'll put together a list and pm you. Are you sure you have the time? I thought I'd do a banner page on each one of mine to share banners and links back and forth (if I knew how to create a banner??) for anyone interested.
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I on the right track? Reply with quote

crazyorchidlady wrote:

Thanks,

You could be wasting your time UNLESS you plan on PROMOTING every single one of them. Just having a site - whether it's one site or 100 won't mean that search engines find it.
If you have related but not exact and not mirrored sites and promote everyone of them then yes it can help you.
BUT if there is no content on the sites they have no purpose. Search engines won't find them. No content will cause the search engines not to return to the site.

Here's my site - www.BigNTallMensClothing.com
It is nothing more then an opening page to my ecrater.com store.
BUT it has content. It does appear on search engines.
I promote it everywhere allong with all my other sites.
orchids

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the input Reply with quote

In this case, I'm not looking for search engine input. I'm looking for those that "stumble" on the website or group of websites or those that use certain websites for whatever reason and find them there. My attitude is the more presence in the more locations, the more chance I have of getting a sale. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I'm after a different demographic for now. Not everyone searches for a product before they buy, I'm after the spontaneous purchaser in this particular case. I have listed my site with as many search engines I as I can locate, done what the experts recommend. I'm simply trying yet another avenue for promotion.

I do agree with you, however, that if I were using these as my only method of promotion I would have to promote every website. This is simply a free alternative.

I do appreciate you and your input, please don't take any of this the wrong way. I am grateful to all I've learned from you - weather you know it or not (I read alot and don't respond, just absorb the info).
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it
Quote:
I'm looking for those that "stumble" on the website

How does one stumble on to a website if they are not using a search engine?
TheCookieLadyCafe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be a wise____, I think sites like Stumble-upon are NOT search engines nor are my space, and blogs and Flickr all places where I see links to sites selling goods. I have "stumbled upon" eCrater through one of thoes sites mentioned. Laughing
LOVE eCRATER!

Josh, Jordy & The Cookie Lady…Proprietors: Purple Puppy Paws Products

Last edited by TheCookieLadyCafe on Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
orchids

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I must admit I'm not really sure. I found this website http://city.with.us/ because I was responding to an email from a client. In doing so, a popup came up (I don't block them) and I inadvertantly clicked on it thinking I had hit "send". I haven't traced where it came from. As it turns out it looks like there is some, albiet small, possibility for exposure. Everyone is a customer as far as I can tell and the more exposure I get, even on these rogue sites, is better than no exposure at all.

To give another example, if I"m on one website that has a link to another, and if I"m bored I'll often flip through links until I find something that catches my interest. I view the web as a huge magazine and ofen find things I want but am not looking for at the time just by browsing different sites.

I'm not suggesting in any way that this method should be one's only advertising avenue, only that its inexpensive (free) and takes me very little time to get my name out there - perhaps 10 min. per site. I'm using it in addition to the traditional methods.

I believe I read on this forum over and over "promote, promote, promote" (forgive me, I don't know who said it). I'm really want to make my business work (as I assume everyone does) so I'm going to utilize any method I can afford to advertise. I've listed on craigslist, joined web rings, and put free ads on the free classified sites. I've posted on forums of anything I can get away with. I don't want to wait 8 weeks for the engines to find me, its up to me to find my customers.

Yep, I spend hours doing it, and for now its ok. I'm single, work full time, and spend my evenings (ok and some parts of my work day) working and hopefully in the long run it will be worth it. I come home, take care of my orchids and my animals, and curl up in front of the tv with my laptop and work until I can't see anymore. I do know that I won't know if it will work or not until I try.
ljstores

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyorchidlady wrote:
Everyone is a customer as far as I can tell

I totally agree with this statement..........as individuals, it all depends on how much time we have to spend on certain types of promotion!

I agree with you...
For me...I am learning the "more productive" (which is a matter of opinion I think) ways to promote my store but if an opportunity come along that is not too difficult to implement, I would take time to "involve" myself. I dont think any of this is wasted. One link, one bit of effort, might bring you a customer that has far reaching effects for your business!
I would advocate more traditional methods (less work, more gain?) but I would never dismiss the potential of the "one offs".

LJ
Baysbeauty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see, I believe in promoting your site and or sites to search engines and
I also believe that having a myspace, & blogs are also good to drive traffic
to your site and just whatever else you can get out there. I am in the beginning
process again so I'm still learning as I go.

I know I started my website last month and within two weeks I was on
Google & Yahoo. I'm still working on it and if you would like to see it, your
can find it at www.baysbeauty.com.

This is a great place to add your url's: http://www.google.com/addurl/

By the way, I love Big N Tall Mens Website!
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By the way, I love Big N Tall Mens Website!

Thanks!

I guess I don't get the "stumble on" thing because I dont' sell stuff that folks stumble on and buy. Nor do I ever just stumble onto a site - I always search them out, shop around and compare prices.

My thought is - HEY if you got the time, energy and know how - go for it. It certainly can't hurt.
Baysbeauty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact Big & Tall, I have saved your site to my favorites as I have a tall husband and I think you just might have some items that he
might like. Nice Site!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: