eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Google just pushed me over the edge......
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Google just pushed me over the edge...... Reply with quote

A few weeks ago I received an email from Google about the new tax laws...blah, blah. I needed to update my info. Turned out I had to provide GCO with the exact name I use on my taxes. I updated this info. I received a 2nd similar email and it said if I didn't update my info by 10/25 my account would be disabled or something. For whatever reason GCO wasn't accepting my info I don't know. But since it appeared my account would be disabled on 10/25 I removed GCO from my listings.

Now just a short while ago I went to check my Google Analytics and I HAD to provide my birth date before it would let me continue. It said something about needing it to somehow do something....some nonsense that I didn't need or want to be a part of. But since I HAD to put something in there to continue I typed in 01/01/01 and my account was immediately disabled since I was not 13 or older......LOL. To re-enable my account (and the only reason I had ANY desire to do this is because I still have payouts coming and with my account disabled I don't believe I'd get them???) I had 3 choices....2 of which involved providing a legal government ID. The 3rd was to provide a credit card that they would charge 30 cents to. 30 cents...who cares....it's the principle and all their other crap....had enough.

So if anyone is asked for a birthday make sure you're 13 or over.......LOL.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
asuwishshop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I have received two of these tax emails also. I logged on and made sure my name and social were on there as requested yet I still got a reminder email after doing so. I really do not want to get disabled.

I have been wondering how I will know that they have everything they need from me before the cut off. There is nothing on the site that says I'm ok. Plus they are very difficult/impossible to reach to find out.

I want to continue to use google check out so I need to be sure that I am compliant with all the information they are requesting. The only other details I see is they want a business name and EIN which I do not have/use being I am not making 20,000 a year. I figured it would be best to just use my name and social until I reach that point.

I wonder if everyone is getting these emails even if they are ready/complying?

Could you tell if you were compliant? Why did you remove them until you knew for sure? I'd hate to see you miss out on sales. Most of mine come through there vs paypal.
GoneFunky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay this is way too funny!

I am hoping EC enables another payment option at which time I will be kicking GCO to the curb, heck I might do it anyway.
G has gone mad and I prefer not to feed their power addiction!
GCO is pathetic as a payment processor, with NO customer support! Mad
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jigsaw, you should have replied that you meant the 20th century. 01-01-01 could also mean Jan. 1, 1901.
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggiethehousecat wrote:
Jigsaw, you should have replied that you meant the 20th century. 01-01-01 could also mean Jan. 1, 1901.

I actually entered it as 01/01/2001 so too late for that....LOL. It's one PITA thing after another with Google. This birthday thing said something like "matching me up with something" or "finding similar something". WHAT! With a birth date? C R A P ! Oh please......
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frillypad wrote:
I am hoping EC enables another payment option at which time I will be kicking GCO to the curb, heck I might do it anyway.

If they do, Moneybookers would be my first choice/suggestion. That would solve my needs for GBP/AUD payments, without dragging PP into the mix.

And yeah, I got the same two emails. So that suggests that either something at GCO is broken, or else they sent two deliberately to make sure that everyone got the message loud and clear.

No matter what payment method you use, I think the same information will be required.
Periwinkles

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't gotten any such message from them and I have 6 accounts. Weird.
snowflakememories

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asuwishshop wrote:
Hello. I have received two of these tax emails also. I logged on and made sure my name and social were on there as requested yet I still got a reminder email after doing so. I really do not want to get disabled.

I have been wondering how I will know that they have everything they need from me before the cut off. There is nothing on the site that says I'm ok. Plus they are very difficult/impossible to reach to find out.

I want to continue to use google check out so I need to be sure that I am compliant with all the information they are requesting. The only other details I see is they want a business name and EIN which I do not have/use being I am not making 20,000 a year. I figured it would be best to just use my name and social until I reach that point.

I wonder if everyone is getting these emails even if they are ready/complying?

Could you tell if you were compliant? Why did you remove them until you knew for sure? I'd hate to see you miss out on sales. Most of mine come through there vs paypal.

This is exactly my situation, I wonder if I'm in compliance or not, I've added my legal name, as filed with IRS, they already have my SSN and Business name, but still received the second notice.
GoneFunky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmicray wrote:
frillypad wrote:

If they do, Moneybookers would be my first choice/suggestion. That would solve my needs for GBP/AUD payments, without dragging PP into the mix.

And yeah, I got the same two emails. So that suggests that either something at GCO is broken, or else they sent two deliberately to make sure that everyone got the message loud and clear.

No matter what payment method you use, I think the same information will be required.

ProPay is what many sites are now using, including WeePay, accepts International payments as well.
I've been with them for over 3 years since I removed GCO from my website! Laughing
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frillypad wrote:
ProPay is what many sites are now using

There are a number of credit card processors like ProPay, but they all charge a monthly/annual fee...ProPay's is about $50/yr...plus transaction fees plus, sometimes, money transfer and other fees plus various restrictions. Credit card processors are great but there are out of reach of some sellers.

GCO is not perfect, certainly...tho it doesn't seem unreasonable to want to know a customer's name for financial transactions...but its fees are not outrageous and it allows small sellers to take credit cards, one of the few things Google as a corporation actually does right for "little guys."
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sales don't support a ProPay account either. They have the option at ArtFire but even with a site discount it is too rich for my blood. I only have 1 or 2 sales a month there anyhow....and not many more here of recent months.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got two of those letters also and have made sure the info is correct. Hope it all works out.
GoneFunky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally signed up with ProPay thru an Etsy link, I believe it was $40 for a year. My PayPal and ProPay payments are probably 50/50. Some people just don't like PayPal or any type payment processors like GCO or Amazon, they just want to put in their CC info and be done with it.

I would love to see another payment option besides GCO...
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frillypad wrote:
Some people just don't like PayPal or any type payment processors like GCO or Amazon

Granted. I won't go anywhere near PayPal, don't buy from sellers who offer no other option, and fully accept that I may lose sales for not offering it. Feel pretty much the same about Amazon. But the credit card processors like ProPay are geared to bigger fish than the average mom-and-pop online seller taking in a bit extra to help pay the bills...if a seller can afford it, more power to them...and when online selling took off, they didn't bother to compete with PayPal for the little guy's business. They don't need to. GCO did compete...and for all its warts, for all the petty annoyances like asking for your name, GCO is an easy-to-use system that lets even small sellers accept credit cards, pays out quickly, has not (yet) earned PayPal's negative reputation, and is one of the few Google products that tilts more toward pro-user than pro-corporation.

frillypad wrote:
they just want to put in their CC info and be done with it.

That's what I want to do, too. And I'm always kinda touched when a customer takes an extra few minutes to sign up with GCO just so they can buy from my stores. But in practice, signing up with GCO as a first-time buyer is not too diff. than entering your name, address, and credit card info on any other site that uses a credit card processor.

frillypad wrote:
I would love to see another payment option besides GCO...

That would be great. Revolution Money Exchange seemed like a reasonable, seller-friendly option. But it was not supported by eCrater, and a yr or so ago it was bought by AmEx, renamed Serve, and changed in focus.
thewrightbiz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Cute dog Reply with quote

frillypad wrote:
Okay this is way too funny!

G has gone mad and I prefer not to feed their power addiction!
GCO is pathetic as a payment processor, with NO customer support! Mad

Every site from Ebay to AMZ is asking for this tax information. You have to read and know the IRS code to know what's happening. I read on another board (AMZ) that the IRS has been collecting "transaction" information since 2008, but just now asking for 1099s on sales 20,000 AND 200 sales.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: