eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Need help with Matrix - From Canada

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackbirdfabricsplus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: Need help with Matrix - From Canada Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm trying to set up my shipping matrix and have a few questions if someone from Canada is here please drop a line. I would prefer if a response was from someone who has set up the shipping matrix though.

If I have something that's 11 grams I would convert it to ounces to show the decimal like this 0.38801 ?

The shipping scale is in pounds - where do I put in ounces?
The shipping zones I'm ok with
The shipping matrix is also in pounds - When I do a new product listing is this where I put in the decimal 0.38801?

Is the shipping matrix going to know it's in ounces and not pounds?

Please don't send me to other post I'm just not understanding them

Thanks for your help Smile
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have two choices, the shipping matrix is by default pounds. You do not enter ounces anywhere. You enter fractions of a pound. So your packed weight (assuming 11 gms) would translate to 0.0243 pounds.

pounds = grams * 0.002204622622

pounds = kg * 2.204622622

The other way (assuming your post office wants everything in gms/kgs) is to use what I call a 'synthetic weight'. You would then use the shipping matrix to represent whatever scale you want it to. But you have to be consistent and use it like that for every listing in that store.

Typically you would pick a scale like 'large' or 'jumbo' and enter the weights in actual gms (on the product listing), then enter the shipping costs in the shipping matrix columns per your post office's listed rates. If you used 'large', you would enter the shipping cost for each 100 gm increment, for 'jumbo' each 1 kg increment.

Remember to use the packed weight, and not the net weight. You have to account for the weight of the shipping materials.
blackbirdfabricsplus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canada Post will go either way Kgs or Lbs. I've been trying to stay consistent to Kgs though.

So are you saying I could essentially take a packed product with a weight of 375 grams and put it in the weight of 0.375 Kgs? Do I put this in the product listing?
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not from Canada either, so may not be much help. But I love the matrix and I love math problems!

BigTall posted this chart for converting ounces into decimals of a pound. Using a converter site (there are oodles, just Google) or a chart like the one at http://www.asknumbers.com/OuncesToGramsConversion.aspx
you could add another column to her chart. Would that help at all? Like this -

28.35 gr = 1 oz = 0.0625 lb.
56.70 gr = 2 oz = 0.125
_______ = 3 oz = 0.1875
_______ = 4 oz = 0.25 ---- that's 1/4 of a pound
_______ = 5 oz = 0.3125
_______ = 6 oz = 0.375
_______ = 7 oz = 0.4375
_______ = 8 oz = 0.50 ---- that's is half a pound
_______ = 9 oz = 0.5625
_______ = 10 oz = 0.625
_______ = 11 oz = 0.6875
_______ = 12 oz = 0.75 ---- that's 3/4 of a pound
_______ = 13 oz = 0.8125
_______ = 14 oz = 0.875
_______ = 15 oz = 0.9375
_______ = 16 oz = 1 ---- that's 1 pound

I'm not going to fill it all in but you get the idea. Stick the chart up next to your computer and use grams but leave the matrix in pounds. You would put the decimal in column 3 in the weight field of your item if you went this way.

Do you anticipate a lot of orders like 11 grams, which is incredibly light, about a half ounce? Or do you think most of your orders will be heavier? Do Canada Post's rates go up every 100 grams or every 50 grams or how often? Questions like that will help determine how you set up your matrix. Like cosmicray says, you can use the weights literally or use "synthetic" weights. It does take fiddling around with for a while but I know you'll get it to work for you if you're patient!

Bottom line - whatever is in the weight field of your item corresponds to the numbers going across the top of the matrix. Then you put the charge for that weight down that column, country by country.

Probably I wasn't any help, but you never know--maybe somebody else just saw a light go on that they could use. Good luck with your quest and let us know how it goes!

Becky Smile
blackbirdfabricsplus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your replies Smile

I've looked and looked for BigandTall's chart and I cannot find it? Can someone direct me to where it is? I looked in FAQs area and didn't see it?

No, I just used 11 grams for an example.

Canada Post they up their prices every year around here.

I'm just thinking though - on some other online selling venues you can state

USA shipping X
Canada shipping x
International X

Then for each additional item you can charge x

Is it possible to do this with Ecrater? If so, how? It might be a whole lot easier I'm thinking?

Thanks
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackbirdfabricsplus wrote:
Thanks so much for your replies Smile

I've looked and looked for BigandTall's chart and I cannot find it? Can someone direct me to where it is? I looked in FAQs area and didn't see it?

It's the chart that I pasted into my reply and added the blanks in front for grams. If you want to see where she posted it first, it's at http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=2461 - scroll down toward the bottom of the page.
Quote:

Canada Post they up their prices every year around here.

Laughing Sounds like USPS! I think they are permitted to have 2 raises per year.
Quote:

USA shipping X
Canada shipping x
International X

Is it possible to do this with Ecrater? If so, how? It might be a whole lot easier I'm thinking?

Ecrater only permits us to list a fixed shipping charge to the US and Canada. For international shipping, the only options are the matrix and the USPS calculator, which is only for US sellers. For sellers outside the US, I don't think there are any other options, sorry. I know that some just add the shipping into the price of the item and make it "free" shipping. I believe that's what Maggie the Cat does; she's in Canada, too.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackbirdfabricsplus wrote:

USA shipping X
Canada shipping x
International X

Thanks

The link in blue above is not Big Tall's chart but does give every increment.

Wouldn't that be lovely?
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat wrote:

The link in blue above is not Big Tall's chart but does give every increment.

Not sure what I messed up .... Let me try again.

This link is to one of many internet charts which convert ounces to grams -
http://www.asknumbers.com/OuncesToGramsConversion.aspx

This link contains a post by BigTall in which she converted ounces to decimals of a pound; it's the 13th post down the page -
http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=2461

I hope that is clearer.
blackbirdfabricsplus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I've been playing around with things......

Like this

1 metre = 161 grams so it should be .5 of a pound because 161 grams is closer to .5 of a pound.

2 metres = 298 grams so it should be .75 of a pound because it's 298 and closer to .75 of a pound.

3 metres = 466 grams so it should be 1.25 of a pound because it's 466 and closer to 1.25 of a pound.

4 metres = 586 grams so it should be 1.5 of a pound because it's 586 and closer to 1.5 of a pound.

5 metrea = 752 grams so it should be 1.75 of a pound because it's 752 and closer to 1.75 of a pound.

6 metres = 928 grams so it should be 2.25 of a pound because it's 928 and closer to 2.25 pounds

7 metres = 1095 grams so it should be 2.25 of a pound because it's 1095 and closer to 2.25 pounds

8 metres = 1262 grams so it should be 2.5 of a pound because it's 1262 and closer to 2.5 pounds

For a book:
1 book = 655 grams so it should be 1.5 of a pound because it's 655 and closer to 1.5 pounds

Am I doing this correctly?

Also, do I put in the weight as this in each column?....

1 for (1 lb.) or
161 for (161 grams) or
0.161 for (0.161 kgs)

2.5 for (2.5 lb.) or
1262 for (1262 grams) or
1.262 for 1.262 kgs)

Etc.

One other thing, do I put that weight into the each listing too and in the shipping matrix??
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: