eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

GCO email preferences
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtcollectibles wrote:
This is what I thought I read when Google was first added here

But it's not what GCO Program Policy states.

wtcollectibles wrote:
I'm getting the feeling that not many buyers actually mark the "no" choice and I'm worrying about a non-issue.

It is a non-issue in terms of communicating with the customer about their order. The Yes/No preference for e-mail marketing is an issue only if you intend to do e-mail marketing.

From GCO Program Policy at http://checkout.google.com/seller/policies.html : "Buyers may elect to receive marketing materials from you each time they order through Google Checkout. You must follow the buyer's most recent marketing preference associated with his or her email address."
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
vintagecornerstore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on how seriously you take the "we strongly recommend that you ... do not send confirmation emails" which is below the heading of

"Do not send order confirmation emails."

To me, thanking them for the order and giving the shipping time is basically a confirmation email. If no one has had any problems with doing it, then perhaps we shouldn't worry about it. I do believe they have toned the TOS down a bit from how it used to read. I believe it used to be quite emphatic that we were not to contact the customer, especially if that person did not provide their own email address. It has been awhile since I've looked at it, though.

I've had some people say that emailing to the anon. address is the same as not sending one -- that they do not go through. Does anyone know if this is true? Moon especially probably knows about this.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vintagecornerstore wrote:
I've had some people say that emailing to the anon. address is the same as not sending one -- that they do not go through. Does anyone know if this is true? Moon especially probably knows about this.

I'm pretty certain that I have emailed a customer (once or twice) via the anonymzied email address. Checking back thru my order records, I see at least 6 in the last 12 months where the anon worked correctly. If you get no reply, perhaps the customer didn't feel like it.

The entire purpose here is not to screen out emails, it is to protect the customer's email address from getting tossed around the internet for other purposes.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a buyer I expect to get 2 emails, one confirming the order and one confirming the shipment. Google sends the order confirmation email at the time the order is placed which is why eCRATER does not send an order confirmation. Sending a shipping confirmation is totally different and I have always sent my own shipping confirmation where I can give the customer a link to the hidden item and a link back to my store.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't confirm orders as when I see it I pack it up and ship it, so for my customers, their order confirmation is their shipping notification. I don't send them to GCO customers that have the NO clicked simply because if we sellers aren't sure and can agree on what it means, how can we know or understand how our customers read it and what they expect?

Since most customers don't respond at all to shipping notifications, I'm not sure if the emails through the Google system get through as some that have the yes checked also have that weird GCO address. I have had customers that clicked no and then wrote and asked me a question and since they contacted me directly, I consider them fair game to email to, as they initiated the correspondence.

All that being said, at this point I've had over 1600 GCO orders (including the ones that got canceled due to their credit card not being up to date) and haven't had any trouble with GCO at all. I always put in the DC number when packing up the order so even if I did't email a personal shipping notice, all should get one. I find if I do everything the same way habitually I don't forget to do things as easiely. I'm trying now to remember to add the DC to PP now that I know they have a system for taking the number. Not sure when that started, but since it is there I figure if I use it, it might be in my favor if some one does try to file a claim that PP has proof of some sort that I shipped and when.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:

I'm trying now to remember to add the DC to PP now that I know they have a system for taking the number. Not sure when that started, but since it is there I figure if I use it, it might be in my favor if some one does try to file a claim that PP has proof of some sort that I shipped and when.

PayPal has had a spot for the DC number for years. It's not new.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't there when I started selling and so I never noticed when it did appear. Now that I know it is there, I'm planning on trying to remember to use it. When I first started selling many of us still didn't use DC routinely and there wasn't really much of a need to. I know some still don't use DC, but most should. And then things changed for the worst. We all seems to be trying to prevent chargebacks to scammers. I have found that now that I send a DC number to everybody, that I rarely ever get a 'where's my stuff' email. When I didn't tell the customer the DC in the shipping notification I probably got at least one of those a month. Can't remember now since the last time I got one! Very Happy
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
I don't confirm orders as when I see it I pack it up and ship it, so for my customers, their order confirmation is their shipping notification.
When a customer makes a purchase on eCRATER and selects any payment other than GCO, eCrater sends an order confirmation. When the customer pays with GCO, Google sends an order confirmation. Either way, the customer receives an automated order confirmation. I don't send an order confirmation because they have already received one.

The shipping confirmation is a personalized email I send. If you add the DC to GCO or PayPal, they send their version of a shipping confirmation so I always send mine first then later add the DC so they will get my shipping notice first. Very Happy
silktraveler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

[/quote]
I've had some people say that emailing to the anon. address is the same as not sending one -- that they do not go through. Does anyone know if this is true? Moon especially probably knows about this.[/quote].

I've clicked reply and sent email to anon address a couple times and got replies - both times thanking me. They contained delivery related info that was likely not in the generic GCO notice, like Signature Confirmed delivery for over $300 and the like
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: