eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

combined shipping with flat rate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnM4Entertainment

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: combined shipping with flat rate Reply with quote

We sell all sorts of items and the calculator is not allways accurate for what we need( sometimes there is a oversize charge or other extras).
Is it against ecrater rules/policy to creat a new listing for a customer with all the items they purchased with the total ship charge?
I dont think it is but I would like to be sure before we offer this option to our customer.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just one opinion, but I would send the customer a PayPal invoice (click the Request Money tab in PayPal) for the total of all their items including shipping. I'm not sure how that would be handled in Google checkout if you offer that (I don't).

It seems as if that would be a lot less trouble than creating a special listing. If I understand you correctly, the items have already been picked out by the buyer? Just tell them to pay from the invoice you send which will have the correct shipping on it.

Just my opinion! Smile
SnM4Entertainment

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats an interesting option we did not think about. We will check out the paypal options.
creating the new listing at least isnt real hard either.
thanks por the help and the quick response.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: combined shipping with flat rate Reply with quote

SnM4Entertainment wrote:
We sell all sorts of items and the calculator is not allways accurate for what we need( sometimes there is a oversize charge or other extras).

If the customer selected Google Checkout (and you have your GCO account set to do manual charges), then just charge a lesser amount.

If the customer selected PayPal (and has already sent payment), you can do a partial refund without a fee penalty.
SnM4Entertainment

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup he allready paid for the first item so we offered him the "refund the remainder option" that seems to be the easyiest way for this customer. thanks.
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: combined shipping with flat rate Reply with quote

SnM4Entertainment wrote:
Is it against ecrater rules/policy to creat a new listing for a customer with all the items they purchased with the total ship charge?

YES it is
every listing must be an product for sale.
shipping is not a product

besides ... how you going to know the shipping for the items? I mean I don't get it. Did the customer email you and say, I want this that and the other thing? If so ... why not just send them a PayPal or Google Checkout invoice directly. Then go manually remove the items from your inventory on ecrater?
treasuresofthepast

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: combined shipping with flat rate Reply with quote

bigtallmensclothing wrote:

every listing must be an product for sale.
shipping is not a product

Shipping IS a product - specifically an "intangible" product or service which I think can be offered on ecrater along with other service listings.
ecrater-moon
forum admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: combined shipping with flat rate Reply with quote

treasuresofthepast wrote:

Shipping IS a product - specifically an "intangible" product or service which I think can be offered on ecrater along with other service listings.

This is not correct. Shipping can't be listed as a separate item, service or add on. All shipping costs should be included in the product listing.

em
SnM4Entertainment

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. I think some of you miss understood..
The customer sent me an email and told me the items he wanted. So I can figure out the ship cost.
I was just thinking i would relist with both of those items to include the requested ship cost and not to list a ship price as an item. Some peaple get a little uneasy when they receive am email and/or invioice from another site other than where they are buying and I dont blame them.

however in this case the customer has already paid for the one item so i will just let him pay for the other one and refund the difference. He had not paid at the time i posted the question but paid while I was waiting the response.

i got my answers though thanks to all for the responses.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make a note underneath every item that I have listed to sell, that tells my buyers how to request a discounted shipping rate for orders of 2 or more items, and that I will email them an invoice for the new total via Paypal. I still do not know how to do this through GCO, so I only offer discounted shipping invoices through PP at the moment. Paypal allows you to type in the name plus a small description for each item that was ordered, along with the original order number that was assigned by ecrater as some customers will place an order and forget about it not 10 minutes later, and then wonder what in the heck they are receiving an invoice for, so it helps to note each item that was ordered and the price of each item when sending an invoice. Most customers will pay through your invoice but a few buyers may decide to cancel the sale because they just don't trust paying through an email and to them, it has "fraud" written all over it.

I've seen other sellers create a listing with discounted totals for buyers that say "DO NOT PURCHASE THIS LOT, these items have been reserved for M. Canterbury so this buyer may pay for their entire order with a discounted shipping rate all in one place". I don't actually know if it's against ecrater policy because I see other sellers doing this all day long. Now, If you created seperate listings for specialized shipping costs that buyers could simply add to their carts because the option to discount shipping charges cannot be done directly through the ecrater checkout, this could cause a problem. I had a lady buy 1 item from my store and 3 items from another seller's store. The other seller created a specialized shipping cost listing for buyers that purchase 5 or more items so they could pay the correct price up front without having to mess with a paypal invoice or request a refund for the discounted amount. This buyer did not know that only one of her items was ordered from my store and she decided to write me a nasty email asking why I double charged her for shipping because she was charged for the 3 items from the other seller's store, plus shipping for the item from my store. She thought all of her items came from my store because the other seller never even bothered to send her an order confirmation and I did. She assumed that since I was the only person who sent her an order confirmation email, that she must have ordered all of her items from me and I had to explain to her that she added items to her cart from multiple stores. It can cause problems for other sellers because some buyers will assume that your personalized shipping rate listing is applicable for all of the items that they order, even the items added to their cart that were not purchased from your store.
RustyFarmall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: combined shipping with flat rate Reply with quote

SnM4Entertainment wrote:
I dont think it is but I would like to be sure before we offer this option to our customer.

The shipping calculator is very accurate, provided you have entered the correct weights for each item. Just allow the calculator to do what it was designed to do using USPS priority, and then if all the items purchased in a single transaction can be shipped in a flat rate box, you simply deduct the difference when you charge the card. You DO need to set it up so that you manually charge the card, rather than having it be charged instantly.
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: combined shipping with flat rate Reply with quote

RustyFarmall wrote:
You DO need to set it up so that you manually charge the card, rather than having it be charged instantly.

That is a cool feature but I think the OP is like me and uses PayPal. I don't think there's a way to do that with PP, just Google. If it can be done with PP, hopefully someone will clue me in because there are times that it would be nice to do a manual charge as opposed to a refund.

Fortunately, the matrix works for me so my shipping combines automatically and is just what I want 99% of the time.
RustyFarmall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: combined shipping with flat rate Reply with quote

wtcollectibles wrote:
RustyFarmall wrote:
You DO need to set it up so that you manually charge the card, rather than having it be charged instantly.

That is a cool feature but I think the OP is like me and uses PayPal. I don't think there's a way to do that with PP, just Google. If it can be done with PP, hopefully someone will clue me in because there are times that it would be nice to do a manual charge as opposed to a refund.

Fortunately, the matrix works for me so my shipping combines automatically and is just what I want 99% of the time.

I guess I never thought of that, but then I dropped Pay Pal quite some time ago, and never lost a customer because of it.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: combined shipping with flat rate Reply with quote

RustyFarmall wrote:
I guess I never thought of that, but then I dropped Pay Pal quite some time ago, and never lost a customer because of it.

I'd consider dropping PP, other than the smaller number of PP orders I receive are funding the PP balance that I use to generate postage there. Every now and then the PP balance will get high enough that I feel safe to do a withdrawal (and still have funds for postage), but only during busy times of the year.
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I respect that and know that every seller does what s/he thinks is best for the business. I would hope I haven't lost a customer because of the payment processor, but who knows how people's minds work??? Personally, I've never seen the need for an alternative to PayPal. I have no bad associations with PP and can't imagine a scenario where a buyer would care as long as they can pay for their purchase.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: