eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Seasonal items Turend Specialty Items
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moonlightpotionsandlotions

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Seasonal items Turend Specialty Items Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

We took everyone comments about the fact that we had out "Floofies", "Bath Comets" , & "Bath potion Crystals" under seasonal and thought real hard about it. then decided that you all were right.

The seasonal section is now called Specialty Items. We still offer the three products mentioned above but we also have a section labled. "seasonal items (Spring)"

So now when it turns summer we shall make it say "Seasonal items (Summer)"

We offer items in there with the scents of spring, summer, fall, winter in their corresponding seasons.

What do you think of this?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
zickit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do you think of this?

I think you are spending alot of time on categories names.
#1 category names are not searchable.
#2 the are only useful if the buyer knows by the category name what they will find within that category.

So in my opinion, a cateogry name like "Seasonal items (Summer)"
tells me as a customer nothing in regard to what type of items I will find in that category.
So I don't see a use for it.
ESPECIALLY, if the item would fall into another category you all ready have listed. And since ecrater.com terms are clear that you can't list the same item 2 times (to put the item in 2 cateories), I don't see the point.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with big and tall. Your items sound like bath products and would get a lot more attention if they were listed under bath products and not seasonal.

For me seasonal items would be sun hats and bathing suits for summer, flower seeds and gardening gloves for spring, rakes and pumpkin carvers in autumn.

Seasonal items would be more associated with holidays and activities of that particular season. People take baths all year long or at least I hope they do.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTallMensClothing wrote:
#1 category names are not searchable.

They aren't through eCrater but they are through Google. I found this out a while back and was pretty pleased about it. Google can find the cat name either from the category page itself or from the item pages.

So that's even more of a reason to put items in categories that best fit them.

Exceptions, I guess, might be holiday-specific stuff. For instance, a category for "Mother's Day" to try and catch the searches. But you'd have to be sure people are more likely to search for the category name over the product name in order for it to work. Also, categories like that should only be temporary.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Thank you all for those... comments.

I do want to clear somethign up and I do not want to sound rude so if I do please disregard it.

1: We care about category items. If I, for an example, do not see a title of a category that catches my eye I do not go in it. Unless I have been intrigued and know exactly what I am going after and then I search for that PARTICULAR item. Not even paying attention to anything else.

2: We already have tons of people looking in it.

3: You fail to realize that the main category says specialty items. So what do you expect to find in there? Curious? thats what we were hoping for. Seasonal is under specialty items for a reason. We want the curious to be curious. we want to invoke their curiosity.

4: These items are not offered anywhere else. they fizz in the water. the regular bath salts that we offer year round do not. and these Effervescent Bath Salts have the scents of the seasons. We only offer tulip, dogwood, apple blossom, narcissus, azalea, etc. during Spring. During summer we shall offer Cactus Flower, Cotton Blossom, Milk & Honey, Yuzu. And So on.

Does it make sense now?

I do not want to offend but I DID want to clarify why we have it this way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Thank you Poopsheet for your comment.

I did not see it before I posted.

Yes google can search the catagories which makes me very happy because it helps people find us if they are curious.

^_^ Thank you so very much for your comments everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a search I did using Google.

Seasonal Items : Bizzy Fizz, A Spa Experience at Home
Bath Fizzies (26) Seasonal Items (11) SPRING IS HERE (Cool Lotion Bars/Lotions (5) Lip Butter/Gloss (2) Face (4) For Men (6) For Baby! (7) Specialty Items (7) ...
bizzyfizz.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5 - 29k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Now this link (below) is what I got seaching for "moonlightpotionsandlotions"

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22moonlightpotionsandlotions%22&hl=en&start=0&sa=N&filter=0

Does this help explain anything?
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonlightpotionsandlotions wrote:

No. Do potential buyers get that specific when searching? I don't think so. Just because you think that way, doesn't mean the buyer will or will understand what you are talking about. A Ph.d. in intuition is not a requirement for shopping online. Your search terms used words you knew were in your store. The potential buyer doesn't know your pet words, will use generic words and narrow the results.

I looked at your shop and saw only bath/massage items. I don't understand what comfort items are or how they differ from the other bath products. Is Comfort a brand name?

Since all your products are bath/massage, I don't see your need for so many subcategories. The fewer categories the more of your items people will see. Scented or unscented is good as many people look for unscented and will search for that. Or break down according to scent as many people have a favorite and would want a whole range of items in lily or lilac or whatever.

I do think your sample bags are a great idea and should encourage people to give your products a try. But the comfort bags would be better listed as grab bags or surprise bags. Comfort just doesn't say anything.

Something I found missing from your descriptions is a reason to buy your products over any other. Are they all natural? Do you make them yourself? Animal testing? Etc.
zickit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bath Fizzies (26) Seasonal Items (11) SPRING IS HERE (Cool Lotion Bars/Lotions (5) Lip Butter/Gloss (2) Face (4) For Men (6) For Baby! (7) Specialty Items (7) ...
bizzyfizz.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5 - 29k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Now this link (below) is what I got seaching for "moonlightpotionsandlotions"

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22moonlightpotionsandlotions%22&hl=en&start=0&sa=N&filter=0

I have to agree with thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat
WHAT buyers search is what you need to THINK about -- not what you search.
ONLY those that know you will search for moonlightpotionsandlotions so that search don't really matter. Because they already know you and your product. You need to focus on buyers that have not yet found you and what you can do to help them find you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here it is and I will post this as calmly and as clearly as I am able.

"Comfort" is a state of mind, that with these items we aim to help you achieve. Yes they are bath and body products, No comfort is not a brand name. though it is a home brand name if you get what I mean.

"Hand made" we make this by hand, no machines, no retail bought, no wholesale bought, this is made one ingredient at time.

"Natural" AS stated in the FAQ (as is the above statement) these are made as naturally as the ingredients come.

"Animal testing" Unless you count testing on ourselves as animal testing, Then NO there is NOT any animal testing.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here it is and I will post this as calmly and as clearly as I am able.

Do you feel threatened or offended by the advice you're asking for?

I think the point of this advice:

Quote:
Something I found missing from your descriptions is a reason to buy your products over any other. Are they all natural? Do you make them yourself? Animal testing? Etc.

is that you'd benefit by having as much of that kind of info in each description as possible. A whole lot of people are not going to look at the FAQ.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poopsheet wrote:

Do you feel threatened or offended by the advice you're asking for?

is that you'd benefit by having as much of that kind of info in each description as possible. A whole lot of people are not going to look at the FAQ.

Quite honestly, Yes, in some ways I feel VERY threatened by some of their comments. and I think I have a right to be.

But Also I want people to UNDERSTAND mama-sans store.

Now that last part about the animal testing and stuff. Yeah I took that as a shot. and SO did mama-san, my boyfriend, & my mother when they read it.

So I am not the only ones that think that the way they right in response to MOST of what I say ANYWHERE I say it is a threat.

Do you not feel the hostility? Where you shown this when you first arrived? Is everyone treated like this?

Here is my thought. If you ask for help you should receive it kindly, accurately, and fairly. not be yelled at, shot down, or anything. and it seems thats all that has been happening since the second I arrived.

Ok yes the very first week I have no excuses other than I do not know why most of it just irritated me. BUT when I apologized that topic was locked. no one was allowed to reply also it was not deleted so anyone that sees it now sees me as a bad person am I right? NEXT I tried to be kind. I thanked everyone I listened fairly to everyones suggestions. I changed Mama-Sans store with each suggestion, advice, tip...

I have tried to take these comments and look at the silver lining but no matter what it says. I tried to be kind, courteous, and to acknowledge everyone.

I realize YES I got off on the wrong foot. and this is probally going to be shot down as well and locked or it may cause more problems for me in the long run.

But I was raised to voice my opinion and here it is.

A lot of people on here do not like others asking questions, suggesting ideas, or even talking in general.

NO this is not aimed at just one person. Just my thoughts, opinions and concerns.

I hope that this helps explain why I am so defensive. and maybe It will help make a truce between me and those that obviously do not like me.
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you ask for help you should receive it kindly, accurately, and fairly. not be yelled at, shot down, or anything. and it seems thats all that has been happening since the second I arrived.

Yes, if you ask for help you should receive it kindly, accurately and fairly.
You have never been yelled at, shot down or anything else. People make suggestions to you and you seem to always reply with an excuse why you can't or won't do it etc.

Why you do with your business is just that - your business. You ask for help, suggestion etc. You can take them or leave them. No reason to explain yourself or talk about mama-sans for any reason at all. It's her business or your business - it's not ours. We are just TRYING our best to offer you FREE OF CHARGES years of online selling experience. You don't want it? then don't ask for it.
BUT don't waste the time of those willing to help if you are not willing to hear the ideas and suggestions they offer.

Sounds to me like you take forums personally. That is your first mistake. NOTHING online is personal.

There are many personalities here. And not everyone is into sugar coating things or telling you everything is great when infact it's not.

Quote:
when I apologized that topic was locked.

Becuase this is not the place for such a posting. Not to mention I seen no reason for you to post such a thing. I did not delete it because I felt for some reason you felt it was necessary to post it.
I felt there was no need for anyone to comment to it.

Please read the forum rules.
Insulting posts, rudeness and personal attacks will not be tolerated
poopsheet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonlight, the way asking for advice online goes is:

1. You ask.
2. You get responses.
3. You take what you can use and ignore the rest.
2BOYSandTOYS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonlight - I'm a perfect 'example' for your store - I'm a low maintenance gal and I'm so 'outa touch' with pampering/comfort and relaxation (not in my dictionary).

I took a look at your store and love the store front - great colors and nice intro. You may want to check your last point - there's a - and I don't know if it is intended or not!

I did go to your FAQ, and you've got some great stuff! A few things you may want to consider adding include - shipping policy (when you ship and how you ship) and also a guarantee (if you have one, if not what you do about returns).

I would suggest also that you proof your writing and look for punctuation, capitalization, etc. I saw a few things that I would change or possibly re-write. I often ask others to 'proof' my things - as I'm famous for putting from and form in the wrong place!

Now - to the categories....being that I've admitted I'm a numpty when it comes to the majority of your items, they didn't 'overwhelm me' or 'wow me'. They did tho spark my curiosity, as you wanted.

Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF) ------- organize your store as it works for you and your customers. Be sure that you title and describe your items 'as if' your potential customer is an 'numpty' as I. And - just keep working away to go with what works!

A more longer version of what 'Poop' says above me!!! If you're not convinced the advice her is helpful, just pass it by!

Best of sales to you!

Erin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: