eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

need to print smaller shipping label

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bookooguru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: need to print smaller shipping label Reply with quote

I need to change the output size of the paypal shipping label before it prints. The current output size is 4 x 6 inches, and I need a little smaller, about 3 x 4.5 inches. I have received packages from other sellers with similar labels that are smaller than the standard 4 x 6, but I have tried everything I can think of and I can't seem to find the correct setting. Anyone that can help, thanks so much. Ramona
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly I changed the size of the label in my printer settings.
hocadobi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an interesting post on printing your shipping labels smaller and why it is not recommended:
http://blog.auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2010/8/1283129166.html
Good luck!
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a dymo printer that prints out my Endicia labels on a 3-part label, which is handy for smaller packages.
snowflakememories

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends from your printer's quality. a good (modern) ink jet will do.
I always shrink my labels to fit the small packages I use, and I check regularly at the post office to make sure they could read the bar code.
By scaling the label, on printer settings, I found that using a 85 percent max gives acceptable results (don't go lower). I also had to choose the "draft" printer setting to use less ink, otherwise the bar code was becoming too blurred.
It may seem complicated but it is not, I have now a HP printer profile for PP labels set a 85% and draft printing as default and it works super.

I read the advice from the link provided on a previous note, there are always people giving you the best advice, but there is nothing wrong to try by yourself. It is ridiculous the suggestion to use a box inside a bigger box to fit the shipping label size.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowflakememories wrote:
It is ridiculous the suggestion to use a box inside a bigger box to fit the shipping label size.

I've taken very small boxes and popped them into a poly mailer and shipped them that way. Doesn't add any weight (less than an ounce) but gives you a lot more real estate to work with.

Also if the box is a "re-used" box it just looks cleaner that way as well.
YesterYearsGoodies

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using Firefox, one way to adjust label size is to specify a smaller scale % (like 90% rather than 100%) under the "page setup" command in the "file" menu.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: