eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

How to know when you're losing it and when it is gone.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: How to know when you're losing it and when it is gone. Reply with quote

Forgetfulness. The older generation doesn't pass this information on to their offspring. Of course they probably forgot to. What I forget never ceases to amaze me. Here is the latest puzzle.

Three days ago I finished measuring a scarf I was listing. The dressmaker's tape measure I use is always kept with my other items needed when listing. I have no use for it anywhere else.

So the next day I went to measure another scarf I was listing but couldn't find the tape. I searched all around.
Did it slide between the sofa cushions? No.
Did the cat take it and drag it behind the sofa? No.
Did I absentmindedly carry it to the kitchen or bedroom? No.

I searched everywhere for about an hour. It wasn't even in the trash, the freezer or bag of clothing I'm collecting to donate. Finally I gave up and did something else. Hours later as I was going to bed, I saw the tape just lying someplace and I thought how stupid of me not to have looked there. I just left it and went to bed.

Woke up in the morning and first thing that entered my mind was now where did I see that tape measure? Two days later and I still can't remember where I saw it nor have I come across it again.

Please share your lapses so I don't feel so bad.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
hocadobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Senior Safari - I go there regularly; so you are not alone. It is so irritating to have to re-find the thing you just found, but what a sweet surprise when it eventually turns up. Just tell yourself that surely you have NOT thrown it out and perhaps the cat has it after all.
Periwinkles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel bad. I've lost things that are right in front of my nose. I look all over for it and end up later finding it just where I looked. I sometimes think it's my husband moving it trying to drive me crazy. It gets truly aggravating but at least it's not life threatening yet. Very Happy
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had just refilled some prescriptions and I was just taking the pills out of the bottle, instead of my pill case. Then one disappeared, I spent two days looking for it, under the couch, in the couch, I went through my trash. Couldn't find it anywhere. I finally gave in and called to refill it a second time. I explained that I had lost the bottle.

Went I went on to pick it up, they said I hadn't refilled it yet this month. I take a lot of pills, and do everything in a set manner because I know my memory is bad. I have no idea why I thought I refilled it.

Just know you are not alone. Surprised
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never make light of a disease, but have you seen that commercial for the woman who puts her car keys in the refrigerator? I have reached the point where, when I lose something, the first 2 places I look are in the refrigerator and on the back of the toilet! Embarassed Probably means I'm not only getting old, but I eat too much!!

Still trying to find my $229 iPod that I was carrying from room to room using the timer and listening to music while I made trash in each room. So afraid the iPod went out in a black bag! Sad
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtcollectibles wrote:
I would never make light of a disease, but have you seen that commercial for the woman who puts her car keys in the refrigerator? I have reached the point where, when I lose something, the first 2 places I look are in the refrigerator and on the back of the toilet! Embarassed Probably means I'm not only getting old, but I eat too much!! Sad

My father used to go to the refrigerator first when something was missing that my mother would have handled. Seemed her favorite place to stash things.

I still haven't located the tape. I'm starting to think I dreamed finding it. This is really a very small apartment. Nothing new has come into the place since I lost it and nothing has gone out except mailed packages and they were either too small or too flat to have allowed the insertion of the tape.

Thanks everyone for your support. The things mothers don't explain to their daughters. My sister and I laugh about it but only half heartedly. It is nervous laughter...like should we be laughing or crying. She's older but at least when she goes to the kitchen to prepare a meal it ends up on the table. I forget why I'm there and get a drink of water and return to whatever I was doing before.
WellspringChakra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was getting ready to leave the house and patted my left pocket for my keys--they weren't there! I looked all over, called the family to help out. Then DH walked into the room, looked puzzled, and said "look in your right hand". Now I alway check my hand first.

A note of comfort: I complained about this to my doctor. She responded that this was quite normal for my age and not to worry unless I forget what keys are FOR!
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have many safe places in my house. I have many items in safe places.
I have many items I haven't found because they are in a safe place.

I used to be the church treasurer. A few months ago, there was a statement in the mail and I couldn't tell what it was for from the statement. So I called the company and asked. The woman told me what was on the invoice and offered to send me a copy. I told her no, I had seen the invoice (now that I knew what it was) but I had no clue where I had put it. She laughed, said she had the same problem...
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the tape measure. Way down under a sofa seat cushion in the crevice. Soooo....obviously when I thought I had found it before, I must have dreamed it.
yourjunkdrawer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been losing it for sveral years
CollectHappy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking all over house for Boo, our maltese yesterday morning. It was time for him to go out, and he wasn't anywhere to be found. I walked out to check weather, and there he was, waiting at the front steps....Oh yes!!! I had let him out before I made the coffee, when I usually make the coffee while he's out. I have to stick to routine, or I'm lost!!
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have to be a senior, just a hoarder. Been making great effort this summer to fight what has become something of a sickness. It's amazing what you can find (and how very much less cursing) when you aren't buried in THINGS. Don't ask me why I chose the hottest part of the year to clean house. It just happened. But yeah, lost it? Not sure I ever had it.
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half an hour ago I poured mineral water into a glass. I can't find it. Have looked in the fridge, sink all table and countertops, all rooms, even the glass cupboard in case I put it there.

You have to understand most of my horizontal surfaces are so loaded with papers, books and boxes of stuff to be listed that there aren't many places I could have put it that wouldn't have resulted in a crash....and I didn't hear one.
sandysgingham

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To know the difference between ordinary memory loss and Alzheimer's is:

When you can't find your keys--ordinary memory loss

When you have your keys in your hand but don't know what they're for--Alzheimer's

I'm not making light of memory loss at all. It's good to be aware of a few Alzheimer's symptoms. When to check with your doctor. The earlier you're diagnosed, the sooner you can start medication.

I have an Alzheimer's Website--
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with normal memory loss is that you waste so much of your day looking for mislaid things that aren't really mislaid at all. I did find the glass of water eventually...on top of a bookcase of cookbooks. After all that time it was warm and flat.

Now I have to go have that coffee I made half an hour ago and forgot to drink.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: