eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Page won't fully load
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dahawaiiankinestore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I leave my desktop on for too many days in a row I start to have problems. I solved it by restarting the computer every 4 days or so.
SomethingOld

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that suggestion. I think it is probably a good one. Hitting the CTRL button and refreshing doesn't work every time. The only thing that does is tapping the refresh icon.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
aspencounty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a case of Contectile Dysfunction Shocked

There can be a couple of reasons you are experiencing extra slow pages loads. It may not be noticable on all sites. Some sites, depending on server load may seems to load a lot slower that others.

Your ISP may have toggled your service if you used more than their allotted amount of bandwidth in a period of time. I use AT&T and they are very bad about this. I spent an hour on the phone with them complaining about my bandwidth appearantly being throttled back during "peak hours" Also, from time to time the DSL connection will become out of sync. Normally, a reboot of the modem will help this.

You might be running more programs at one time than your computer can handle. Sometime applications are running in the back ground that you aren't aware of.The only way to check this is look at your running applications and stop any you can identify as unnecessary.

You may have a case of malware going on. Run your spyware/malware application (s). I use SpyBot and Adware and run both of them every day or two

You might need to empty your cookies, cache and reboot to refresh your computer. Overtime your computer will store other files that aren't removed by this method. Here's good "free tool" to clean junk files like index.dat files and other junk that builds up. I use this each time right before I shut down my computer.

http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

You might need to defrag your computer.

Your memory (Ram) may be going bad or simply not sufficiant. Depending on your computer and how much you use it, these "memory sticks" are prone to overheating and braking down.Now this one costs a bit but in my opinion it's well worth the small investment. It may or may not directly affect your download speeds, but it will certainly help run other stuff.

The easiest solution to first try is emptying your cookies, cache and reboot. Run some kind of system cleaning app. Defrag your computer if it needs it.Reboot your moden again.If this does not solve anything or only has minimal results, run a malware removal program.

Lastly, consider upgading to more memory.
SomethingOld

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 17.3 GB used space; 52.5 free space, so that isn't the problem. I clean the cookies, cache, so that isn't the problem. Maybe the spybot and adware will help. I will have to check that out.
Thanks very much for your help.
Alice
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: